Dan Diego

ABS/Non-ABS Skid Pan Test

Sure the ABS test is cool, but I just want to play on the skid pan. :coolio:

Wet skid test on motorcycles with & without ABS

I'd like to see the test between ABS and non-abs without just ham-fistedly locking the front and rear brake.

They never show those tests.

WHY?

Because a experienced rider or racer will win out over abs in that circumstance.

It has been a BMW favorite- I saw the demo as early as 1989 with their little outrigger rig.

Totally lock up the brakes- see? It falls down.

But with ABS- oh, no...

I'm pretty sure that ABS is a huge advantage for most riders in the wet. Yes the video is stupid just locking the front brake, but it does show very clearly what happens when you do. I'm sure that even experienced riders could/might lock the front in the wet during a panic stop.

CiD

I'm sure that even experienced riders could/might lock the front in the wet in during a panic stop.

I suspect I might- but I'd still like to se an honest comparison.

I'm sure that even experienced riders could/might lock the front in the wet in during a panic stop.

I suspect I might- but I'd still like to se an honest comparison.

Well I have ABS on my 990. The next time it rains if anyone without ABS wants to have a breaking contest I'm game.

Covered in ABS

One of my last track weekends (I was only coaching at TDs at the time) we tried this on one of the demo bikes at the skid pad the track had generously wetted for us... good thing they were doing it anyway...lol

I personally took the bike to an idicated 80mph then broke hard and under control on a bike i had never riden in the wet.

Using the ABS I used my same skillset and stopped about 20 feet further. My ability to modulate the brakes and control the slide gave me the advantage over the basic facitry ABS systems. I know on racebikes traction/wheelie control aslo helps with braking but top tier racers will not use it, because by the time you get the Expert ranks (pre AMA) you can out think the computer. However wheelie and slide control are VERY useful to a racer if tuned approprately. These things are not a one size fits all tool by ANY MEANS.

I would take on CiD with my BMW (with ABS off) even on the heavier bike. If he wins, I will take my licks if he looses you will never hear the end of it.

Best option is just to wait until Jamie Hyneman (Mythbusters) gets involved. He has expressed interest on several TrackDay and sportbike forums as well as the Mythbusters Forum. He rides at a high TD level (advanced group) and ocasionaly races CCS in an amerature class (non-provisional). His level of riding is above most road riders but is a great medium.

The only downside to "indipendant testing" is we have bias, fear (of dropping a bike/expense), and no ability to ensure 100% identical test case.

ABS has come a LONG way in the last two years, but I am fairly sure 85% of Expert Racers (and above) and Advanced Class TD riders (in reputable TD orgs) can still out perform it.

ABS has come a LONG way in the last two years, but I am fairly sure 85% of Expert Racers (and above) and Advanced Class TD riders (in reputable TD orgs) can still out perform it.

Using those stats, that leaves about 99% of people that ride motorcycles unable to outperform it. :torch:

I think it is a net plus for most who ride bikes.

Using those stats, that leaves about 99% of people that ride motorcycles unable to outperform it. :torch:

I think it is a net plus for most who ride bikes.

Not arguing that one bit. However, it should be a choice not mandated as several organizations with strong lobbying powers are attempting to do.

Soon we won't be able to afford insurance for street bikes without it if we can even get insured for bikes without it.

I hear a lot of people naysaying ABS, but the motomag journalists doing the "shoot outs" generally say it makes a difference.

Maybe on my next bike.

Can I get it for heart attack hill?

Chicken.

I know I know it won't work in the dirt, and yes I know how it works. But would'nt it be cool sometimes.