blind_in_1_ear

my local shop experiences are lackluster aka maybe it's just me...

heya kids!! little story time...

i ride a DRZ, really i DO!, and every so often i need stuff for it...and location of my local shop is amazing for me...like CLOSE.

so i have tried MANY times to utilize them for parts and whatnot...oil filters, oil, washers, etc(*which have been sourced, and i could have order online...quicker...but i digress...)

2 times in a row now(*1st time sprocket related, and now sprocket bolts*), i have got the "we don't sell DRZ, and unless you have the part, so i can compare it, then i can't order it and know we are getting right part." which feels kinda futile from the get go...

just VERY frustrating, and honestly, kinda annoying as a customer...yeah, i CAN order online, but i am a fan of "in my hands" shopping...if that makes sense..

seems odd to me, in this environment, to limit ones customer base...

*shrug* guess i will just buy from other places.

B)..just called a "competitor" and "they're on the shelf, i'll have 'em ready for you when you get here!" and a "have a nice day"

*edited by me***---i realize my own errors.

they probably CAN'T order directly from Suzuki, so by definition, ALL of the parts they can get will be aftermarket parts. THEY are then trusting the aftermarket/on line company to provide the right stuff, and THEY are on the hook for incorrect parts

I feel you pain (motoworld does not stock DRZ stuff either) and when they order for me, it is always aftermarket... but VEY's has done pretty well in my experience

I had it with House of Motorcycles about 10 years ago... they stock Suzuki but always talked down to me

It does seem a little odd that they won't sell you any aftermarket parts for your bike even if only as a good will gesture to bring another possible future Euro bike into the fold....but really, it's probably not very often that customers come into a particular brand dealer's shop to order parts for something that the store doesn't sell and stand behind. They probably don't want to have to deal with any "non-OEM" customers like that. I'm sure that isn't "just you".

Do they stock all the stuff KTM users are buying on a regular basis? Air/Oil Filters and what not?

You are not alone blind:

I went to GP for the first and last time almost a year ago. I was my first round of maintenance on my (new to me) 400EXC. I looked up KTM parts suppliers and they came up as the local shop. I went down the first time and they didn't have the filters/washers but promised to order them and have them in a week or so. No problem, I get that, not nearly as popular a bike as the 450 (later found out they are the same filters, etc.)

After I got the call that they had the stuff in I went back. Guy #1 was helping me find the parts. He was apparently new to it, so he was struggling a bit. Guy #2 was sitting at the counter reading. Guy #1 appeared to be trying to get #2s help, and #2 was just blowing him off. This went on for about 45 minutes. Finally I just told them not to worry about it and started to leave. This finally piqued #2s interest; he came over, introduced himself (as the owner, manager, I don't remember). He looked up the parts, determined that they didn't have what I needed, and then got defensive when I asked why they had confirmed the parts on the phone. I politely left and have never set foot in the place again.

I was there to only buy about $20 in parts, maybe that was the issue, I don't know. I found other sources for my parts, and when I am shopping for a new EXC I am sure I can find another place to buy that as well.

I'm sure that isn't "just you".

have you met Michael? I'm pretty surely it's "mostly" him :coolio:

as much as i wanna disagree with that statement....

the slut is right*sigh*

B)

Do they stock all the stuff KTM users are buying on a regular basis? Air/Oil Filters and what not?

No, not one single item.

I've called many times with KTM part numbers, and they've never had one single part. Not gaskets, not oil drain seals, nothing. I don't even call anymore.

I drive right by their store as often as 5x per day.

Totally understand your frustration. That is why when I find a shop like AAKTM in Ramona, I try and be as loyal a customer as I can. RJ has it figured out. He doesn't sell Suzuki's but was very eager to offer his shop's services for maintenance and parts. Bends over backwards to accomodate a customer and make them feel valued. That's why I won't waste my time with a shop that doesn't need my business.

I have not heard anything bad about their shop in general...this thread seems to be about their parts inventory only, not their work

should have just read this book instead of venting out here...just a knee jerk reaction to a rough parts "search".

and this is PURELY MY experience in PARTS for MY DRZ...NOTHING MORE.

i can see them being super easy to deal with in a bike purchase, and the follow up to that, and being REALLY happy.

however, for parts to get today, not a best choice...

internet can get parts faster, and i am just a typical needy customer...i GET THAT...but sheesh

B)...off to amazon :coolio:

Just my comments on this, if I own a Ford (Suzuki) I would not enter a Chevrolet(Euro bike) dealer looking for parts.

GP is a Ducati/Guzzi/Husky/Aprilia and now new KTM offroad authorized dealer not a private independent shop.

Some dealers do (AAKTM as stated) and most independent shops have biz relations with outside brand dealer sources, my main sponsor shop NCM (National City Motorcycles) is connected with parts for all of the Japanese brands through their relationships with local dealers (this is an example). I order all my Honda and Suzuki parts there and see parts within a couple of days for the same price as the dealer(truthfully for me less), plus for hardware and basic Japanese brand stuff they are well stocked with new and used stuff.

PS GP Motos has asked (on line forum, cant remember which one) to have local input on what to stock for KTM (as a new dealer) quick grab DIY maintenance stuff, ie. filters, plugs and all the simple and or multi use common model parts.

I really would email them directly with ideas and gripes, especially when its the most convenient shop to hit up.

RN

my 3 cents.

