dirt dame

yet another new member

Hi all, I"ve been ridng motorcycles for 35 years, on and off road. I started out riding to high school and trail riding, but quickly became involved in Motocross and Grand Prix. I later rode enduroes and even some observed trials. Eventually I quit competing because I found out that I was too lazy to enjoy being competitive! I was racing an event one day and decided that I would just rather RIDE. So I have been enjoying puttering about, ever since then. It has been harder to find other enthusiasts to ride in group with than in "the good old days" so I ride by myself alot. I know it's much safer to ride with other people, as well as being more fun, so I joined this group. If you have seen a small middle aged woman out alone on a trailbike in the middle of nowhere, you have probably seen me. I have seven bikes that I have been collecting over the years, but the two machines which you would likely see me on during group events would be my 2001 Kawasaki KLX 300 or my brand new (still shiny) 2007 Husqvarna TE 450, although my legs are so short I don't know how long the TE will remain shiny. But as long as I'm moving I can keep the shiny side up. Anyway I am looking forward to riding with other members and finding new backroads and trails.

Welcome to SDAR. Great to see a female rider here.

I'm impressed that you're a self motivated life-time female rider. The new Husky purchase shows a dedication to something you love to do. You're right about riding alone so glad you've found us. You will find absolutely no shortage of riders & rides to enjoy, so welcome to SDAR!

Welcome DirtDame !! Glad you joined our group, hope to meet and ride with you soon.

I ride alone also, usually on big trips out of town......I enjoy it, but would rather be with one or two other good friends on a long ride.

See you soon,

Welcome dirt dame! :) You'll find ample opportunity to join other riders here, particularly in North County as the number of northern noobs in the past few months has increased dramatically! Keep an eye on the Informal Local Rides section and think about joining our upcoming Cinco De Mayo night ride :)

Welcome Dirtdame! :)

I've been so caught up with work I have not been as active on the site in awhile.

It's always great to have another rider along, you will not be disappointed with this group!

There are some very good people here and I cannot say enough positive things about them.

If you were looking for people who love to ride and have fun doing it you have found a new group of friends.

Everyone I have ridden with here has been very respectful and courteous and always willing to lend a hand.

These guys ride safely, responsibly and they all look out for each other when we hit the roads and trails.

Welcome again and hope to see you on a ride soon :) .

Gunz

Welcome!! At least now we are two with the husky TE450 with SDAR!! :) How do you like yours? With exception of my old KTM300EXC (which I sold), my 06 TE450 is the most fun bike yet! Hopefully will see you soon on one of the rides... We have a good group of people who love riding dual-sport, and there's always rides going on, you will not be disappointed.... :)

Welcome!! At least now we are two with the husky TE450 with SDAR!! :i-m_so_happy: How do you like yours? With exception of my old KTM300EXC (which I sold), my 06 TE450 is the most fun bike yet! Hopefully will see you soon on one of the rides... We have a good group of people who love riding dual-sport, and there's always rides going on, you will not be disappointed.... :bb:

I like my TE just fine. I find it heavy as I knew it would be compared to all my previous rides. It is oversprung for my weight and I have a set of .42 front springs and I'm waiting for a 5.0 for the back to come in. After I install the new boingers and set the sag, the bike should come alive in sand and over rocky terrain. It is very stable and yet responsive in tight stuff and just great in whoop de dos. I have never ridden a modern 450 before, so I don't know what the power is supposed to feel like, but I think that the Husky has very good power....kind of soft off the bottom, so you don't take a beating from it in technical stuff and a screamer past midrange for everything else. It is even easier to kickstart than some of my other bikes!

The TE450 tipically comes oversprung from factory, the suspension needs adjustment.. It's also a bit snappy at first.. as you break in the motor, it acts much better... did you remove the throtle stop?... The weight is relative.. for being a dual sport bike, it is light... the honda CRF450X feels a bit lighter but is not plated.. my KTM 300EXC did feel much lighter... as you adjust the hight, suspension, and break in the motor, I think you will be very happy! :lol: Anyway, what area are you in?? If you want to do some riding let me know.. As I said the weight is relative... As I have ridden my new BMW G650X latetly (which is much heavier) when I get in the TE450 it feels like a bicycle.. The power is amzing!! As you know the TE450 is short stroke and acts kind of like a two stroke, but with much more controllable and linear power... My two bikes are all scratched up now, so now they are more fun, since I don't worry about crashing.. :bb: Well, once again, welcome!!! :i-m_so_happy:

The TE450 tipically comes oversprung from factory, the suspension needs adjustment.. It's also a bit snappy at first.. as you break in the motor, it acts much better... did you remove the throtle stop?... The weight is relative.. for being a dual sport bike, it is light... the honda CRF450X feels a bit lighter but is not plated.. my KTM 300EXC did feel much lighter... as you adjust the hight, suspension, and break in the motor, I think you will be very happy! :lol: Anyway, what area are you in?? If you want to do some riding let me know.. As I said the weight is relative... As I have ridden my new BMW G650X latetly (which is much heavier) when I get in the TE450 it feels like a bicycle.. The power is amzing!! As you know the TE450 is short stroke and acts kind of like a two stroke, but with much more controllable and linear power... My two bikes are all scratched up now, so now they are more fun, since I don't worry about crashing.. :bb: Well, once again, welcome!!! :i-m_so_happy:

The throttle stop and the little pluggy thing that defeats the accellerator pump have been removed. A different needle and main jet have been installed and the pilot circuit has been readjusted and of course none of the "cans" were left on the bike. I am in Escondido, but shlep my bikes either straight on the pavement or via truck or Joe Hauler to just about anywhere.

Yo kawgirl, Welcome!

As you can see, most of us joined to "Not Ride Alone". There are soo many areas I don't explore by myself just in case something happens. The Informal Rides Section is where to meet local riding buddies.