We had a great turnout at the trail maintenance day at Corral on Sunday. My count has 15 folks showing up and pitching in for some needed trail clearing. Many of the trails had numerous tree falls and severe brush obstruction. We broke up into teams and attacked multiple trails as all of them needed attention.

Crusty volunteered to take trail 4 and Brandon (baja2012) joined him and did a good job of opening up some tight spots. Bikeslut, Chad (1Kstep) and Wezley took trail 1 right out of Four Corners and knocked down a big chunk of it. Paulmbowers continued work on the single track between 4corners and Bobcat campground that he started on at the last work day in March. My son Ryan, Emann, Brad, Briana and I worked on trail 9 and cleared the downed tree and a lot of overhanging brush the whole length. Rory (crfxer) and Barry started at the bottom of trail 6 and worked up it a ways. Randy finally showed up and he and Mimi headed out and worked trail 6 also.

I hope I got all that right. If not it is close and feel free to post up any corrections. MAN!! We did A LOTof work as all the trails we worked had some sort of major and many minor obstructions. I got to ride all of them afterwards and could see a HUGE difference in the before and after situation.

When we got back to the trucks Briana had a flat tire and we got to heckle and harass Brad as he changed the tube out. After that Brad got his BBQ out and we cooked sausages and ate before heading out on a ride. The ride ended up in misfortunes as Emann broke a clutch lever and Briana's tire went flat again. We managed to limp back to 4 corners and everyone loaded up and left.

Ryan still wanted to ride so he and I took off to check out the reroute Bill is talking about on Ranger. I don't know, there are places to reroute it but we might be able to fix it by pulling some of the rocks out at the top. It really doesn't seem that bad and we both rode right up it. I think we need to look at this a little closer.

Ranger Tull stopped by just after we finished working and was really happy to see we are still hard at it. He said it makes a big difference in many ways and is positive PR for us as offroaders. I had noticed that trail 2 had been cleared and mentioned it to him. He said they had just cleared it so we got to thank him for that.

So everyone give a big THANK YOU to the trail crew for April 29, 2012:

Crusty, Bikeslut, Ryan, Brandon, Barry, Chad, Wezley, crfxer, emann, paulmbowers, Mimi, Randy, Brad, Briana, and mctrails.

post-4114-032703600 1335843283_thumb.jpg

post-4114-016640000 1335843290_thumb.jpg

Guest Crusty

Thank's Allen.

I was surprised to see more people helping work the trails.

I got there early so I could get in a good ride before the trails have much traffic

and to see what trails needed work.

Nice meeting and riding with you Brandon-Baja2015

Thanks for helping me with trail #4

I had a fun day and a really good ride.

Craig

Great job to all that turned up, nice to hear more than the normal group, sorry I couldn't make it but was sore from race in Tecate saturday.

On Ranger I now understand the bad bit Bill had mentioned about a reroute, I agree we might be able to fix it by pulling some of the rocks out at the top, It's not easy and with more use could cut up quite bad.

"Brad, you should check the inside of the tire for anything that might puncture the tube" an onlooker said.

rolleyes.gif

Thanks 1kstep and wezley for the help on trail 1...taking out those trees with a hatchet and a handsaw was a workout...I split up from that group to help bowers with his singletrack zengarden..."Hey!!!you're leaving twigs in the middle of the trail!!!!"

Thanks to all that came out to help! I got there a little early, and apparently rode the same trails as crusty; I saw fresh knobby tracks on 1, 4 and 3, but then I rode a singletrack that was untouched...that's the trail I went to help bowers with... I smashed my foot "non-moto boots for hiking" and hobbled around the rest of the day

Thanks Randy for setting it up, and reminding me about the date and thanks to Alan MCtrails for organizing and keeping track of us "herding cats"

Great job to all that turned up, nice to hear more than the normal group, sorry I couldn't make it but was sore from race in Tecate saturday.

On Ranger I now understand the bad bit Bill had mentioned about a reroute, I agree we might be able to fix it by pulling some of the rocks out at the top, It's not easy and with more use could cut up quite bad.

A couple of 450/650's get stuck on those rocks and that section will be a mess. There is a possible reroute on the west side that might add some turns and some drama. I'll try to get out there on wed/thur and flag it. Thanks for clearing trails everyone.

This was my first time at CC and my first SDAR event as well. I rode out on my new-to-me but old school XR400 and arrived just as Alan and group were leaving the parking lot. I worked with Rory for a while but when he left to work on a "new but gnarly single track trail" I decided that I better not follow since I wasn't wearing the right riding gear. I headed down trail 4 and trimmed a little bit but when I stopped for a drink, I found that I lost my little folding saw. I backtracked but couldn't find it so I packed it in and headed back home.

Looking forward to the next time and I promise to be on time :)

Cheers,

Barry

Glad to see the large turnout last Sunday. I think that this is the largest group we have had yet to come out and clear trails. It was nice working with Wesley and Chad for the morning, and I enjoyed taking a leisure putt around the perimeter on Sky Valley, Espinoza and Spur Meadow afterwards. Lots of flowers in bloom and greenery. Looks like Spur Meadow trail could use a trim also.

Speaking of losing things- if anyone finds a set of earphones on the "Bill's Trail" singletrack, please return them.

They're black with a silver cord that looks just like the bushes.

It was nice Meeting a few of you and look forward to next time. Such a fun place to ride! Watching Crusty Roost around that 500 was Awesome!!! Nice riding brother!! After he bailed I continued on down the Kernan cycle trail back towards Pine Valley and cut along the way. I worked on a big tree down at the corner hill climb, but we will need a saw to finish it off. I also came across a huge snake laying out across the whole track and stopped right before hitting him. I don't know if that was the best place because I was only a few feet away. We had a stair off for about 5 mins.He was not afraid at all, I thought that he might charge at one point. I was frozen and stayed still. I was kinda in a tight spot. Finally he slid off the trail and let me pass! The old Trail keeper! Thankful it was not a rattler, I probably would of ---- my self! Maybe a gopher snake but a big one five to six feet long. What a fun day with a story to boot. Until next time Cheers Brando. :torch:

Yes, was a good day and great seeing you all and meeting a few new members who showed up.

I rode out there on the 950 and got there at 9:30am, then headed out and saw most of the others. I went out to Trail 6 out of the lower campground and worked for almost 4 hours on it. Trimmed A LOT on the edges of the trail, and concentrated on opening up the corners for a better line of sight thru the corners.

Then headed back to the 4 Corners, everyone was out riding, so I got ready to leave. Just as I was crossing the road to ride Kiernan Cycle Trail back to the pavement, a rider came down the road and waved at me... I wasn't sure who it was, then found out it was Brad riding the other guy's bike with the broken clutch lever.

Brad offered me a cold Ale, so I couldn't resist. The others came back shortly, and we had a little BBQ and talked for at least an hour. Saw Richard Tull and one of the other Rangers, and we had a good chat with them also.

I took off down Kiernan Cycle Trail, then back on the twisties, headed home on Japatul, Lyons Valley then into town. Stopped by to see Ride Orange who lives on Lyons Valley....was good to see him and his wife and daughter...he offered me a cold one also...how could I resist ?

A great day...and thanks to all for going out to help out !

We're still planning on next Sunday, May 6th again. But this time we'll meet at 9am at Bobcat Meadows campground so we can have some shade, which is south on the little paved road from 4 Corners Trailhead.