motorcyclemattDR650

xr650l keeps dying

Im posting this question for my dad who has a 2008 650l, his bike starts fine sometimes then other times it wont start at all. Today he rode up the street from his house to mine and his engine was on FIRE and he didnt even have it running for 5min so do you guys have any suggestions? his valves are spot on, spark plugs good. He's gonna take it to motoworld tomorrow cuz its still under warranty just dont know how they are going to react with the smog stuff takin off any help would be great full

Im posting this question for my dad who has a 2008 650l, his bike starts fine sometimes then other times it wont start at all. Today he rode up the street from his house to mine and his engine was on FIRE and he didnt even have it running for 5min so do you guys have any suggestions? his valves are spot on, spark plugs good. He's gonna take it to motoworld tomorrow cuz its still under warranty just dont know how they are going to react with the smog stuff takin off any help would be great full

Aren't 650Ls notorious for CDI problems? I've talked with 650L owners who literally carry an extra one with them when they go riding. I don't believe the bike has changed in the last few years. Maybe somebody here who has one can swap theirs into yours to see it runs. I don't know why it would be acting up now since its only a 2008 but a CDI would be my guess.

I'm no expert. Hopefully some other 650L owners will post up.

What does "on fire" mean? Engine running hot?

XR650Ls are notorious for CDI issues, but not sure a hot engine is a symptom; most examples I have hear cut out as the bike heats up, then don't start for a while

Engine running hot- do a search- does the idle seem normal? Vacuum leak on intake? Did he remove the charcoal canister and properly plug the tubes?

Guest Crusty

Hot =lean.

I got dust in the starter button once, easy fix.

I had a spark plug cap short out, so I carry a spare. 3.50 NGK part.

PM XRBum he helped the person with the CDI problem.

sorry by on fire I meant the engine was really hot, like hotter than mine after I have been riding all day. We checked all the things you guys suggested and everything's looks good so were pretty sure its the cdi. Another thing he said when he started it friday to go to work it started fine and when he left he got halfway down the street and it just died and wouldnt start for half the day is that a cdi issue? and do u think motoworld will hassle him about removing the smog stuff? ps thank all you for the help :drinks:

Technically, they could say by modifying the bike the warranty is voided...but the modification he made should not in any way impact the performance of the CDI

As mentioned above altering the smog equipment can create a too lean condition. This can cause the engine to run way too hot if the jetting is not appropriately redone. Not sure about this model but he CDI is usually directly over the engine under the fuel tank. Extreme heat can cause insulation on wiring in the CDI and other electronic components to melt (pick up coils in the alternator etc..) I have seen these components melted but usually under extreme high heat conditions such as desert racing.

Overheating is usually the cause of CDI failure.

The CDI is located back in the battery box. Just plug and play. I would also rejet. Warranty is going to be most likely voided, just because they can.

There is no reason he needs to take it to the dealership it was purchased from. If Motoworld says no. Leave and go to South Bay, FBC, a Honda authorized service center, etc. until he gets a yes answer. If he's going to go to Motoworld, take the issue directly to the salesman he purchased the bike from and have the salesman work it into the Service department. The Sales department lives on repeat business, they need him to be completely satisfied so that he'll continue to bring in his business. The Service department is likely stacked with work and won't care if one bike or owner thinks twice about coming back.

my 1/50

After the dealer does (or doesn't) the work, search for "daves mods" for the XRL

New jet, drill the slide, and raise the needle...assuming the charcoal vent line was plugged properly that should cure the heat problem

Emissions standards have manufacturers jetting lean to pass emissions. IF the canister removal put more more air in the carb without adding gas (bigger jet) it will run hotter

As Done said; CDIs don't like heat, and aircooled bikes generate a lot of it...another popular mod for XRLs is to add an oil-cooler similar to a Suzuki DR350

If only there was an XRL website with all the info in one place rather than tidbits all over the internet =\

thanks guys he dropped it off today and they said it could possibly be a carb problem due to the fmf pipe and removed smog stuff, which dosent make sense because he did that stuff two years ago and it ran fine till just a couple weeks ago. I'll let you guys know what happens when he gets it back they said they'll have to keep it a couple days to see when it acts up and sense it starts fine sometimes and then sometimes not at all my dads not very happy. I told them that some of you guys thought it could be a possible cdi they said "there was no way to see if it faulting its either good or bad"

After the dealer does (or doesn't) the work, search for "daves mods" for the XRL

New jet, drill the slide, and raise the needle...assuming the charcoal vent line was plugged properly that should cure the heat problem

Emissions standards have manufacturers jetting lean to pass emissions. IF the canister removal put more more air in the carb without adding gas (bigger jet) it will run hotter

As Done said; CDIs don't like heat, and aircooled bikes generate a lot of it...another popular mod for XRLs is to add an oil-cooler similar to a Suzuki DR350

Hey Bob

You are right about the air cooled engines creating a lot of heat especially under Bikeslut riding conditions. My Friend Gawin the Honda dealer in Page rides an XR 400 and added the oil cooler you suggested. I know you rode an XR650L in the past and was wondering where the CDI was located on your bike. Bum says his is in the battery box but all my Hondas were directly above the engine exposing them to high heat. But I don't ride like Bikeslut so I have never had one fail.

Guest Crusty

Hey Bob

My Friend Gawin the Honda dealer in Page rides an XR 400 and added the oil cooler you suggested.

The XR 400 comes with an oil cooler.

http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1997/XR400R+A/OIL+COOLER/parts.html

I went with XRs Only Big Fin Head,on my XR 680L." expensive and worth every penny."

My bike would run hot riding 2 up in the sand.

The bike runs COOL and is plenty fast.coolio.gif

theSUV.jpg

Crusty is correct- the XR400 comes with one...the 650L does not, but many people add the XR400 oil cooler to the 650...buy the cooler, add some tubing, and install everything: you add some oil capacity and allow time for the oil to be out in the wind rather than being circulating in the engine

As for "my" CDI location...XR650noob can answer that question better than I can...it crapped out on hin

Most of the bikes I can remember had them under the seat, right behind the tank...but if bum says his is in the battery box, I believe him

Nice Bike Craig.

My buddy Gawin added e-start to his. He said the parts from a Honda quad using the same engine bolted right on.

Guest Crusty

Nice Bike Craig.

My buddy Gawin added e-start to his. He said the parts from a Honda quad using the same engine bolted right on.

Thank's

E-start is a good mod.

Craig

Nice Bike Craig.

Man, wish I could do that with my old lc4. Left-side kick adds another level of difficulty and irritation.

I had 2 cdi's go bad on 2 different xr650l's.

The bike would abruptly cut out.

Your cdi is located in the battery compartment. See image (the small black box that is hanging out).

100_4247.jpg

When i was trying to find a replacement, I searched for keywords "XR650L cdi" and could never find a place to buy it unless i called a dealer.

However, search for "Cheap XR650L Ignition Module" and you should find one for less than dealer.

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/products/331370-honda-30410-mn9-000-hard-parts-module-ignition-control-cdi

The replacement OEM cdi from the above shop has so far been good.

Before buying one, feel free to borrow mine to see if that is the issue.

Although based on my experience, it is wise to carry an extra.

Here is the link if you want to try and repair it yourself.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/881740-xrl650lnx250650transalp-cdi-repair/