I am the guy to took your two of your send off pictures in the morning on Saturday, I took two because your friend in white need to smile, looks like you had a good ride and safe.

It was an incredible event. Thanks to all who made it such a great time.

Special thanks to Strega and Crawdaddy for trying to help me with the gps thingamajig.

The riders in our group were Uncle Champ, KLXBEN, Brad (my son), Socalhodaka and Cousin eddie. We did 194 mi. on sat and 135 on sunday. The weather was super nice all weekend. No flats or major get-off and what at first seemed like a serious problem with a leaking valve cover turned out to be not a big deal. Lunch at Johnsons Landing was very good and filling. We were all very tired after saturdays loop and slept well that night. Dinner was delicious and the raffle prizes were top notch. My favorite part is Pinyon on sunday with its diffuculty and it was my sons first dash so I had him all pumped up for the squeeze, heart attack and fairchild. No problem at all except for fairchild where it took him 2 trys but everyone else nailed it. I got a few pictures but we had a pretty fast pace so not too many. Nice too see everyone and as usual meet new people. Dualsport folks are the best and we truly have a unique hobby. Thanks to Randy and all the other volunteers for a fun event. See ya on the trails!post-13344-022070600 1330318600_thumb.jp

post-13344-010905200 1330318685_thumb.jp

post-13344-030886600 1330318629_thumb.jp

post-13344-021695200 1330318659_thumb.jp

post-13344-068841100 1330318897_thumb.jp

post-13344-067961900 1330319403_thumb.jp

attachment=10463:0226120820a.jpg]

post-13344-003878400 1330318757_thumb.jp

Pictures are a little out of order but you get the idea.

post-13344-042001000 1330318572_thumb.jp

post-13344-007241400 1330318847_thumb.jp

post-13344-018983000 1330319212_thumb.jp

Guest Crusty

Wow, what a great event.

I had a great weekend.

First I would like to thank Strega for showing us how to use our GPS.

We never got lost!!!

Tracy and the crew really took care of us, with an awesome dinner Friday night. (Thank's all)

It was fun riding sweep Saturday, Thanks Tracey and Mikael15, great crew.

Lunch hit the spot. Thank's

I am not used to finishing in the dark, but it was fun.

Dinner and raffle, lots of prizes for all.

Sunday Mickeal15 and I set out a little early, rode at a good-safe-smooth pace, had an AWESOME ride

My wife Cristina had a lot of fun, she made a little track at the ranch, rode 18 laps Saturday and 26 laps Sundaycoolio.gif

She met a lot of nice people,and enjoyed working Sunday morning"s registration.

Thank's everyone, see you next year

Craig.

I thought the event was very well organized and absolutely had a blast riding both days!

Strega-thanks for your GPS instructions! I really couldn't believe how effiecient these guys were at downloading the tracks on everyone's GPS. I learned more in 5min listening to Roger than all the trial and error on my own.

Tracy-that was a great meal Friday! Thanks for all your efforts. I had a great time riding with you Saturday. Hope your leg felt better Sunday!

Craig-as always I had a great time riding with you! Thanks for setting a challenging but safe pace on Sunday! After seeing the pics of the line to get through some of the technical sections I'm glad we got away early....sorry I was late though :blink: Also it was great meeting Christina! Brings new meaning to the phrase "better half" :coolio:

I met a lot of really cool folks. I can't wait till next year!

Another Dash in the books…..always fun to camp/ride with my SDAR/D37 “family”……great commeraderie in the campground/on the trails….

Glad the weather cooperated this year.....thanks to my fellow GPS downloading volunteers Strega, Paul and Rexr for carrying the ball on Friday night so I could get set-up in camp.....loaded tracks again Sat morning then set off around 9ish on a southerly route.....Paul, Bagstr, Strega and I headed down to Valecito Wash to Diablo Drop to Fish Creek…….then we cut over to Superstition to hit Johnny’s GPS Sup Track.....Strega’s front brake pads literally fell off when we reached the tower at the top of Superstition (broken set pin)……so we detoured a bit and made our way over to Ocotillo for gas/lunch......Bags took us on a new-to-me stretch after lunch Strega/Paul waved us off as they slabbed it back to camp......Bags and I weren't done yet......we dropped into Canyon Sin Nombre and back through Valecito......

