chickenheart

Magellan CrossoverGPS

so i ran across this GPS unit and was wondering if any one has it and if its any good. i really want to get one as its an all in one type.

magellan

DO NOT buy a Magellan.....there's nothing wrong with them (my first GPS was a Magellan Sport Trak that I bought to use at the Baja GPS rides years ago......because that was the unit they recommended) but Garmin is sort of the "std" these days for Dual Sport use and they use a different/proprietary software that doesn't interface with Magellan.

Most of the organized rides these days offer "Garmin" GPS tracks at registration......you'll be S.O.L if you show up with a Magellan.....

so i ran across this GPS unit and was wondering if any one has it and if its any good. i really want to get one as its an all in one type.

magellan

My recommendation would be to snag a 60csx:

SDAR discussion on 60CSx

magellan

On the Dualies Charity ride the guy before me was having problems downloading the GPS tracks, he had a Megellen. I redownloaded mine on the garmin without problems.

magellan

DO NOT buy a Magellan.....there's nothing wrong with them (my first GPS was a Magellan Sport Trak that I bought to use at the Baja GPS rides years ago......because that was the unit they recommended) but Garmin is sort of the "std" these days for Dual Sport use and they use a different/proprietary software that doesn't interface with Magellan.

Most of the organized rides these days offer "Garmin" GPS tracks at registration......you'll be S.O.L if you show up with a Magellan.....

so is there a way to convert the tracks( my wife still wants to get one for the truck and when we go to the river so this would be a great thing) just want to see if i'll need to get another kind for the bike

magellan

so is there a way to convert the tracks( my wife still wants to get one for the truck and when we go to the river so this would be a great thing) just want to see if i'll need to get another kind for the bike

I'm not GPS smart enough to know about converting tracks......if I were you I'd just buy a Garmin......you can buy a windshield suction cup/mount for the Garmin handheld to use in the truck along with a power cable that plugs into your cigarette lighter......or buy a slick/talking Garmin for your wife to use in the truck....

magellan

My recommendation would be to snag a 60csx:

SDAR discussion on 60CSx

I second this. I did a TON of research after which I decided this was the best overall unit. Tough enough for dual sport rides yet easy enough that my wife can use it in her car. :clapping:

These guys all have a point. Magellan is a pain if you plan to do any type of upload/ download of data. However most GPS units can get you to point A then B, but if you can't do anything with the information then it is like taking a picture and not developing it.

I just did a review on a Magellan 500LE explorist and I could not even connect it to the computer. When I called customer service, the guy ran through the "script" then determined that I needed a new cable. FYI- it still did not work after the new cable.

As for the Crossover, check out this link. Read the comments of the reviewer. Basically he said, just buy an inexpensive handheld for offroad, it will just make your life easier. Hybrid models can do the basic functions of an auto unit and an offroad unit, but it is not the best for either.

http://www.gpsreview.net/magellan-crossover-gps/

The Garmin 60csx seems to be the favorite for offroad. Or you can get an inexpensive etrex and pick up a Garmin c330 for the wife.

These guys all have a point. Magellan is a pain if you plan to do any type of upload/ download of data. However most GPS units can get you to point A then B, but if you can't do anything with the information then it is like taking a picture and not developing it.

I just did a review on a Magellan 500LE explorist and I could not even connect it to the computer. When I called customer service, the guy ran through the "script" then determined that I needed a new cable. FYI- it still did not work after the new cable.

As for the Crossover, check out this link. Read the comments of the reviewer. Basically he said, just buy an inexpensive handheld for offroad, it will just make your life easier. Hybrid models can do the basic functions of an auto unit and an offroad unit, but it is not the best for either.

http://www.gpsreview.net/magellan-crossover-gps/

The Garmin 60csx seems to be the favorite for offroad. Or you can get an inexpensive etrex and pick up a Garmin c330 for the wife.

have you heard anything about this one Rino 530HCx. i like it because of the capability to send emergency coordinates to rescue peolpe. i have it narrowed down between the 60csx and this one.

have you heard anything about this one Rino 530HCx. i like it because of the capability to send emergency coordinates to rescue peolpe. i have it narrowed down between the 60csx and this one.

That one looks pretty nice but I don't know anything about it. It does look a bit larger and heavier and I prefer to keep weight off my handlebars if possible. Fwiw, I always carry a radio in my Camelback when I ride just in case of an emergency where I can't get cell coverage.

That one looks pretty nice but I don't know anything about it. It does look a bit larger and heavier and I prefer to keep weight off my handlebars if possible. Fwiw, I always carry a radio in my Camelback when I ride just in case of an emergency where I can't get cell coverage.

its about 3 oz heavier than the 60csx but from the discription on garmin.com its not just a radio but will send out the gps info to others also so it might be worth it the real issue i have is it seems to be less user friedly than the 60csx. i guess i'll just find a gps store near by and play with the different models. i do really like the looks and functions of the 60. im just cheap and want to make sure i get the most function for my money. btw does anyone know of a good cheap geocaching gps for my daughters girlscout troop preferable under $150

its about 3 oz heavier than the 60csx but from the discription on garmin.com its not just a radio but will send out the gps info to others also so it might be worth it the real issue i have is it seems to be less user friedly than the 60csx. i guess i'll just find a gps store near by and play with the different models. i do really like the looks and functions of the 60. im just cheap and want to make sure i get the most function for my money. btw does anyone know of a good cheap geocaching gps for my daughters girlscout troop preferable under $150

Personally i am "eyeballin" the Garmin 60csx or one of the Rhino series. The radio with GPS "buddy" location is cool if you get split up with another rider. The Rhino 530HCx is pricey and i think that is due to the 5-watts of transmit power (14mile straightline radio), color screen, and the expandable memory. As you go down the series, you shed features. The 14 mile radio with GPS location will only be necessary in emergencies and that is if you are in back-back country and your cell phone doesn't work. If you are riding with a buddy, then a 2-5mile radio should be just fine.

At Garmin you can compare (side by side)the features on the models. Check it out and see which features you want and you could save a good amount of money.

Now this is just my opinion through research, so if anyone has actually had one in their hands, let us know.

There is a way to convert Garmin to GPS using a computer, I have a friend who has the software to do it. Anyone let me know if you need access to , or the name of this software.

I have a Magellan GPS I want to sell, Meridian Platinum, only used a couple of times...with map software...I'll eventually post it in the For Sale Forum.

OK i think i've decided on the garmin 76 csx it has all the features of the 60csx plus the unit floats (just in case my A** drops in a lake) and its about $50 cheaper so now i just have to talk the wife into it. maybe fathersday