Hi all, just got done cleaning up the TE after a day in the mountains. Only Numbskull showed up for the ride out of the few who showed interest in the excursion. He arrived on time even though I managed to forget the name of a street when giving him directions on how to find the place. A quick check with one of the friendly forest service people let us know that we could park right there at the station, Bee canyon road was just past the bridge and was open all the way to 243 and the bottom part was open to OHVs. We made our way up into the trees at a leisure pace. The air was crisp compared to last weekends sweltering ride near the same area. I just changed out my springs on the Husky and was trying to hit everything in the trail to see how they felt, but the roads were fairly tame (but extremely scenic) so not too much chance for much of a test. I was guessing that I needed to turn down the compression damping on both ends, because even with lighter springs, bumps still felt plenty harsh. We wended our way up into the pines and popped out in Idylwild where we stopped at Jo-Anns restaraunt for lunch. We only had gone twenty miles or so because I missed a turn that would have brought us out by Lake Fulmor, but that just means that there is more exploring for next time. After lunch we rode down the highway to Little Thomas Mountain road and turned up that. Just as we started to gain altitude I spyed a chopped up bit of rocky stuff and thought it would be a really good place to test the suspension. So I shifted into third, picked the yuckiest spot and yanked open the throttle. The front of the bike deflected....then the back followed. If I had been any further sideways I would have been going back in the other direction. However I kept my cool, my footing on the pegs and the throttle open and an eternity(split second or so) the Husky was happily marching out of the rocks in a straight line. It must have been an entertaining sight for Numbskull. He called it a "nice recovery".

At the very next scenic stop, the only view that I was admiring was the damper dials on my forks and shock, which were being unwound a bit with a small screw driver. The bike seemed to behave in a more plush and cotrolled manner after that. We headed down Rouse hill road which led us straight to our cars and did about 54 miles. I want to go back and check out the stuff I missed, but not if the weather is hot.

No pics? :(

No, perhaps next time some people with cameras will come along.

I missed your post about the actual ride... :( Seems like you and numbskull had fun!! :D Let me know when you go back, I'd like to try someday... :(

I missed your post about the actual ride... :( Seems like you and numbskull had fun!! :D Let me know when you go back, I'd like to try someday... :(

Sorry you missed the post. I finally posted it about 6:30 in the morning on Saturday because I felt that there wasn't a very strong response to the discussion. I don't know why I didn't just post it earlier in the week, because I would have gone whether anybody else was or not.