bboyle9

I can't remember how I got here

So after about a 250 mile ride of purely pavement ride last Thursday goofyfooter dragged me out to pine valley Friday afternoon for a couple hours of riding. I fired up my Dr 650, decided not to heed the high wind advisory and met him at pine valley.

The plan was to do a couple hours of riding and b back in time to hang out with some friends. Basically, the ride was over before it started. I was feeling pretty confident, and unlike usual I actual felt like I was going kinda fast. going down a large rocky, rutted out downhill, I,started to get a little squirly, grabbed too much front brake and then everything started to happen in slow motion.

I hit a rain rut, unfortunately the Supercross style front end on a 99 Dr 650 isn't capable of these type of impacts and the next thing I know I'm laying face first in the dirt unable to breathe.

We didn't even make it to the helicopter pad, 4.5 mi and 12 min into the ride, I completely knock myself out.

It was like I got hit wit a Tyson left hook. I woke up trapped under the bike, my boot was melting on the pipe, the wind was knocked out of me and I couldn't remember how the hell I got to where I was.

I spent the next 30 min trying to relive my childhood in hopes that it would facilitate some short term memory recovery.

After a while I felt good enough to ride back in, we borrowed some guys ramp to load my bike and then headed home.

I had never been knocked out, I gotta say it's a weird feeling. I guess my career as a professional boxer is gonna b put on hold for a while now, or at least until the brain swelling reduces.

Yikes.

I'm telling your mom. coolio.gif

TIme for a NEW HELMET.

Nevermind that BS is still using his compromised helmet from when he was towed tot he ground by Ozzy.

Glad you're ok.....

I had that helmet sent to Bell and X-rayed to ensure it still offers the necessary safety....

And yeah- getting knocked out (not my first time) is a weird thing...consider visiting a Dr if you feel any nausea, or vision things. Had a buddy endo on Anderson Truck Trail and he was having doule-vision; ended up stretching an optic nerve or something.

Its a dangerous thing we do

Hope you make a speedy recovery. :coolio:

I was just out there yesterday and didn't see any DR650 shaped depression in the trail out that way. :rolleyes:

I went in at Ocotillo this weekend. Gashed left arm, bruised hip and couple cracked ribs. Been a long time since I've been down like that.

Sorry for your short ride (mine was 2.8 miles), but glad you are okay. Take it easy and keep things in check to make sure all is well.

Aside, from some bruises and muscle soreness I'm totally fine. It was my first crash of any considerable speed. Just fortunate enough to not have any serious injuries, I knew there was a reason you guys kept telling me to buy elbow pads...

I'm quite upset at myself for not getting this glorious moment on film. My failure to capture the action has haunted me these past few days and I fear it will haunt me for years to come.

From my vantage point, bboyle9 was cooking (looking like a JS7 Jr.), and hit a diagonal rain rut descending a hardpack/rocky downhill. His front end fully compressed (the thing is so soft it deep sea dives when you get off throttle at speed), effortlessly bottoming out the springs and then bucking him half sideways on rebound. His Deathwing front and rear Kenda K761 went sliding as he locked up the front wheel and he went DOWN.

Of course my initial reaction is always to laugh at these events but as I watched his motionless and awkwardly contorted body slide down the slope I for a second felt this unusual feeling of "concern".

I immediately "parked" my bike and ran up to him. He still hadn't moved as I attempted to find the bike's kill switch (it was still running and the rear wheel was spinning fast). It wasn't until I had killed the bike and started lifting it off him that I heard him wince for breath. His boot was caught under the pipe (no side panel ouch) but he was moving.

He had no clue how he got to the trailhead and I think he tried explaining to me that he just cased it on a 75 foot triple or something. When he finally came to his senses and admitted that I was unmistakably the better looking of the two of us, I figured he was good enough to ride back to the truck.

On the drive home we picked up TrophyHunter's old knobbie rear (Thanks!). Today we're gonna try (and fail and try again) to mount that sucker. Anybody have a used DOT front they want to get rid of cheap?

This basically sums up his experience on friday:

I have the front stocker off of my XR650 you can have. It is still in good shape, but I replaced both tires on my bike when there rear was shot, so I kept it, just in case. I'll have to go look at what size it is though.

That'd b awesome, I'll send u a pm so we can meet up.

And I know I don't have a concussion cuz no matter how hard I hit my head I'll always remember I'm better looking than goofyfooter.

I've had one really bad concussion and I know the feeling far too well. Waking up in all your gear, not knowing who anyone is around you yet you know you're supposed to know them is a really really strange feeling. Glad you don't have any lasting injuries, go get a new helmet ;)

Anything with an ECE rating would be great ;)

I have a new Kenda Knobbie 21 you can have. I also have an 18 606 that has some life if you want that as well. Glad you did not get hurt any worse.