I only snapped two pics with my cell on Sat......one on top of Diablo and one in Fish Creek Canyon

IMAG0519.jpg

IMAG0520.jpg

Yesterday started off the same as Sat......COFFEE!......followed by GPS downloads.....most folks were already loaded from Sat so yesterday morning was an easy shift and we shut it down at 8am......Paul, Ted and I rode the std tracks until we reached the far end of Slot Canyon…….from there we broke off and headed for Borrego Springs and a few other trails....Kudo’s to the lunch sponsors/volunteers (both days)…

We headed north from Christmas Tree Circle to check out this summer’s recent addition to the Sheet Metal artwork collection.....Paul was riding really well until we encountered that Sand Dragon.....

IMAG0521.jpg

IMAG0522.jpg

Randy, thanks again for letting me drop a plug at the banquet about the CORE 4 Kids fundraiser for the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation on March 23-25th.......please register within the next week if you’d like to attend……I need a head count for T-Shirts/meals……thanks!

CORE for Kids info/registration: http://crawdadoffroadevents.com/core-calendar/view/22

I took a year off from volunteer duties to just go out and enjoy the ride. My buddy Paul joined me this year, he just got his first dual-sport bike (DR350) and was excited to do some of the trails he hadn't been able to explore before.

We arrived late Friday night to no open spots for our RV, guess reservations were only good if you got there early? Parked it on the grass for the night, my wife made friends while we were out and got a spot Saturday. Paul and I got off to a good start and were making good time and having fun, no issues before lunch. The big burgers were awesome, we tipped well so it wasn't us who were the cheapskates.

After lunch it was nice to cross the sand wash south of Ocotillo Wells without a river running through it this year. All went well until we got south of the I-8 and Paul got a flat. Started to pull his wheel and noticed a broken spoke, then another. Well, it was a grand total of eight broken spokes. I did my best to tighten the rest of them up and put in a new tube. My CO2 inflater wasn't cooperating but a few riders stopped and loaned us a pump. We said a little prayer to the motorcycle gods and rode slowly into Ocotillo. After fuel, we slabbed it back to camp.

Luckily, my wife brought her DR350 along so we sweet talked her into loaning us her wheel for day two. She agreed after I took her on a few miles of trail before dinner, she isn't ready to ride the Dash but she does want to explore a bit of the sights. Dinner was awesome but I was too tired to hang around after the big prizes were gone.

Sunday was nice, I could tell everyone was a bit slower paced. Paul hadn't explored the limits of his bike and we found the gas range limits pretty quickly. He switched to reserve with about 40 miles to the gas stop. After asking a nice couple who was camping to give us an empty water bottle, I loaned him about a half gallon of fuel. I hit reserve at Inspiration Wash, and he had to tip his bike over a few times to get the fuel to the left side. He ran dry at the stop sign going into Borrego Springs, but we almost turned his bike completely upside down to get the last 1/2 cup into the bowl and cruised into the fuel stop.

Lunch was nice, I iced down my head and had a famous PB&J sammich. I wanted to lay in the grass and nap for a bit, probably would still be there if I did. Everything after lunch went without a hitch and we cruised into camp to find my wife waiting with two cold beers. She's a keeper!

Pics later, but all in all.....best Dash ever!

Oh yeah, no GPS. Just odometer and roll chart, and it worked flawlessly. Well done.

Lunch was nice, I iced down my head and had a famous PB&J sammich.

Haha!... Now I remember you! I knew you looked familiar.

Randy and all the Volunteers,

Thanks again for a great ride. We only rode Saturday, but covered over 200 miles. My buddy Arne and I rode together until lunch, where we met up with Marlon (his buddy had bailed with a slight foot injury). Throughout the remainder of the day, I managed to impede the progress of both Arne and Marlon with my conservative pace. We pulled into Butterfield at 4:30, very happy to have made the entire easy track without issue. Bikes ran great, lunch was great, Saturday dinner was perfect. Next year we are planning on riding both days.

I carried a camera last year and didn't take one picture. This year I tried to remember to snap a few, but it appears that my memory skills are even worse than my riding skills. I took 6, four of them suck. Here's the two that are decent.

post-14270-000891900 1330365745_thumb.jp

post-14270-030953600 1330365726_thumb.jp

Thanks again!

Very sorry I missed out this year. I missed all you guys (and gals). Looks like great weather and a great time. I'll be back on my bike in a couple weeks, I hope.

Ian

This was a great event and everyone that we talked to were having a great time. Thanks to everyone for putting on such a fun event! Although, I may have to ride a smaller bike next year. The sand whoops were super hard on the wheeled anchors.

post-13612-014845800 1330373226_thumb.jp

This was a great event and everyone that we talked to were having a great time. Thanks to everyone for putting on such a fun event! Although, I may have to ride a smaller bike next year. The sand whoops were super hard on the wheeled anchors.

