CalNub

Garmin GPSMAP 60

I've been looking for a gps and it seems most people on the forum go with garmin, I see a lot of 60csx's and 72s, but i haven't seen any discussion is the plain GPSMAP 60. It's the monochrome version of the cs and csx, from what I can tell. But here are my questions, as I've got a hookup on one of these for a little under $100 (like new) and I want to make sure it's the right move:

Is 24mb sufficient?

The 60 does not have an expandable memory slot, only the 24mb storage that it comes with. Is this enough or will it render the unit a coaster after a year? I don't think i'll be a real heavy user - i just want to be able to download some tracks and not get lost when i go exploring.

Is the color screen worth the extra $$?

Obviously, if you've got it to spend then yeah, but seriously. I'm not looking to watch movies or anything, I just want to make sure I'll be able to read the screen and I know the color screen has better visibility in sunlight - is the monochrome that bad?

What maps do you need?

It only has the basemap and I know garmin's maps are expense. are there other options? are additional maps really necessary? I'm not looking for POIs or anything, maybe just topographical maps of the region (here and SW colorado).

Thanks guys, any help is greatly appreciated.

-Aaron

Here's what i'm looking at.... just so we're clear.

post-14287-018943800 1335930968_thumb.jp

Just my 2 cents, I'd spend the extra $ and get a better unit. If you're going to do organized dual sport rides, having the color screen is a benefit since you will be able to see the tracks better. Sometimes, the tracks are in different colors to denote hard/easy ways, etc. Here is a good price on a 76cx:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_11151_10001_435018_-1?cid=sc_google&creative=9472573204&gclid=CNHL7d_h4K8CFQQbQgod6jH-CA

I like the 76 better than the 60. It's a little larger, but it has a more secure ram mount. Also, I think Topo maps on the unit are almost worthless. Screen is too small to really see anything. Topo is good when planning routes on the computer though. I'd go with a version of Roads & Recreation. Garmin doesn't make it anymore, but you can find them used on advrider or ebay quite often.

Just my 2 cents, I'd spend the extra $ and get a better unit. If you're going to do organized dual sport rides, having the color screen is a benefit since you will be able to see the tracks better. Sometimes, the tracks are in different colors to denote hard/easy ways, etc. Here is a good price on a 76cx:

http://www.westmarin...CFQQbQgod6jH-CA

I like the 76 better than the 60. It's a little larger, but it has a more secure ram mount. Also, I think Topo maps on the unit are almost worthless. Screen is too small to really see anything. Topo is good when planning routes on the computer though. I'd go with a version of Roads & Recreation. Garmin doesn't make it anymore, but you can find them used on advrider or ebay quite often.

Woa $170 is a good price. I have either a gig or 2gig memory stick in mine. I have the 70cx from West Marine off Sports Arena. Next time we go riding you should try it out. I agree the RAM mount for the 76cx seems pretty good. I've hammered many a whoop through Plaster City and it stayed perfectly in place.

Ok, so i can see that westmarine listing is an awesome deal on the 76cx. But what about maps? Is the basemap enough? Or should i be prepared to buy a few? I have no idea how these work...

Basecamp is mac. Mapsource is pc. Both can be found online for free. I bought my 76cx for 180 and garmin didn't get another cent outta me. Do as you wish but the better the gps, the happier you will be. Buy now, travel far and roam the world with glee.

I have the 60csx and have not really played with the 76, but I can say that I like the 60csx. I'd have to agree with socaltrailrider about the color screen being the way to go if you're planning on following tracks. I went ahead and dropped the cash on the city navigator maps (~$75). If you're planning on trying to navigate on any streets smaller than highways you'll need it. I never really tried using it with just the base map, but I'm pretty sure it's very BASIC. With the city navigator maps I also get a surprising number of fire roads and larger trails. It's no small investment for sure, but I found it to be worth it.

All good info. I've decided to pass on the 60 and keep my eyes open for a color model, either the 76 or the 60cx/csx etc. Between the 2 i can only find a few practical differences:

1) 60 does not have tide charts (i don't really care)

2) ram mount (is this really THAT BIG of a difference?)

3) weight (i'm not carrying it... does this matter?)

4) button layout

are there any other differences that I should be mindful of? I'm eying some 60cs's for sub $100 range, used. worth the money? Considering only pay shipping compared to the 76 new from westmarine for $170 + tax (~$16)?