Sign in to follow this  
KTMrad

Thanks to Volunteers & Thank You's from Riders

Just wanted to give a huge thanks to all the volunteers who helped make the Desert Dash run smoothly....without your help, we wouldn't be getting thank you's like this.......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Randy!

Just a note to say THANK YOU! to you and your group for a wonderful weekend of adventure. As a rider for over 40 years and new to the area of your event I had fantastic experience with ypur organization. Please keep me informed to your events. Thanks from all the Santa Barbara riders. Jeff Mcallister

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Randy,

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!

Tim Scudder and I had an EXCEPTIONAL, PHENOMINAL, FANTASTIC weekend. It was our first time riding this event. We rode a total of 380 miles. You put on a great ride. Did you also order the Weather? It could not have been better.

Great food Saturday night and good raffle.

We are already looking forward to next year.

How is the rider that went to the hospital Saturday evening with a concussion? Hope he is okay.

Thanks,

John Payton

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Desert Dash. Surely a fun dual sport ride. One that I had been looking forward to for months. The photo shows the background where the course lies... I hate rocks but I was sure to have to endure them to get some good desert riding out of it. 6.5miles into the course. I came up behind a rider and needed to slow on the rocky mountain road. There was a lot going on but the short story is that I used the front brake to slow. Using the front brake is a well honed skill that I use in street riding. Not for the dirt. Especially not on loose rock. The brakes on the KTM are very very good. My front tire locked up and down I went. The part of my body that met the earth first and absorbed the impact of my fall was the place where I didn’t have armor... my rib cage! I couldn’t have picked a better group of jagged rocks to fall on. They were perfect for inflicting maximum damage.

Once down, I couldn’t get up. I had trouble breathing and the pain was excruciating. Riders behind me stopped to help me up. For some reason I couldn’t raise my arm but I could move my fingers and bend at the elbow.

My riding buddy (Bob) stopped at the top of the hill and then came back for me. I teamed up with Bob, another solo rider, just minutes before the start. And this recent acquaintance stayed with me until the sweep riders came through. The sweep riders checked on me and rode on to a place where they could get cell/radio coverage to call for help. Bob stayed. The second sweep team rode up and stayed with me while Bob rode my bike back to the start/finish. He always wanted to ride a KTM.

The sweep riders must have been successful because a 4x4 came to get me. It was an amazing experience as everyone was at their finest. I thank the drivers, EMT, sweep crews and Bob who fell way behind and essentially gave up riding the rest of the day to make sure I got down the mountain. I thank John who helped me with the basics and then helped me get the bike loaded... post trauma. Me... well I broke my collar bone and four ribs. That explains the pain. ;-)

All-in-all, one heck of an experience even though I didn't finish. I owe a huge debt of gratitude to everyone involved and hope I can return the favor some day. I guess I won’t be riding in the Hare and Hound race next month. Oh ya.. I got a T-shirt. That was cool too. :-)"

I'm feeling better already. Breathing is less painful and I'm sure I'll be tip top very soon.

Tony

I'd like to thank stomp944 and johnnybags for riding sweep with me on Sunday. It was my first time meeting both the guys and everything went great. Both were patient at the stops, stomp saved a guy on "the steps" and johnnybags was a good shepard for any lost riders. Great pace between the stops and smooth sailing.

They, like pyro, tlking and xr650l bum volunteered to sweep day of. Carguy also stepped up and swept Oriflame Sunday afternoon. It would have been too difficult without everyones help. Shout outs to dirt dame for returning one rider to camp and driving the emt saturday and crusty and Michael15 for sweeping Sat. Cant forget dsfox and julie in the rescue durango on Sat.

Thanks to the gps guys and all the behind the scenes work at camp thst everybody did. Big props to Randy! It must be cool hearing how happy the riders were.