Jared, glad you and Brent made it out....this year's ride we had the largest turnout by local shops attending the event. Was good to see you guys on the big bikes also.

And thanks to Motoworld for sponsoring and donating some really nice raffle prizes.

After lunch it was nice to cross the sand wash south of Ocotillo Wells without a river running through it this year. All went well until we got south of the I-8 and Paul got a flat. Started to pull his wheel and noticed a broken spoke, then another. Well, it was a grand total of eight broken spokes. I did my best to tighten the rest of them up and put in a new tube. My CO2 inflater wasn't cooperating but a few riders stopped and loaned us a pump. We said a little prayer to the motorcycle gods and rode slowly into Ocotillo. After fuel, we slabbed it back to camp.

Glad to hear you made it back okay. I was with the group of 3 that stopped when you noticed the spokes were broken...

I was riding w/ Hayseed and had a blast again this year! Thank to all who worked to make this happen.

Zancat

I had a great time. Thank you to Randy, all the volunteers and all the entrants that came from all over to participate. The volunteer dinner was awesome. Thanks Tommy for the fish, Tracy, Deb, Schwinn, Carguy and crew for the cooking and prep(I am sure I am missing people). A friend of Crawdaddy brought some home-brew beer that was fantastic as well. The registration went well. All the gps geeks(with love)- Strega, PaulMBowers, Rexr, Crawdaddy were hooking everyone up and giving lots of basic instruction on how to properly use the gps devices. Everything seemed to be hitting on all cylinders this weekend.

I met many entrants from out of town this weekend. All of which had a great time and will be back.

Lots of my pics did not come out (new camera now in hand). Being final sweep, most pictures I had were people in some type of distress.

The Ural that did not make it. This guy was pissed that the mechanics did not listen when he said he needed a new clutch. Kudos to him for even taking on the event with that machine.

desertdash2012002.jpg

Steelrain is happy again after we fixed his nut less bike.

desertdash2012007.jpg

These poor guys had a failure of the tubless (install error) and ended up with 5 flats. We got them fixed up and they headed home. Talked to them that evening and they had a blast and will return again.

desertdash2012009.jpg

A friend of Crawdaddy brought some home-brew beer that was fantastic as well.

Thanks Stomp944 (Sean Tompkins) for the homebrew :drinks: .......and Tracy for the food :thumbsup_anim: ......Deb for the Cadillac Margs :smile_anim: .....great food/booze was plentiful in the campground :coolio::heh:

Thanks to Sean (Stomp944) and JohnnyBags for stepping up to help with Sweep on Sunday...Tim (Goofy Footer) would've been by himself if it wasn't for Sean and Johnny.

Thanks to Carguy who rode his 950 up to sweep the last section of Oriflamme/Rodriguez.

Glad to have made The Dash this year. I had a great time. Saturday I unwittingly ended up riding with the final sweep team, and led a tired rider back to camp on the pavement in the afternoon.

Sunday, I drove Chris (thanks for your help), the EMT around areas of the ride route. Luckily for all, it was an uneventful day for us.

The most exciting part of the weekend was when I got home after dark last night and tried to get my toyhauler backed at a 90 degree angle into the driveway without jackknifing the rig, punching a hole in it or knocking any part of the gate down. It only took 20 minutes. Swearing seemed to help.

Thanks to Randy and all the volunteers for putting on a great event, two yummy suppers and lunch stops. Also, thanks to all the sponsors who donated prizes for the Saturday night raffle.

I got a great looking crew shirt in addition to winning a tire and also scoring a Husqvarna/Motoforza tee shirt.

Seems like everyone had plenty of fun, and everybody was good company.

Here are random pictures. Not too many of the actual ride, though.

http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/ii145/dirtdame/Desert%20stuff/Desert%20Dash%202012/

Guest Crusty

Thank's Mimi, You did a great job riding sweep, helping out.

It was nice to see you. Cristina likes your toy hauler!!

Loaning your truck to Deb, then driving Sunday!!

And thanks for this pic, of Cristina working at registration.

Thank's Randy for letting her help, she learned a lot about the ride and hopes she can help out more next year.

