Sign in to follow this  
SteelRain

XR650Lbum and Pyro... Awesome Dudes

I am not going to be to flowery about this, otherwise it might seem like a man-crush.

The Tail-end Sweep team for Saturday consisted of Myself and Goofyfooter as planned but when our other planned team member was unable to ride 'Bum and Pyro stepped up and hit it out of the park.

Pyro on the KLR took all the trash we gave him about the KLR in stride and helped many a rider. 'Bum took the same flack for riding an XR650L and helped just as many guys and one more... me. In an unexpected twist of fate we had a "Watchmen moment" when we had to ask ourselves "Who will sweep the sweepers".

When my bike had an unexpected mechanical issue caused by either sheer bad luck or most likely an error on my part 'Bum talked me through getting the bike bakc together and our "'Bum approved" trail side got me through the rest of the day; no small feat since we still had well over 100 miles remaining.

For the trail side fix, I owe 'Bum immensely. For the physical effort of man handing that KLR through the sand (and the look exhaustion on his face at one point told the story) I have to thank these guys for stepping up and doing everything they did for the injured guys and the mechanical guys.

Sounds like a great sweep team. Sorry I could not be there. I am still swollen up like a balloon from my crash Thursday.

Pyro is a great KLR rider and really represents the bike well. Hope you all had a good time.

It was good to meet you David as well as your fiancee Lannette(spelling?). Had good times Friday w/u and Pyro sorry I was a party pooper Saturday...way to tired!

How far did you ride on that without an axle nut?!

Here I thought we had a scary ride back missing 8 spokes and a bunch of really loose ones.....

SteelRain dropped his nut on Day 1 on the descent on Culp towards S22. We swept the rest of the day and through the hard loop at Superstition.

tntmo I knew you would enjoy seeing that fix! Bum also saved two guys with the rim lock he was carrying, they were stoked and utterly surprised.

On an aside note: Bum and Pyro when I change my gearing back we must do a Sweep Celebratory ride from Carlsbad. I think I owe you two a beer at Alpine Brewery!

We ran into those guys. I gave them a new rear tube and they assured us everything was fine from there! Lucky they were able to get the rim lock! I heard Pyro was rewarded quite nicely later in camp!!!

I think all of the final sweep guys were studs! Dave-Steelrain for continuing on after loosing his nut. Did not even blink and rode the bike like he stole it for the rest of the ride. Pyro-Troy thanks for going bro. Tim-Goofyfooter was a stud who rode sweep both days. I would of gone with you Sun but the bike was running on no oil after Sat. Seems like it is using as much oil as gas. Time for a rebuild.

Probably the best picture I took all weekend. Goofyfoot's attitude was this the whole weekend. Took this as we were going down the road.

desertdash2012004.jpg

Obviously, I did not mean to slight anyone. You have to admit that having someone walk up to you and say "I need another volunteer" people jumping to help. The Sweep Teams are riding all day, keeping their eyes open for "lost riders", giving directions (not just to participants), fixing bikes, etc. It is not an easy job by any measure and for Tim to have done it both days says a great deal about him.

Thanks to all the volunteers!

Guest Crusty

:)

BTW, somebody surely has pics of that axle fix... :rolleyes:

Okay, okay.... ^_^

101_0505.jpg

101_0506.jpg

WOW, nice fix!!!!

My crew couldn't figure out how you did all this and caught us at lunch!!

Earlier in the day I was joking that we were doing such a good job sweeping, you would catch us.heh.gif

You guys even had time for pics.

AWESOME job!!king.gif

It was quite easy. I kicked Bum and Goofy in the shins and was trying to run away

Pyro was easy, Nobody passes a Honda on a KLR :rolleyes:

:lol:

They would have beat you to lunch if they didn't have an old lady holding them back. :lol:

Pyro was easy, Nobody passes a Honda on a KLR :rolleyes:

Oh ya?? :D(I had to wait till he was distracted to make my move) :heh:

IMG_3623.jpg

lol

Hey, thank you everyone for your kind words and humor. Special props to these three awesome dudes:

SteelRain- Thanks for leading 'Sweep Team Bravo' and doing such a kick ass job of it man. You are awesome!

Goofyfooter- Thanks for having such a great attitude all day, for keeping it light and fun, and just for being an all around awesome guy.

xr650l bum- Thanks for everything bro, for being so well prepared, for tolerating my crap all day with an easy smile and light-hearted laugh, and for always being such a great riding partner and friend.

As for me, I had a great time riding sweep with you guys saturday. We were able to help lots of people and they were all very appreciative to have us there. It was funny to have that 'who will sweep the sweep' joke running in my head all day. That last deep sand section got the best of me for a minute there, but Goofy reminded me that cold beer is my favorite kind of beer and helped me to push past the fatigue and drive on. And the following section (after the sun was out of my eyes) felt like a victory lap and I was on top of the world, like riding on a cloud. What a great day we had!

Special thanks to Randy, to all the great volunteers and friends(many of which I hadn't seen it so long), and to all SDAR. What an exceptional group of people you are, and I feel blessed and honored to be a part of it all with you.

Sincerely,

-pyro

P.S. -> 'RIDE ON FOREVER AMIGOS' :king:

IMG_3617_burn.jpg