PS GP Motos has asked (on line forum, cant remember which one) to have local input on what to stock for KTM (as a new dealer) quick grab DIY maintenance stuff, ie. filters, plugs and all the simple and or multi use common model parts.

Hi, Robert!

All you suggested has been done- I complied a list of items I use frequently and sent it over, which adds an additional level of frustration for me. I LIKE the shop, I LIKE Paul- nice guy. Paul has been helpful when I needed a little copper crush ring- went and personally found one for me from the Ducati parts bin. I really, really want them to be my dealer, and have tried repeatedly to buy things from them.

But they simply don't carry the parts.

I've known Paul for a long time and he's a friend. I've been dealing with them for years, and have bought 3 ducatis from them (2 - 900 Elefants).

Everytime I hear something like this, I send the info and link to Paul. So, the ball is in their court now.

Not to add fuel to the flame, but when I was using the DRZ as the Japanese Intended, I went there for parts on a recommendation, after several poor experiences, I have not gone back and have since found shops that will bend over backwards for me. They lost a customer and not only that, if I have a buddy with a bike issue we take our business to MotoWorld for parts and any service.

MotoWorld and C&D are the only places I take my bikes to and even that is rare. For parts, if you know what you need 99% of it is online at steep discounts compared to shops. Call me a capitalist, but I like to keep my money when possible.

Guys thanks for the input, as for brands that we dont speacialize in we are happy to help people out and we do so on a daily basis. We are a small enthusiast shop that like to deal with a similiar type of customer, We stock allot of non specific items like tires, chains, plugs etc for most makes, and our KTM parts supply has grown pretty substantially in my opinion, Just for the record shops will stock and order items that are normally requested if items are not normally requested it's hard to guess what someone will need, many people can assume certain parts should be in stock but if there is no history then it's hard to forcast. We actually did take in mind and order parts from SDAR suggestions, i feel we do have the all the basics and are building from there. So far our main requests have been for the 950/990 and EXC's. Our Husqvarna stock is pretty solid as we have been dealing with Huskys since 1997 and get calls from all over the country.

We apreciate our customers business and will go above and beyond for those who choose to support us. We also understand you can't make everyone happy, but we will continue trying. See you at the desert dash. Did i mention we are riders as well? Thanks Paul GP

you know, the more i think of it, i am seeing it's MY fault.

i DID go to a dealership, and it was NOT a dealership for MY bike, therefore i should not expect MY bike's OEM stuff.

fair enough.

now, the issue i had was more of the "go out of the way"-edness i experienced, which, well was the lusterlessness.

i am used to having people open catalog and try to find a way to make it happen.

but i am NOT blaming anyone but myself, it was like using wrong tool for the job logic, i think.

i will say this in ALL honesty, i know better now, and will use better judgement in the future, and try to be more internet savvy.

B)

No, not one single item.

I've called many times with KTM part numbers, and they've never had one single part. Not gaskets, not oil drain seals, nothing. I don't even call anymore.

I drive right by their store as often as 5x per day.

Paul Come down to the store and i can walk you thru what we stock you may be surprised. Thanks Paul GP

Paul Come down to the store and i can walk you thru what we stock you may be surprised. Thanks Paul GP

When I was down there a couple weeks ago and Mauro took me in the back to get my KTM 950 Fork Seals, dust caps and bushings (all in stock, the newer upgraded ones), I saw a bunch of KTM stuff on the shelves.

Paul Bowers, don't know the last time you called....but maybe it took them time to get their inventory going and stocked. Maybe take GP Paul up on his offer ? Also, I sent him your list of suggestions for inventory items again....I figure a shop may not carry the entire list of your suggestions, but there are some common items needed frequently....thanks for those suggestions.

That's be great, Paul thanks. I'd REALLY like to have a KTM dealership to which I can walk- it's make me very happy!

I believe the last time I called was about two weeks ago, looking for a clutch cover gasket- fits all 00-07 RFS bikes, 400-560 EXC, MXC XC XCW- gotta be an "A" inventory item. Then last week of the little metal cup that holds on the plastic chain guard on the swingarm for all RFS bikes.

Thats nothing, I went to a LOCAL bike shop, for a flat tire, replace the tube, waited 7days for a tube for a KLR,

not only that, I lost my REG sticker (twice) at this LOCAL place,,

so dont feel bad, it is I who has made the mistake

Tuna - Why did you have a shop change a tire?

Anyway, I have been travelling for work. My issue with GP was wanting to order a part for a HyperMotard that I was going to install on my DRZ. It was a "bling part" and would have been the easiest install I ahve ever done using "non-compatable" parts. I called GP because they were recommended here.

- I called GP, asked for a quote for the parts and was told I would get a call back a little later after they had time to figure out what I would need.

- I called the next day, and was apologized to and was ensured I could be quoted no later than the next day.

- Two weeks later I called back and this time waited on hold. I got a price but the person I spoke to would not give me a straight answer because he would only give me the price with labor included. I gave up.

I am glad I gave up because shortly after that I turned my SM into a offroad toy and that money would have been wasted. Either way, that turned me off to GP. So you know that this was about 2 years ago.

Now, just to be fair. I have had worse experiences but most have been East Coast Shops.

Either way, I do not own a KTM and after buying the XR I am certain I am not buying a 990. So it is a mute point.

I am not butt hurt about it. If I buy a KTM I will check out GP, but my first stop would be MotoWorld, those guys have saved two KTMs I took there in less than 48 hours and if I ask for parts I don't get the run around.