SCHWINN

Motorcyclist trapped under burning car

A motorcyclist who was dragged beneath a car Monday in Logan was rescued by bystanders who helped police lift the burning car and pull the man out from under the wreckage. He was reported to be in critical condition Monday night.

Brandon Wright was riding east on U.S. Highway 89 about 11:40 a.m., when a driver steered his BMW 530XI into the motorcycle’s path from a parking lot across the street from the Utah State University campus, said Assistant Logan Police Chief Jeff Curtis. The driver of the BMW did not see Wright, who laid down his bike and slid into the car.

The motorcycle and Wright were pulled under the car, where the motorcycle’s gas line was severed, causing the bike and the car to catch fire while he was trapped underneath, Curtis said.

Several bystanders rushed to the car and lifted it off Wright while officers and other witnesses pulled him out and moved him to safety.

Wright suffered broken bones, cuts and burns, Curtis said. The driver of the BMW was not injured but "was shaken up, obviously," he said.

Firefighters put out the flames shortly after the crash, Curtis said.

The driver of the BMW did not see Wright, who laid down his bike and slid into the car.

Well, I guess that's better than seeing Wright, and hitting him anyway.

Officers? All I saw the cop do was yak on his radio. And then get a fire extinguisher after the passers-by got the guy out.

After the fire was out... Oh yeah, there's a guy there on the ground.

A motorcyclist who was dragged beneath a car Monday in Logan was rescued by bystanders who helped police lift the burning car and pull the man out from under the wreckage. He was reported to be in critical condition Monday night.

Brandon Wright was riding east on U.S. Highway 89 about 11:40 a.m., when a driver steered his BMW 530XI into the motorcycle's path from a parking lot across the street from the Utah State University campus, said Assistant Logan Police Chief Jeff Curtis. The driver of the BMW did not see Wright, who laid down his bike and slid into the car.

The motorcycle and Wright were pulled under the car, where the motorcycle's gas line was severed, causing the bike and the car to catch fire while he was trapped underneath, Curtis said.

Several bystanders rushed to the car and lifted it off Wright while officers and other witnesses pulled him out and moved him to safety.

Wright suffered broken bones, cuts and burns, Curtis said. The driver of the BMW was not injured but "was shaken up, obviously," he said.

Firefighters put out the flames shortly after the crash, Curtis said.

Officers? All I saw the cop do was yak on his radio. And then get a fire extinguisher after the passers-by got the guy out.

After the fire was out... Oh yeah, there's a guy there on the ground.

Is there another video than the one posted? I searched, couldn't find one. If not, I missed the yacking (it appears he turned the volume knob), also missed the fire extinguisher retrieval and the fire going out. The cop did get one meager push at the end.

Can't account for bad reporting, but the review of the video posted has 50% fact. The citizens got the guy out and he was on the ground.

I saw the raw video on CNN's site early this morning. The YouTube version is much shorter, and CNN's current version has been edited.

Great job! Initially it was just the one guy, but in seconds there was a crowd. The victim got away with some broken bones and a "badly burned" foot.

K - thx....I know I need glasses, but......... Good on the folks for savin' his backside.

Here's one. Yeah, once he's out, clear the crowd, get the fire out, stabilize. I thought they were gonna pick him up for a minute......

The part I did not get when I saw it this morning was they pulled him from under the car, but nobody provided first aid. They just started walking about.WTF?

The part I did not get when I saw it this morning was they pulled him from under the car, but nobody provided first aid. They just started walking about.WTF?

I saw that too. I guess nobody knew 1st aid???

As I ride I-5 North everyday I see some bad accidents and if no ambulance is there yet there is always somebody from our Armed Forces there rendering aid. Mostly Marines and they don't mess around.They have these giant 1st aid bags in their trunk.

Same thought. He looked pretty dead but somebody should've checked. Not good. They did manage to cover him in extinguisher stuff though.