Goofy Footer

Loom Lobby Range Plaster City

I've been busy with Strega's dualsportmaps lately and I noticed a "Loom Lobby Range" military zone southwest of Superstition, north of plaster city and northeast of Coyote Mountain. The train tracks from the Split Mtn Rd Gypsum mine (BLM Route 85) go through this range in route to Dixieland. According to the satellite image, there seems to be a trail extending from BLM 341 (starting at the sign at Superstition) which runs southwest through the zone as well as an apparent road that goes east/west through the zone. What are the rules here? This may be a "Jim" question. Also, Is this the range where the pickup got hit with an ordinance a few years back?

I am looking for more safe and legal ways to traverse the open desert from Ocotillo to Superstition to OW to Salton Sea and from ABDSP etc.

Thanks!

EDIT: Included map. I'm referring to the most southwest military range

post-14322-093447000 1322714932_thumb.jp

I've been busy with Strega's dualsportmaps lately and I noticed a "Loom Lobby Range" military zone southwest of Superstition, north of plaster city and northeast of Coyote Mountain. The train tracks from the Split Mtn Rd Gypsum mine (BLM Route 85) go through this range in route to Dixieland. According to the satellite image, there seems to be a trail extending from BLM 341 (starting at the sign at Superstition) which runs southwest through the zone as well as an apparent road that goes east/west through the zone. What are the rules here? This may be a "Jim" question. Also, Is this the range where the pickup got hit with an ordinance a few years back?

I am looking for more safe and legal ways to traverse the open desert from Ocotillo to Superstition to OW to Salton Sea and from ABDSP etc.

Thanks!

EDIT: Included map. I'm referring to the most southwest military range

post-14322-093447000 1322714932_thumb.jp

Goofy,

Here is the bottom line. Avoid the pink areas! Especially to the southwest unless you are on 85, and the range to the northeast of Sups. The rectangle area to the southeast is essentially fine to use, as there are nothing dropped there, but is legally a military area. Yes, the Loom Lobby area is where a truck was hit by a piece of ordnance while he was in an area he wasn't supposed to be. The two area that are off limits are bounded by signs every 100m, except for vehicles passing along route 85, and Huff Rd through the northeast target, which are supposed to keep moving while on the range. Does all that make sense?

Jim,

Thank you for the information. My goal is to ride safely and legally. On the OSM map available through dualsportmaps, only two military zones are indicated. One being Loom Lobby southwest of Superstition and the other being the bombing range northeast of Superstition. According to the map I have attached (I believe its the BLM trail map, I forget the real name) there is an adjacent military range immediately east of Loom Lobby. It seems to be attached to Loom Lobby by a small section. BLM tracks 344 and 345 go south from the Superstition area but do not appear to cross this "branch" between the zones. The eastern zone, south of Superstition is also not on other maps that I can see. I believe the Desert Dash's difficult loop last year went through this area? I am confused in regards to this.

While my mind is on fire with ideas, there is a BLM 326 or 328 powerline road with large towers which runs southeast from Salton City area and skirts the northeast side of the military range northeast and adjacent to Superstition. This road remains outside the military zone. For the indicated roadways of Huff and Imler, specifically at their intersection, these roads do travel within the range. From what you said, it is legal to drive along the roads so long as you do not stop for any reason.

What I'm getting at is a possible loop that goes around Superstition along 326 (328?) and remains legally and safely outside the military zones.

Thank you for your response.

Strega,

Thank you for your reply. The "Shape 5" area on your map is quite large and extends through farm fields. Satellite images show much OHV traffic through the western edge of that area. When I get out and explore the area I will be cognisant of all posted signs and do not intend to breach boundaries.

Jim,

Thank you for the information. My goal is to ride safely and legally. On the OSM map available through dualsportmaps, only two military zones are indicated. One being Loom Lobby southwest of Superstition and the other being the bombing range northeast of Superstition. According to the map I have attached (I believe its the BLM trail map, I forget the real name) there is an adjacent military range immediately east of Loom Lobby. It seems to be attached to Loom Lobby by a small section. BLM tracks 344 and 345 go south from the Superstition area but do not appear to cross this "branch" between the zones. The eastern zone, south of Superstition is also not on other maps that I can see. I believe the Desert Dash's difficult loop last year went through this area? I am confused in regards to this.

While my mind is on fire with ideas, there is a BLM 326 or 328 powerline road with large towers which runs southeast from Salton City area and skirts the northeast side of the military range northeast and adjacent to Superstition. This road remains outside the military zone. For the indicated roadways of Huff and Imler, specifically at their intersection, these roads do travel within the range. From what you said, it is legal to drive along the roads so long as you do not stop for any reason.

What I'm getting at is a possible loop that goes around Superstition along 326 (328?) and remains legally and safely outside the military zones.

Thank you for your response.

