Sign in to follow this  
DigDug

My two days on the TAT

As some of you may know, I'm out in Arkansas doing some training for a few months. I decided to haul my bikes along since I knew I'd have some days off out here. I have been out a few times on the 450, but had yet to have taken the 950 out to explore. Well, when my friend, Dan, sent an email out letting people know he was doing that TAT (entire trail from TN to OR), I asked him when he'd be coming through Arkansas. Well, as luck would have it, the trail passed within 20 minutes of the base and I was able to meet him for lunch last Friday. He was nice enough to let me tag along for two days of riding as far as western Arkansas. Nothing all that difficult (with the exception of Warloop Road on Saturday afternoon - there's lots of stuff out there about it, but it wasn't as bad as the hype on ADVRider. I guess you get a lot of big-bike guys having trouble with it) so I decided to stretch the legs of, and enjoy the comfort of the Great Pumpkin.

We kept a pretty good pace and didn't stop much, but here are a few pictures:

img4046g.jpg

img4050b.jpg

img4056ot.jpg

img4057t.jpg

img4061a.jpg

I had to get a few shots of this place. Oark, Arkansas. Tiny little town and an even tinier cafe. They knew we were on the TAT - I guess that's where most of their out-of-town business comes from (especially dirty guys on bikes). You should see the log book of riders and the stickers on this place!

img4062i.jpg

img4063j.jpg

Well, I had to get back to the base for class on Monday, so I had to part ways with him in Alma. He continued and I decided to take the long way back on Sunday. Here are a few pictures from my trip back.

img4069n.jpg

img4076a.jpg

img4082x.jpg

img4084a.jpg

img4085rg.jpg

It was a blast. 3 days on the road, 530 miles (240 on my way back on the last day). I'd say that the TAT was at least 75% dirt in AR. And it really has me itching to do a nice long road trip on the bike!!!

For those of you interested, here is his SPOT live page:

Danno's TAT Ride

img4061a.jpg

Classic! You didn't embarrass your buddy to much with the Pumpkin, Did you??

Also, Dan is an Excellent packer!

Classic! You didn't embarrass your buddy to much with the Pumpkin, Did you??

Also, Dan is an Excellent packer!

No, not at all. He waited for me most of the time. The 950 is fun, but it doesn't like to slow down and it turns like a pig. Actually, the way the eastern portion of the trail is laid out, you don't have to go all that fast. We averaged between 30 and 35 while moving and were into the hotels each afternoon by 2 or 3 pm. Danno can ride. It was his bike we raced in the 500 and he and I did a few D-37 desert races back in CA.

Yeah, I was impressed with his packing job. I had more saddle-bag space for 3 days than he had for the entire trip! He did save a bunch of room by planning motels for every night and by mailing ahead his roll-charts/maps/etc to post offices along the way for about each 1/4 of the trip.

Looks like a beautiful portion of the route there! Thanks for sharing. B)

Good to hear from you Doug!..glad you're able to get riding....reminds me of back home in New England......(where I've never riden a bike, actually)...Love how green it all is, but don't miss the mosquitos !!!

Man, I'd love to do a month long ride......thanks for posting Doug....

Every thing looks old over their. Very nice --When are you back on CA ?

" by planning motels for every night"

I see, he used the Crawdaddy Travel Plan.

Every thing looks old over their. Very nice --When are you back on CA ?

Back the end of Sept / early Oct depending on how quick I get my training events done. Then I leave mid-Oct to head north.

Real nice. I was in Arkansas a few weeks ago, it was over 100 degrees and humid. How was it that weekend?

If you'd like we can plan a stop in the Sierras on your trip North. There's singletrack in them thar hills!

Real nice. I was in Arkansas a few weeks ago, it was over 100 degrees and humid. How was it that weekend?

If you'd like we can plan a stop in the Sierras on your trip North. There's singletrack in them thar hills!

It was hot!

Actually it wasn't too bad while riding, but when stopped it heated up. Most of the riding was mellow. He said he was into the hotels by 2 or 3 each day which was the heat of the day. On Saturday afternoon it got up to 106 after we were safely in the motel in All, AR.

I hope to get some riding in before I depart CA, but we will see how the timeline works out.