PbdBlue

Spot Messages

Just curious what predefined messages you put in your spot II for the Help and Custom message functions? I'm thinking something along the lines of minor medical help request (i.e.- doesn't require helicopter) for the help function but that may be a bit redundant. For the custom message maybe something to do with mechanicals but I'm reluctant to put a help request in that function since the button is not protected from accidental activation.

I'm most worried about having to use the 911 button and have SPOT not give local authorities the best information to help me.

OK: I'm ok, checking in.

CUSTOM: I'm done for the night, staying/camped here.

HELP: Not hurt, need help. Go to http://stregalicious.com/spot/<link> to coordinate help. User: blah Pass: blah

911: (That lets SPOT know to call the local authorities)

The link on my website is a passworded page that has important information about where I am, who I'm riding with, and how to contact people that have agreed to be on my 'HELP' list. Depending on where the spot signal came from I probably also have more specific information on the easiest way to find me (I break the map up into sections by bailouts). It will have a link to the GPS tracks for that specific ride as well as my link to my profile on 'WhereAmIRiding.com'. Another reason for generating GPS tracks with 'bailout' options is if you need help, people can run those tracks backwards from the nearest piece of highway and get to you faster.

All that being said, having that in place is no excuse for not having all of the things to help you fix your own situation and being prepared out on the trail. I hope I NEVER have to call on anyone for help but I know IF I do, they'll be able to do so with all of the best information. There is no substitute for having a good towing setup, tubes, patch kit, wrenches, JB weld, zip ties, wire, CO2, and all that other stuff we carry to help us when unexpected situations arise.

Hope that wasn't too much info.

There is no substitute for having a good towing setup,

Look, that was months ago, and you don't need to keep bringing it up. Yeah,Yeah,Yeah, I had a streak of bad luck and bad decisions, but you don't have to beat it into the ground, OK?

I'm sorry. There. I said it. I'm sorry you had to tow me a little, OK?

Jeeze you'd think you'd give a guy a break, but noooooo.

Fancy tow system. Huh.

rolleyes.gif

I'm most worried about having to use the 911 button and have SPOT not give local authorities the best information to help me.

OK: I'm ok, checking in.

CUSTOM: I'm done for the night, staying/camped here.

HELP: Not hurt, need help. Go to http://stregalicious.com/spot/<link> to coordinate help. User: blah Pass: blah

911: (That lets SPOT know to call the local authorities)

The link on my website is a passworded page that has important information about where I am, who I'm riding with, and how to contact people that have agreed to be on my 'HELP' list. Depending on where the spot signal came from I probably also have more specific information on the easiest way to find me (I break the map up into sections by bailouts). It will have a link to the GPS tracks for that specific ride as well as my link to my profile on 'WhereAmIRiding.com'. Another reason for generating GPS tracks with 'bailout' options is if you need help, people can run those tracks backwards from the nearest piece of highway and get to you faster.

All that being said, having that in place is no excuse for not having all of the things to help you fix your own situation and being prepared out on the trail. I hope I NEVER have to call on anyone for help but I know IF I do, they'll be able to do so with all of the best information. There is no substitute for having a good towing setup, tubes, patch kit, wrenches, JB weld, zip ties, wire, CO2, and all that other stuff we carry to help us when unexpected situations arise.

Hope that wasn't too much info.

Agreed. Always equip for the worst but it does seem like a good idea to have a fallback just in case all else fails. I've dabbled with the website but it's probably prudent to get more serious about it for the longer outings.

Look, that was months ago, and you don't need to keep bringing it up.

Remember the story about Crawford towing me 57 miles to St George Utah? We did that with crappy tow equipment, you were lucky and got the good stuff.

Your tow helped fine tune my setup, so...thanks!!

(11mm rope > 9mm rope)

Your tow helped fine tune my setup, so...thanks!!

Look, I'm always doing you favors...it gets a little tiresome, you know.

Look, I'm always doing you favors...it gets a little tiresome, you know.

You're such a giver :)