So i've been lurking from time to time but didn't want to come on here to see everyones ride reports and wish i was riding, after i picked up the crf450 in feb and rode it for a couple mths, it needed a lil help,and i've finally gotten to it...mostly. So its almost ready to ride...and summer is here ;( dang. So i picked up this very awesome new ride, it is so much better then my previous hardtail, it climbs and descends like no other. Giant xtc 2 29er, hope to ride either with ya guys/gals soon!!

WHO'S READY TO RIDE???? WHERE THE MTN BIKERS AT??

2011-06-01_16-35-19_722.jpg

smiley-greet022.gif nice to see you again. Baldbeemer and I do a little MTB riding. I suck at it smiley-transport030.gifso you wouldn't want to ride with me but Baldbeemer is a halfway decent rider. We'll be doing at least one MTB trip to Big Bear this year and I'll post up when we're going.

Guest Crusty

I started riding the MTB again too. I know some fun local trails

Last Sunday the tide was really low so my wife and I did 15 miles on the beach..coolio.gif

smiley-greet022.gif nice to see you again. Baldbeemer and I do a little MTB riding. I suck at it smiley-transport030.gifso you wouldn't want to ride with me but Baldbeemer is a halfway decent rider. We'll be doing at least one MTB trip to Big Bear this year and I'll post up when we're going.

Awesome!!! Would def love to go ride big bear. and i want to go to mammoth to, heard there is some awesome scenery and trails there.

I started riding the MTB again too. I know some fun local trails

Last Sunday the tide was really low so my wife and I did 15 miles on the beach..coolio.gif

Nice, I rode on the sand once in carlsbad, i want to ride the road from oceanside to encinitas soon. Would be fun, btu getting back home would be the problem.

I frequent daley ranch, lake hodges, and elfin forest. Not in the greatest of shape right now, but would be happy to show you around.

Daley Ranch is cool... Anderson Truck Trail... som eof the trails at Corral are fun on a bike... for cardio but no technical, I like Penasquitos Canyon all the way to the beach and back

I sold my good bikes, but still have a hardtail and URT Fisher full sus...

Big Bear is awesome (if you take the lift)

Post up a ride

Guest Crusty

My wife is new to MTBiking and was planning a trip to Big Bear Fathers day weekend.

I was thinking it would be better to stay local, where there are less hills.

Are there good trails for a newb that you recommend, at Big Bear.

Thank's Craig.

Beach ride.

06050109271.jpg

Craig- favorite local trails for newbs-

Penasquitos canyon including a stop at the waterfall

Rose Canyon/bear canyon including a run up the side canyon (for a fun downhill)

Laguna Trail

Guest Crusty

Craig- favorite local trails for newbs-

Penasquitos canyon including a stop at the waterfall

Rose Canyon/bear canyon including a run up the side canyon (for a fun downhill)

Laguna Trail

[/quote)

Thank's I was thinking more local like Lake Calaveras, The La Costa Loop,

Elfin Forest,

But am still interested in Big Bear.

I dusted my bike off last Tue . Iv,e got scratches to prove it. One thing when there are some rocks -I am walking.

Anyone riding early Sun AM. ?

Thank's I was thinking more local like Lake Calaveras, The La Costa Loop,

Elfin Forest,

If you are looking for "less hills" - those three are NOT good choices - especially for a beginner :unsure: . All three - if you are not going up, you are going down. Elfin Forest starts out right from the parking lot with an immediate up, up, up climb that challenges even a "seasoned" rider and the La Costa Loop is just one hill - first you climb up, then you ride down, then climb up again and ride down another trail .....

Best beginner trails, other than Penasquitos Canyon (beware of horses and weekend crowds) are Lake Hodges and Sycamore Canyon (if you just stay in the base of the canyon)...

Happy Trails.

Big Bear is super easy for a novice bike rider. You take the lift up and ride the fire roads back down. Nothing technical. No rocks, sand or major ruts. The fire roads are all smooth and graded and not too steep. You will still be going downhill most of the time so it's a good idea to make sure the brakes are in good working order.

Guest Crusty

[

If you are looking for "less hills" - those three are NOT good choices - especially for a beginner :unsure: . All three - if you are not going up, you are going down. Elfin Forest starts out right from the parking lot with an immediate up, up, up climb that challenges even a "seasoned" rider and the La Costa Loop is just one hill - first you climb up, then you ride down, then climb up again and ride down another trail .....

