roadchick

Where should I ride if going alone? I'm a beginner

Wanted to go for a ride tomorrow on my WR250 but could not get the dirt tires put on today, so I'm riding my NX250.

Where do you recommend I ride?

I always say: If you have to ride alone, ride someplace that you are familiar and comfortable with.

I guess I should not ride tomorrow then. I'm not familar with any of the off road trails. I guess I will stick to my

road bicycle.

Or just do a street ride with friend's!

Thanks for the post! :)

Good idea! It's beautiful weather for a street ride to some mountain venue where you can have a nice lunch with your street buddies. :party:

Oh heck, ride your scooter. Go to Pine Valley and take Noble Canyon out past the Bible camp. I am pretty sure it's paved all the way to the top of Laguna. There is a fair amount of traffic so you won't be alone.

If you get in trouble call me , I'm only 15 minutes away.

I guess I should not ride tomorrow then. I'm not familar with any of the off road trails. I guess I will stick to my

road bicycle.

Thanks for the post! :)

Anyone can read these forums you shouldn't announce your riding alone someplace. Just saying...

Good point! I was not thinking that everyone can read this stuff? Going on a street ride with a bunch of friends now so this is moot!

Otay Mountain is swarming with Border Patrol. Solo rides always seemed like a safe thing to do there with the level of law enforcement in the area.

I know it's a bit late but maybe for next time.

Anyone can read these forums you shouldn't announce your riding alone someplace. Just saying...

That's why I cancel rides that I post that I don't get any responses to. If nobody from the forum is going to join me, I still go for a ride, but change my venue.

Great Points...I know some of the girls ride alone, and I do on rare occasions...

BUT guess I'm just old school and not "modern" enough...I still feel it's different and more dangerous for women to be alone out in the wilderness.......

(yeah, yeah, yeah....I here the comments......"if you don't want DANGER...Why do you ride a dirt bike?".)

......I look at it as Risk Management....I like to be as safe as possible while enjoying my favorite sport.

.....I look at it as Risk Management....I like to be as safe as possible while enjoying my favorite sport.

That's the ONLY way to look at it as far as I'm concerned. I'm not going to compromise safety for 'fun'.

If you're riding solo, have a plan:

1. Know where you are going
  2. Tell people where you are going
  3. Check out when you leave
  4. Check in regularly
  5. Check in when done

I have a network of people I alert EVERY time I go riding. I send the GPS tracks to people, I send them a link to my SPOT, and I follow the above. I still call my dad every single day I'm out riding on a multi-day trip to let him know I made it safely to my destination. If there places I know I won't have reception, it's usually easy to see where I am by checking my SPOT link.

It's like flying, you file a flight plan and let someone know where you are going. If you don't close your flight plan, people will come looking for you.

Don't let that scare you, riding alone can be fun, just be prepared. Extra Food, Water, tubes, tools, etc.

There is a woman in the BMW Club who did cross county stuff by herself in the '70s and '80s.

Weren't you worried?

No. Was I supposed to worry?

Good point.

I have a network of people I alert EVERY time I go riding. I send the GPS tracks to people, I send them a link to my SPOT, and I follow the above. I still call my dad every single day I'm out riding on a multi-day trip to let him know I made it safely to my destination. If there places I know I won't have reception, it's usually easy to see where I am by checking my SPOT link.

It's like flying, you file a flight plan and let someone know where you are going. If you don't close your flight plan, people will come looking for you.

Don't let that scare you, riding alone can be fun, just be prepared. Extra Food, Water, tubes, tools, etc.