ruggle

North County DS Rider

Greetings! I've actually been a lurker of this board for quite a while, but never spoke up until now. I previously owned a KLR650 for a couple of years and used to tool around in the San Diego backcountry areas (and some baja). I'm pretty sure that a few regular members from this site may have helped me pick that big a*s beast up a few times in the sand on Bee Canyon some time back. Sadly I parted with that bike about a year ago. Of course, ever since then all I've wanted was another DS bike. This time I decided to go lighter and quite a bit more dirt oriented. Enter the plated 1997 Honda XR400R (well actually 440). I'm pretty hyped to hit some trails on a more capable machine. That way I can prove all the get offs and mistakes were FOR SURE my fault and not the bike's. Hope to join up with some of you folks real soon.

Russell

IMG_3336.jpg

IMG_3334.jpg

Greetings and a formal welcome to you. :party:

You weren't this guy, were you?

100_1750.jpg

Greetings and a formal welcome to you. :party:

You weren't this guy, were you?

100_1750.jpg

THAT would sure be a coincidence!

Welcome to the club; we have a couple XR400 guys here... good bike

See you on a ride :party:

Ha! That was me! The stash and KLR are no longer however. Nice pic. Brings back memories.

Ha! That was me! The stash and KLR are no longer however. Nice pic. Brings back memories.

That was about the most and the nastiest silt that I have ever seen on Bee Canyon road. Luckily, there wasn't much more beyond that point on that day. :coolio:

Welcome Russel

Nice XR400. I also once had a KLR650 but I sold it. Great bike but too big for me.

I ride Vintage Husky's and Honda XL's. I have two Honda XL350rs that were the precursors of your bike. When the dual carb XL350r didn't meet EPA specs Honda created the XR400 out of it. Don't let the KTM Orange Lemming Mania on this site bother you. There are a few of us non slave to motorcycle fashion afficionados on this site. Looking forward to riding with another nice person ("you meet the nicest people on a Honda").

Don

That was about the most and the nastiest silt that I have ever seen on Bee Canyon road. Luckily, there wasn't much more beyond that point on that day. :coolio:

Well, that was the one and only time I tried that trail. I'll take your word for it on the silt. Maybe I'll give it another go on the new moto in the spring.

Welcome Russel

Nice XR400. I also once had a KLR650 but I sold it. Great bike but too big for me.

I ride Vintage Husky's and Honda XL's. I have two Honda XL350rs that were the precursors of your bike. When the dual carb XL350r didn't meet EPA specs Honda created the XR400 out of it. Don't let the KTM Orange Lemming Mania on this site bother you. There are a few of us non slave to motorcycle fashion afficionados on this site. Looking forward to riding with another nice person ("you meet the nicest people on a Honda").

Don

Thanks for the words of encouragement Don. I actually got a chance to give the old 400 a run yesterday. It's a world of difference to lose ~140lb of bike. The weather was excellent and the trails were very nice. I went up Nate Harrison Grade (Palomar Mtn), down the Lake Henshaw side, Mesa Grande, Black Canyon, Santa Ysabel Truck Trail (awesome!),and back the way I came. Here are a few pics:

IMG_3338.jpg

IMG_3340.jpg

IMG_3342.jpg

IMG_3344.jpg

Looks like you had a great ride. Couldn't have been more perfect weather for it! :coolio:

Nice, we're getting more XR4's now. Who knows, maybe we'll have to have a small XR ride one of these days LOL.

I'm in Vista, there's another guy with an XR4 close to me too - he's on ADV, dunno if he's on this site. Calling farrington300.......heeeelllllooooooooo......

IAC, nice bike, you'll have lots of fun with it!

Guest Crusty

Nice, we're getting more XR4's now. Who knows, maybe we'll have to have a small XR ride one of these days LOL.

I'm in Vista, there's another guy with an XR4 close to me too - he's on ADV, dunno if he's on this site. Calling farrington300.......heeeelllllooooooooo......

IN for the XRsONLY ride.

Craig.

Here is a pic of my Stroker 440, Miss her.

LonePineRide029.jpg

XRs ride sounds awesome. I've been really enjoying this bike.

IN for the XRsONLY ride.

Craig.

Here is a pic of my Stroker 440, Miss her.

LonePineRide029.jpg

One of my all time favorite rides and that pic of your 400 Crusty- The Salt Tram Ride. We have to get back up there.