Glad you seem to be OK!!.....crashes of any kind are never fun for the one crashing :blink: ...(though they can at times be entertaining to the riding buddies :coolio:)

tims narratives are always colorful and fun to read...see you out there soon......

Glad you came out of it okay. The helmet you picked up with the tire has some scrapes, but never a hard impact. BS watched the worst of it as I chased a tea kettle with my a$$ in N. AZ. Front brakes can be treacherous. If you're not at the point of upgrading the suspension, it might help to take the stock spacer out and replace it with a longer piece of PVC to add some preload. Very simple process & I'd be glad to help if ya want.

....... Front brakes can be treacherous....

Yes, but also can be most helpful....I think?

I'm still kind of a rookie, but working to use BOTH brakes on steeper down hills much more in recent months..... and it has made a huge difference in helping me down in much more control....I think I learned that at the last SDAR meeting from the dirt rider coach's talk??.... I always love to hear new techniques to survive obstacles

I had a street get off where I was dazed and doing illogical things afterwards - like trying to kick start my VFR. Sent the X-11 to Shoei for a free inspection and got a form letter back with the helmet saying it was trashed. I would like to x-ray it or something since it only has a small scrape on it.

Sent the X-11 to Shoei for a free inspection and got a form letter back with the helmet saying it was trashed. I would like to x-ray it or something since it only has a small scrape on it.

The problem with crashed helmets is not just with the shell. The styrofoam liner is designed to absorb impact by compressing. But once it has been compressed, it stays somewhat compressed so it loses some of it's original shock absorbing quality.

....... Front brakes can be treacherous....

Yes, but also can be most helpful....I think?

I'm still kind of a rookie, but working to use BOTH brakes on steeper down hills much more in recent months..... and it has made a huge difference in helping me down in much more control....I think I learned that at the last SDAR meeting from the dirt rider coach's talk??.... I always love to hear new techniques to survive obstacles

In re-reading, I assumed GF's description of "locking up" meant the front brake....maybe it just stopped. Yes, they can be good on downhills (I use mine a lot - very lightly).

You can only brake equal to your traction...straight up, on grippy asphalt and you can do a stoppie- cross-rutting on a heavy bike that already has bottomed out suspension, while turning means you get to use NO front brake basically-

Better to power out, but that's easy to say from my couch...had a similar cross rut on the DRZ a few years ago and tried to stay with it, and power out...and "just" missed saving it...face plant going at a good clip...you fared worse than I did...good luck on your recovery; the body aches will last two days in my experience

I rode a DR650 for years. Improved the front suspension with a set of Progressive Suspension fork springs, HUGE improvement! I think Progressive also offers a pretty good, reasonably priced rear shock. Put a few bucks into the bike and better tires and you'll be amazed at the difference.

Glad to hear you're OK, sounds like quite a ride. I've quite a few knockouts but fortunately none on dirt bike despite some pretty huge crashes, but in each of my cases I have a 30-60 minute memory blank from just before the incident to coming around in hospital (which once included me somehow getting home 1/4 mile with my bicycle after the crash and my mum seeing all the blood and huge lump on my head taking me in, none of which I remember).

I must say my attempt to "power" out was thwarted by my distinct lack of skill.

Someone once told me if u don't crash it means your not going fast enough.

I will messaging some of you for your generous tire offers but I'd love to hear more stories about people knocking themselves out and trying to kickstart their street bikes

I must say my attempt to "power" out was thwarted by my distinct lack of skill.

Someone once told me if u don't crash it means your not going fast enough.

I will messaging some of you for your generous tire offers but I'd love to hear more stories about people knocking themselves out and trying to kickstart their street bikes

Well- here is the whole story of my recent biff-

I was riding in a rocky singletrack when my DRZ died and wouldn't fire back up- I called Ozzy who showed up with his bike and a tow rope- pulled me out of some technical areas (good riding by him)...when we got to a fire road, I bump started the bike, pulled alongside to wave "I got it"...he stopped before either of us noticed the strap had wrapped around my handlebar...I went down quick...next thing I knew I was getting up from laying in a dry creek bed...jumped on my bike and got back to the truck

Called Ozzy a day or two later..."Hey; thanks again for the help....I'm really glad I didn't make YOU crash too"

He says "dude...when you went down, I used you and your bike as a jump, and then I crashed too!"

Who knew? But...that may have explained the body aches for 3 days

My heat stroke was worse...I don't remember much of anything and experienced short term memory loss for days...in budget meetings at work, and could not answer basic questions, nor compute simple math in my head. About a week of mild retardation