KTMrad

Do You Want to Help Stop Motorcycle Only Checkpoints ?

Hearing date set for Assembly Bill 1047 to ban motorcycle-only checkpoints!!

Take Action!

Urge your senator to support AB 1047!

Assembly Bill 1047, introduced by Assemblyman Kevin Jeffries , has been scheduled for a hearing in the Senate Transportation and Housing Committee on May 8. This bill would prohibit state and local law enforcement agencies that receive National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) grant money intended for a motorcycle safety program from using the money for the implementation of motorcycle only checkpoints (MOCs).

The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) and ABATE of California applaud Jeffries for this bill. It is similar to a bill introduced in North Carolina, which is now law. The North Carolina bill prevents law enforcement officials from implementing MOCs. To view the North Carolina bill, click here.

Also, Gov. Bob McDonnell of Virginia recently signed a bill into law which prohibits motorcycle-only checkpoints. For more information, CLICK HERE.

With states facing tight budgets, there are better ways to spend limited resources than on MOCs. If MOCs are truly about safety, law enforcement authorities should be pulling over all vehicles and not just motorcycles.

The AMA and ABATE of California need your help to pass AB 1047. A prewritten email is available for you to send to your elected official immediately by following the "Take Action" option and entering your zip code.

To contact your state senator, insert your zip code in the "Call Now" box to get your lawmaker's phone number. Talking points are provided for you to use with this call alert.

Again, the AMA and ABATE of California urge you to write and/or call your senator today and ask your senator to support AB 1047.

agreed- singling out a type of vehicle to "check" if is safe or legal is discriminatory

whether it be Jeeps, Street Racers, Muscle Cars or bikes

in general (and I know they have stood up to legal scrutiny) I think checkpoints are BS... even DUI checkpoints (the end does not justify the means to me... )

If you see my bike and have reason to suspect it is not legal, pull me over... but stop SOME vehicles and run them through the nitpick scanner? No thanks