101_0515.jpg

Been wanting to do the Desert Dash for a few years, but something always came up. This year I finally made it. Even with having to get a rebuild on the KTM motor a couple of weeks before, (great job to Jim at Martin's Motorcycle Specialties) and the the transmission going out on my truck at the same time. Every thing came back together in time for the Dash. Great time, great weather and awesome job to everyone who put it together. Even got to check my skill at changing a flat tube on the trail. Already told my wife that the only thing guaranteed to be on the 2013 calendar is next years Dash.

post-13426-058365000 1330394381_thumb.jp

My buddy Stan getting sideways on the hill.

post-13426-038182500 1330394396_thumb.jp

A little help as riders come down.

post-13426-096556200 1330394409_thumb.jp

The bicyclist that suprised me, resulting in my first slide out of the day. (Not my last) He apologized but I told him it wasn't his fault, it was mine. Told him there were many more behind me so watch out.

post-13426-023378800 1330394420_thumb.jp

Stopped for a minute to adjust cameras, only to be passed by 20 riders on the trail.

Had a fantastic time. First time to seriously ride a 990. I found new muscles B) Hope to be out again in the near future. Thanks again Randy and all who put this awesome event together. Headed back out this weekend to run TDS. Planning on hitting up Johnsons Landing, looks to be a new favorite!

BC

Great friends, Awesome weather, fun riding sunday and quite exciting being an "ambulance driver" saturday.......special thanks to

Schwinn for the comfy couch in the schwinn inn....sooo beat dragging the old motorhome, trailer, etc etc...

Tracy, john, tommy, and crew for an amazing dinner friday...

Mimi for the use of her SUV to drive EMT Chris on saturday and Julie for tagging along with us....

EMT chris for being so cool and collected in the face of 3 major incidents....and giving me (and julie) practical lab work for our otherwise classroom learned first responder training....

Randy for all the hard work to put on a great event..

All my SDAR family that never ceases to entertain and provide much laughter and fun......

The BLESSING of the BEST weather....

Dr. J for riding with me on sunday

Here's some pics:

stuffing packets friday afternoon

P6230001.jpg

volunteer dinner friday

P6230005.jpg

P6230004.jpg

SATURDAY: I was driving EMT chris around for the day....Pastapilots' Julie joined us.....all in all we had a full and eventful day, but it was fun also...I send Best wishes out to the injured parties....Hope they all recover fully and quickly..

INCIDENT 1,

We had just arrived at 78 from butterfield when we got cell service and our first call....rider down, broken collar bone half way up oriflamme mt.....it's a bit more rugged driving a truck up there ...luckily the rider was close to the one and only spot to turn around up there....I wouldn't really want to BACK DOWN that particular route...we also gave a ride to the Urals passenger so she could get him a tow...

P6240007.jpg

INCIDENT 2

Right before lunch, we came on a bicycle rider who had just gone down on highway S22...his pedal had sheared off....weird...though not part of our event, of course we stopped to help......he had a minimum of broken ribs...so chris put him in a C collar and back board and called the ambulance....julie and I helped where we could...

P6240008.jpg

P6240009.jpg

P6240013.jpg

INCIDENT 3:

5:30 pm, just waiting for final sweep near canyon sin nombre....got another call from roger....rider down needs immediate medical assistance....

He was on vallecito wash just 8 miles from us, so we got there very quickly.....This one was serious....sure hope he is doing well....if anyone hears, please post up...

Just 0.6 miles from the end of the dirt for the day, the dust from his group of 6 previous riders filled the wash and with the bright sunset light in his eyes...he nailed this rock....and ended up 60 feet up the trail after the bike went out of control....I guess he was unconscious for 20 minutes...he was just coming to when we arrived....the ranger and a couple riders with EMT training had just arrived also...But Chris took control and did an amazing job...Way to Go Chris.....he treats dirt riders ALOT with the D38 racing circuit..another C collar and back board...I think every emergency vehicle in the desert ended up coming out there at one point as darkness took over..a multi agency effort......Not long into it, they called the helicopter to take him to the hospital......they don't mess around with head injuries...sure hope he is doing well.

P6240024.jpg

P6240014.jpg

P6240018.jpg

P6240022.jpg

P6240030.jpg

SUNDAY:

Rode about 80 miles with my good friend Dr. J....happily, No more incidence ... just a nice ride.......to end a fantastic weekend....Thanks all...

P6250031.jpg

P6250036.jpg

P6250040.jpg

I saw you folks off on Saturday morning, and wished that I could ride with all of you, but my job got in the way. Hope I can join up for next years ride, looks like all of you had a blast.