Best beginner trails, other than Penasquitos Canyon (beware of horses and weekend crowds) are Lake Hodges and Sycamore Canyon (if you just stay in the base of the canyon)...

Happy Trails.

Big Bear is super easy for a novice bike rider. You take the lift up and ride the fire roads back down. Nothing technical. No rocks, sand or major ruts. The fire roads are all smooth and graded and not too steep. You will still be going downhill most of the time so it's a good idea to make sure the brakes are in good working order.

Thanks for your tips, I think I have a good(easy) ride planned for us this weekend.

I just did calaveras yesterday, alot of fun, and great climbs, i scouted the place out and we did a loop that was mostly flat-ish, flowy, but a couple hard climbs. I really wanna hike it next time and do a little maintenance work here and there, like redo the bridges over the creeks and what not. I really wanna climb to the top next run, i hear theres a climbable hill around the backside but is steep but not as rocky like the front side trails.

Slut- Penasquitos is the best so far, mix of a little downhill, flat and climbs and distance, great workout, i like the single track trail on the way back. and i bet the waterfall is a good place to cool down when its flowing good.

Im am def down to get a ride going sunday morning, panasquitos or lake hodges??? My bike has one last run in it b4 it goes in for its tune up, things are starting to creak and crack and shifting is gettin sketchy.

I just did calaveras yesterday, alot of fun, and great climbs, i scouted the place out and we did a loop that was mostly flat-ish, flowy, but a couple hard climbs. I really wanna hike it next time and do a little maintenance work here and there, like redo the bridges over the creeks and what not. I really wanna climb to the top next run, i hear theres a climbable hill around the backside but is steep but not as rocky like the front side trails.

Slut- Penasquitos is the best so far, mix of a little downhill, flat and climbs and distance, great workout, i like the single track trail on the way back. and i bet the waterfall is a good place to cool down when its flowing good.

Im am def down to get a ride going sunday morning, panasquitos or lake hodges??? My bike has one last run in it b4 it goes in for its tune up, things are starting to creak and crack and shifting is gettin sketchy.

you take your bicycle in to the shop ?!?!?! buy "zen and the art of bicycle maintenance" and do everything yourself! Unless the tune-up is free... shifting can be snugged up with adjusting the barrel bolts (don't touch the limit screws!)

creaks while pedaling are the seat bolt, and or the crank... snug em down.

true the wheels... adjust brake pads

I'm a MESS as a motorcycle mechanic but pretty good with bikes

Ok --Ride Lake Hodges--Park at Sunset--ride to the Dam and Back --8:00 AM ( or to early for everyone ? )

Any takers ?

you take your bicycle in to the shop ?!?!?! buy "zen and the art of bicycle maintenance" and do everything yourself! Unless the tune-up is free... shifting can be snugged up with adjusting the barrel bolts (don't touch the limit screws!)

creaks while pedaling are the seat bolt, and or the crank... snug em down.

true the wheels... adjust brake pads

I'm a MESS as a motorcycle mechanic but pretty good with bikes

Yea i think i get my first 2 free, better atleast get one for the price i paid!! lol, might as well ride the snot out of it and give it back and say fix it ;), but i do know how to do the general adjustments and what not, but i def want to go to a tutorial or get a book or dvd to really get the down low on maintenance and tuning and bleeding brakes, mostly its the rims creaking from the spokes seating and i tightened all the allen heads once already.

Ok --Ride Lake Hodges--Park at Sunset--ride to the Dam and Back --8:00 AM ( or to early for everyone ? )

Any takers ?

Im down, only ridden to the boat docks and back, time is perfect. Should be nice weather to.

Any takers ?

Im down, only ridden to the boat docks and back, time is perfect. Should be nice weather to.

Ok --lets meet in the parking lot across from the storrage place. The lot next door is the one for the Farmers Market.

Look for a Blackish Nissan Xterra with paper Hemet plates.

Later the Kug.

Bad news- messed up the ankle I broke at the beach today, so im gunna sit this one out but hopefully by tuesday it'll be ok, usually is. Def want a rain check, ill post up here when its good, sorry.

Sorry to hear that. On the bright side then I can be lazy and not ride the whole thing. :rolleyes: