vandrz400

Xr400 oil change help

A friend of mine just picked up a 01 xr 400 , it's a BEAST, need to do oil change and don't have a book. I found some thing that said 2 quarts but nothing about what kind. I know a book is best but I want to ask somebody that knows something about these Hondas

Try this (hopefully it comes through). PM me your info if it doesn't and I will try to email it to you.

Edit: Looks like it will not attach. I'll try it again for you if you want to PM me your info.

Lots of oil threads- do a search

But- do not use an oil with "friction modifiers"...check the label carefully

Bikes use the engine oil for the clutch too, and friction modifiers make tjust under the steering tube-

he clutch slip- also; most bikes have two drains for oil- the bottom under the engine and Ín the frame at the front

Lots also have two filters- the paper or stainless filter in the engine, and a stainless screen in the frame- paper filters get replace and stainless filters can be washed

Don't worry TOO much about the brand or API rating- change it often

Nice find, he'll enjoy the bike.

I use Shell Rotella 15w-40, or 5w-40 full synthetic in mine if it's going to be a hot ride. As has been said, change it often. Check API ratings. YMMV.

Oh, forgot to add it's actually 1.9 quarts for fill, with filter change...but I always dump in 2 quarts. No isses with mine, his might blow a bit of oil until it evens out, as some do.