its a 96 dr350, hmm vacuum leak eh? That sounds like more of a pain in the butt than a stuck throttle cable which is what i was thinking.

"finding" a vacuum leak may be really easy or not... spray a volatile around suspect areas that Tom mentioned

as for other possibilities- a sluggish cable or smashed up throttle tube are two easy to diagnose and repair possibilities.

another possibility is the actual part on the carb that rotates is not rotating real freely

another is a worn slide within the carb itself; again- easy to see IF you open up the carb.

but: Tom is 10x the mechanic I am, so give it a whirl- a volatile like starter fluid sprayed around boots where they enter the carb; if it's a tight seal, the idle should stay consistent, if there is a hole, it will surge

another point. Even when new, I was surprised how long the DR350 idle took to drop... I figured out, part of it is just the nature of the CV carb, but others may differ on that assessment. ALL of my bikes with CV carbs have some lag to get fired up, and hang a little bit.

Pumper carbs hit and return much quicker, which was my only prior experience

Hmm would wd40 work for spraying around the carb? I was just gonna stick a tube in my ear and move the other end around trying to find a hiss. watch it be something dumb like my mixture set wrong, i guess i will find out once i get home. Yeah maybe that is it, on my dirtbikes a few years ago they might have had pumper carbs, and that is just what i am used to. I will try to post a pic of the bike when i get home from work, if i can figure it out.

Hmm would wd40 work for spraying around the carb? I was just gonna stick a tube in my ear and move the other end around trying to find a hiss. watch it be something dumb like my mixture set wrong, i guess i will find out once i get home. Yeah maybe that is it, on my dirtbikes a few years ago they might have had pumper carbs, and that is just what i am used to. I will try to post a pic of the bike when i get home from work, if i can figure it out.

WD40 should work

If your idle speed was set wrong, it wouldn't return back at all... but... we digress

welcome to the club; if we have more discussions on the carb, let's start a new thread in technical forum, k?

Hey all, as promised here is the picture of the new to me bike. 96 suzuki dr 350se. Should be heading to cycle parts west in about an hour to pick up a helmet, armor, gloves and boots.

post-14959-034773200 1331945027_thumb.jp

Dang. That looks brand new. You sure on the year? Ha. Nicely done, you're sure to have a blast on that.

Wow. Very clean bike. Needs dirt on it. :)