Joined a 4x4 friend that was going out with his group of Landcruisers today. Quick trip to some open shooting areas, a run up Old Mine Road, then back down Grapevine to AB and back through Julian.

It started out OK, but by the time we got to the 79 parking lot/staging area the rain had started, and it was plenty cold and windy. Everyone eventually showed up, had four trucks and me on the XR, and we took off for Old Mine Road right outside Ranchita. Neat ride, easy road, but we only saw a small part of it. Some of it has potential to be challenging, I'm thinking. Definitely have to go back for more exploration, especially since I'm into the prospecting/mining history aspect. Lots of lode mines out there, only a couple of active claims that I could find, though. Weather was even more miserable at the range area, probably went down to 200' visibility, sideways light rain that wouldn't quit. Everyone gave up after an hour and a half or so, and got back on the road through Grapevine. While our group was toddling along (for some reason I was in back, sucking dust and mud), we had a couple other DS riders blow past us, a KTM and a DRZ? Dunno if that was anyone in the club though, no one was stopping hehe.

Good day, have to go back when the weather is a bit more reasonable. At least it's close to North County, it'll make a nice future destination. Especially if that area connects to others...

I think a local "mine tour" ride would be incredible. Post up if you feel like leading one through the area.

Hey Czech, I've been up to that mine before on my 950...and I remember there are some trails that head north, but look like a smaller bike may be needed to explore.

When you want to go up there next, let me know.

I think a local "mine tour" ride would be incredible. Post up if you feel like leading one through the area.

I would be up for that ride as well.

I did a bit of research, and there have been quite a few mines in that area. I'll have to visit the library and dig out the bureau of mines reports, but that area has been worked since the late 1800's, and there are current claims in the area. Plenty of history there, and I'd definitely be up for a group ride, or several to and in that area. Let me do some more digging (so to speak) about the history, and see if I can find some of the more interesting sites that might be open, and I'll post up something far in advance of my normal posting methodology. If this area is a connector up to the north, or east, that'd be awesome. I think it's going to take actual boots on the ground though, there's lots of cover and aerial photos can't pick the trails out that easily.

A local mine tour would be cool, but someone needs to research where all the mines are.

A local mine tour would be cool, but someone needs to research where all the mines are.

In process. I've been into prospecting for years now, and there are online resources you can hit - BLM GeoCommunicator and LR2000 both have claims listed. Not that they're completely accurate, or have all the claims, but they're a start. To get the real info you have to go to the office, but if it's warranted I'm up for that too.

In process. I've been into prospecting for years now, and there are online resources you can hit - BLM GeoCommunicator and LR2000 both have claims listed. Not that they're completely accurate, or have all the claims, but they're a start. To get the real info you have to go to the office, but if it's warranted I'm up for that too.

Sounds great !