Guest Crusty

Watch GOOFY ride to Denver Co. 10-27-2011

Old pilot trick for cold climates (small plane aircraft engines can be notoriously hard

to start in cold conditions) is to drain the oil out of the engine and heat that up then

pour it back into the engine and then start the engine. May be much faster than

trying to heat the entire mass of the engine block on the motorcycle.

Good tip, however I don't think he has the means drain, heat, refill his oil in his current situation (but I am adding that to my playbook).

Please see my previous post, we got the bike running once it was inside for about 10-15 minutes.

The screetch is a DR trait. The end bearings on the starter have almost no lube from the factory so they are noisy on start up. I haven't pulled mine apart to lube 'em yet.

Glad he's got it going.

We all know how miserable he is and Tim is surely much colder than most have ever been on a bike... especially a single. However, the sense of adventure this guy has earned him some serious respect; he is a rider I would want riding with me anyday.

Good Luck in your Goofy Adventure.

Agreed. I hope he gets to his bachelor party !

I kinda figured the bike wouldn't start due to being too cold....my old Seca 750 never wanted to start when it was real cold.

Keep goin' Tim, look forward to hearing about your safe arrival in Denver !

Grants is near Continental Divide and highest elevation of route.

Near blizzard conditions Wednesday I25 south of Pueblo.

Keep your head on Goofy.

Your Spot is working but I can,t see you on Where Am I Riding. Strega ???

Ken, it doesn't open for me either, but if you go to THIS LINK on Spot Page, it opens....it's at the bottom of the Where Am I Riding Page.

Looks like clear but chilly weather the rest of the way, with the temps dropping to the freezing point between Colorado Springs and Denver

around his arrival time tonight.

Map of weather for remainder of route today

Yeah, I looked at another site and I-25 is Dry the whole way.

If he continues north, I imagine he'll stop tonight somewhere in Colorado so he doesn't have to ride in freezing temps, and finish the route tomorrow.

In an ironic turn of events, I'm in Carlsbad and about to close the door of the Piaggio and fly empty to, any guesses, yup, Denver. I should be there in 2.5 hours.

map works on FireFox, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer 9

^^ That

Internet Explorer SUCKS. It works in IE9, but not previous versions...more proof it sucks.

map works on FireFox, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer 9

^^ That

Internet Explorer SUCKS. It works in IE9, but not previous versions...more proof it sucks.

Not everybody has access to those at work.

as somebody said- there is a link on the bottom that works on sucky work computers... not that my work computer sucks... nor would I follow goofy on a work computer... or visit SDAR on a work computer... oh hell... guilty

use the link on the bottom

Guest Crusty

Viva las vegas.... New mexico?? Body is sore but all is well

Great job! Ride SAFE!party.gif

Tim has been getting hourly weather and road condition updates from me via text message. Right now the only "hard" stretch he should have left will be when he starts "smelling the barn" Colorado Springs to Denver has a significant temperature drop along with high wind warnings.

We talked about the mentality of "smelling the barn" and I think he will be prepared, not only prepared but into Denver safe and sound.

Made it to the hotel in denver. Met up with bboyle9 and now off to suprise the bachelor who doesnt know im here. Party time. I will update tomo. Thanks for all the support! I needed it to charge through the hours of cold! Im stoked, thanks!

Congrats dude!

You know have a story that I will exchange beers for.

Let me know when you are ready for Baja, beers will be on my tab.

Thanks guys. Im glad i had people watching my back for my first big trip. I burned through the rear tire way way faster than i thought i would. Im in downtown denver. Does anybody know of a motorcycle shop here? Dr650 rear 17in tire needed.

Thanks