zee

Slipping Bolt Head - What to do

While trying to remove bolts for mounting crash-bars, I encountered this tough nut (or bolt) and the grooves started slipping almost from the first try. The head sits inside a pocket, flush with surface, so no chance of grabbing it from outside to rotate it.

I didn't want to make a worse situation into an impossible one, so left it as is. Is there any thing I can do with everyday tools, or is there a place I can take the motorcycle to have them remove it?

Thanks

While trying to remove bolts for mounting crash-bars, I encountered this tough nut (or bolt) and the grooves started slipping almost from the first try. The head sits inside a pocket, flush with surface, so no chance of grabbing it from outside to rotate it.

I didn't want to make a worse situation into an impossible one, so left it as is. Is there any thing I can do with everyday tools, or is there a place I can take the motorcycle to have them remove it?

Thanks

It sounds like a allen head bolt?

If so, the easiest thing is to jam the threaded end of a bolt into the top of the damaged bolt-head and have it tack-welded to the damaged bolt.

pull out your trusty dremel... you have a dremel right?

Cut a slot, use a standard (flat head) screw driver and back the bolt out.

Now, if it is just stripping, that solves your problem. If the polt is turning but not loosening you have a whole new issue.

The bike is totalled, you should sell it cheap.

Just kidding, good info so far. I always suggest heat, hit it good with a heat gun. Then, loosen it a litte, tighten it a little. More heat, more tighten/loosen.

Prayer may work too, if you're religous. Curse words are also effective, religious or not.

If its a 5 sided nut or bolt you use a 5 sided socket not 1 of those 12 point sockets or is it 6 sided LOL but you get what I mean and yes everything above that everyone else said.

Assuming it's an allen bolt, SOMETIMES you can find a fractional allen wrench that is a bit larger than the metric and you can drive it in then unscrew the bolt.

If it's not an allen but a hex head bolt or nut, try a 6 point socket as previously suggested. Try to find a fractional 6 point sockets that can be driven on.

Welding a bolt on to the head of whatever you have is a sure solution but if the surrounding area is anodized, you will end up with some discoloration.

Good luck.

The culprit is shown in the picture. Maybe this will help zero in on a solution.

i-fG5S5Lw-L.jpg

The culprit is shown in the picture. Maybe this will help zero in on a solution.

i-fG5S5Lw-L.jpg

I would drill the head off. Then when you remove the bracket you will be able to remove whats left of the bolt with a pair of vise grips.

Covered in dust

Left-handed drill bit (check Harbor Freight for cheap ones), reversible drill. When you drill it out with the left-handed bit, it may come out as you're drilling. If it isn't out after you've drilled the hole, you could use a screw extractor. They're available at auto parts stores.

Every time I've gone this route with a stuck screw, (only 2 or 3 times) it's come right out as I drilled the hole with the left-handed bit. I think all the vibration plus the torque from the drilling works it loose.

dremel a slot on the other side, use a BF Screwdriver.

+1

Only I would use the flat screw driver blade of an impact driver.

dremel a slot on the other side, use a BF Screwdriver.

+1

Only I would use the flat screw driver blade of an impact driver.

I'd agree, except I've not seen a flat-head bit for an impact driver that's wide enough.

I stared at the pic for a while and decided I would use a Backwards drill bit just slightly larger than the allen that is supposed to fit, it's pretty boogered up and it looks real purty all around whats left so I would be leery of a torch. If at all possible I would find a cheap socket- Craftsman-Husky etc, not to cheap though it will just split, and drive that over it , maybe even before drilling and give it heck.

The worst case is the bolt breaks and you remove the part and remove the remaining stud.

If none of that works I have some fancy stuff that might work.

Unc. C.

Looking at that pic, I am sticking with my initial solution (and the third post in this thread) along with Paul ad some others solutions.

No way you mangle your bike that way and it is all tool that you should have.

The other option is to send me a PM, get my address and swing by my place one day this week, use my tools and learn a new trick.

David

I get lucky sometimes....( :coolio: ) using a chisel.

Hit the chisel with a hammer straight on the bolt....then kock ( :coolio: ) the chisel to the right to spin it off.

Usually the smack of the chisel and hammer will shock the bolt enough to allow you to spin the bolt off with the allen wrench.

* the words used in this reply were not intended to spark your dirty mind. Meerly a response from one dirty mind. :lol:

Hit the chisel with a hammer straight on the bolt....then kock ( :coolio: ) the chisel to the right to spin it off.

Usually the smack of the chisel and hammer will shock the bolt enough to allow you to spin the bolt off with the allen wrench.

* the words used in this reply were not intended to spark your dirty mind.merelys meerly a response from one dirty mind. :lol:

Yea, what he said. I've done this a few times and it usually works.

Ok. Dremel it is going to be:) I will report back with the results.

The idea cam to my dirty mind as well :) The results appear in the picture, but no luck !

* the words used in this reply were not intended to spark your dirty mind.merelys meerly a response from one dirty mind. :lol: