roadchick

WR 250X first dirty ride

Any suggested places to ride my WR for the first time with its dirt tires and wheels? My bf switched them out and we want to ride tomorrow. He just put his new dirt tires/wheels on his KTM 690 last night too.

another vote for Otay... just KEEP the speeds DOWN... blind corners, speeding Border Patrol, and long drops (not steep per se; just a LONG incline)

Park at the small store at Thousand Trails, and head up the "paved" road just to the West... dirt almost immediately; great views.

You can also look at some of the more difficult trails near the main road and decide if you want to tackle those.

I assume, I just do a search for Otay Mountain? Silly, I know, but I have no idea where Otay Mountain is other than near Otay Lakes? LOL

1000 Trails / Pio Pico is the jump off point. Scroll down - on left - local area maps. Face the store, look right. There should be an open metal pipe gate with the road BS mentioned. Go up.

And as mentioned, it is a road....with traffic sometimes.

We are loaded up and ready to drive somewhere warm. How about glamis north? Looking for a place with not a lot of sand?

it's 2.5 - 3 hours from ya. No sand....Corral Canyon. 1 -1.5 hours. Do the perimeter road to start. Make sure you get an Adventure Pass at Big 5 or the market in Pine Valley. Park at 4 corners, go see Norm in the tower, etc.

Plenty of mild stuff there. Perimeter road was done by my son on a '70's XL250 when he was just starting out 2 years ago. Not that rocky and easy to miss those that are there.

Just tryin' to help.

Bf says lotsa rocks at Corral Canyon

Not enough to worry about. Keep to the green trails (easy trails) and you should have an excellent/easy first day of dirt. That said T.H. is on point with starting with the ring road, I would then tak the ATV trail to the ranger station and back then hit Trail 1. Once you have done that you will have the skills you need for ANY of the green trails and most of intermediate trails out there.

Any other suggestions? We are willing to drive.

Ocotillo Wells - But there is some sand

Plaster City - Same as OW

Otay - Be careful of vehicles

Any other suggestions? We are willing to drive.

we had a wet week out East... "I" would not go to Corral Canyon... the rocks aren't too bad, but the mud gets slimey.

"I" would (read that "am") going to Lark/McCain Valley... much better when wet

other areas that are good... Jacumba, exit 77 off the 8. But most of that is not REAL noob friendly

Plaster City/Painted Gorge- Evan Hughes Hiway in the town of Ocotillo (NOT Ococtillo Wells) some sand there

Glamis North has sand... plenty of it... experienced riders won't even notice it, but I did it with my 10 year old on his XR70 and he was having fits.

Ocotillo Wells... some sand, but you can get off the main washes and ride the trails around Pumpkin Patch Etc... not too much sand there

I was going to link you to the Thumpertalk "where to ride" but it has been disabled

http://www.thumpertalk.com/w2r

So I'll keep rambling... Superstition has sand... Glamis has tons of sand...Jacumba has rocks and sand.

I'll stick with Lark or Otay

We ended up going to Glamis North KOA, it was a great day with awesome weather. Really liked the WR with the knobby tires.

Glad you guys got out and had fun....will you both be heading out for the Core 4 KIds weekend out there? I'm looking forward to that....hope to see you guys there...

We are going to Moab next month.

Excellent plan.......you'll love it.... :smile_anim::coolio:

My bf has been going the past 15 years, he races off road Jeeps, this will be my first time experiencing it in the dirt, have gone through while on a street bike tour one year I road to South Dakota, and back through Colorado.