Goofy,

While I'm no longer in El Centro, I can tell you that it is appreciated that you want to stay clear of the ranges. Loom Lobby (Targer 103 on Strega's map) and Shadetree (Targer 101 on Strega's map) are the two areas to remain clear of. According to the BLM trail map, the area to the east of Loom Lobby (Shape 5) is not used for dropping, which is the place that I said while legally military, thousands of people ride through it, as there is little to no activity. The white area connecting Loom Lobby and the area to the east is actually private land, as are all the white spaces on the BLM map, even the two up on the mountain. That being said, I have never seen anything posted on the private land at Superstition that says to stay off the property. The BLM map is the most accurate map you will find, as it is derived from legal real estate documents.

Essentially, you need to avoid the two targets, and like I said, they are bounded every 100m by signs that were installed in the last year. Trail 344 should go along the border of Loom Lobby and as long as you remain on or east of 344, your good. Don't worry about the pink spaces up on the mountain or the checkerboards north of the mountain.

Route 326 (or 328, I can't read it that well) to the east of Shade Tree is clear of the range, but is very far away from Superstition. Again, the only areas to really steer clear of are the two targets. Clear as mud?

Let me know if you need anything else.

As Jim stated....he knows the most.

And watch out if there are planes in the area !

(Post edited due to misinformation).

I'm pretty sure if you stay on the established trails, you're OK.

Some well established trails run right through the middle of the run in and targets on the ranges, so make sure you're familiar with the area before heading down a road you're unfamiliar with.

As far as I know, the military doesn't use any areas to the west of Wheeler Road and Superstition for bombing anymore.

To the east of Superstition & Pole Line Road in the pink areas ARE used for bombing.

The BLM wouldn't have designated routes thru an open bombing area to the west of Superstition. But you do need to stay on designated routes in case there is some unexploded ordinance still buried out there.

there were some shiny 20mm cannon brass on the range on the west side of tracks a few weeks ago. Looked pretty recent.

there were some shiny 20mm cannon brass on the range on the west side of tracks a few weeks ago. Looked pretty recent.

That makes me wonder if they are recent, how can BLM have open routes thru or so close to the area (Route 151 & the RR Tracks Road) ? Maybe they're far away enough from where they shoot ?

Or they were shooting 20mm cannons at miscreants.

That makes me wonder if they are recent, how can BLM have open routes thru the area ? Actually, I only know of one open route across the RR tracks in that area....maybe that one is far away enough from where the shoot ?

there were piles of spent brass within 100 yards of the tracks right near the lookout tower and the cage full of spent ordinances. it was less than 6 months old.

don't try and understand what the BLM does Randy.

As far as I know, the military doesn't use any areas to the west of Wheeler Road and Superstition for bombing anymore.

To the east of Superstition & Pole Line Road in the pink areas ARE used for bombing.

The BLM wouldn't have designated routes thru an open bombing area to the west of Superstition. But you do need to stay on designated routes in case there is some unexploded ordinance still buried out there.

Randy,

Your lack of knowledge of the situation can get somebody killed. Target 103 (Loom Lobby) to the west of Wheeler is actively used at least six and sometimes seven days a week for bombing practice. Did I not spell that out in my first post? :angry2: A truck was hit out there last year after taking a trail (established but not BLM designated) that went across the range. There are hundreds of "established" trails that cross the ranges from people using them over the years and also to provide access to range clearance vehicles. But you are correct, there are no "BLM designated" trails (except for 85, and you are required to keep moving on it) through the bombing ranges, but that doesn't mean there aren't bombing ranges to the west. I recommend being knowledgable about a subject before giving advice that may put somebody's life in danger.

That makes me wonder if they are recent, how can BLM have open routes thru or so close to the area (Route 151 & the RR Tracks Road) ? Maybe they're far away enough from where they shoot ?

You can have routes close to the ranges (151 is near, but not in), as the range boundaries are established to provide a certain degree (well over 99.9%, but I can't quote the specific) of assurance that weapons won't go outside the boundary.

Target 103 (Loom Lobby) to the west of Wheeler is actively used at least six and sometimes seven days a week for bombing practice. Did I not spell that out in my first post? :angry2: A truck was hit out there last year after taking a trail (established but not BLM designated) that went across the range. There are hundreds of "established" trails that cross the ranges from people using them over the years and also to provide access to range clearance vehicles. But you are correct, there are no "BLM designated" trails (except for 85, and you are required to keep moving on it) through the bombing ranges, but that doesn't mean there aren't bombing ranges to the west. I recommend being knowledgable about a subject before giving advice that may put somebody's life in danger.

That clearly describes it thoroughly.

Sorry, Didn't read all the posts entirely, and didn't realize they were still using these areas actively.

And my previous posts were edited due to my misinformation :blush:

So when are we going to try and safely explore your proposed route?

So when are we going to try and safely explore your proposed route?

When I first read this I could have sworn it said "safely explode".