Czechsix

Is there a list of truck trails?

I've been hitting a few of the truck trails lately, and it struck me that I probably don't know about a ton of others. I've tried searching, likewise google, not much turning up. So is there a list that anyone's aware of, for San Diego or Riverside county truck trails? And has anyone done any kind of connected truck trail ride? Last weekend was the De Luz/Tenaja Truck Trail, that was entertaining, but I'm sure there are many more......

Because its not my preferred style of riding, I don't know a lot of them...but

Viejas Grade, Boulder Creek, Secuan Truck Trail, Bear Valley, Pine Creek, Harrison Grade, Thing Valley, to name a few

If you want to come down some Sunday we can do them all in one day...cept harrison

Well since you asked:

About 10 years ago when I was really active with the San Diego Off-Road Coalition we were working on a project to create a San Diego County Off Highway Trails Map. This would have included all the truck trails, the green sticker trails and riding areas and we were (foolishly) hoping to get a couple of new connector and community OHV trails added. We had the support of the California State Off Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Commission (OHMVRC), the Forest Service, the BLM and some county workers that were involved with the project. We created a petition and in a couple of months had some 8,000 or so signatures supporting the project. When it came time to hear the project at the county board of supervisors meeting we had the place PACKED to overflowing capacity. I think we filled up three or four overflow rooms and still had people outside the county admin building. We had a couple of the county supervisors supporting us too. When it finally came down to a vote by the supervisors, diane jacobs (who was the chairperson at the time) got up and rattled off a bunch of nonsensical BS and basically got the whole thing shut down. She went on over the next few years to get multiple attempts by SDORC and the state OHMVRC to create an off-road park in San Diego shut down too. After all that I realized San Diego is the most off-road unfriendly place there could be.

Sorry for the long winded rant but the subject just brought back a lot of bad memories and I thought maybe someone might be interested in the real story of why there are no maps. With socal being such a green area I don't think there will ever be one.

Backcounty Adventures Southern California

This is only a google preview but you can see some of their lists, then google the trails at your leisure. I own the book but supposedly its no longer being printed.

Guide to Southern California Backroads and 4x4 trails

I own this book as well. It has more challenging trails than the first. Still in print.

Any questions feel free to ask. I'm no wizard on the matter but I'll help as much as I can. Totally depends on the type of trails you are looking for. Both books have detailed GPS coordinates. I got into dualsporting after I'd been around the county in my Landcruiser. Sadly its now time for that thing to go...

I would like to get a list of tracks from the big bear area. I gotta ride up there before I leave SoCal. Time is running out.... I am going back to the midwest at the end of summer.

I've been hitting a few of the truck trails lately, and it struck me that I probably don't know about a ton of others. I've tried searching, likewise google, not much turning up. So is there a list that anyone's aware of, for San Diego or Riverside county truck trails? And has anyone done any kind of connected truck trail ride? Last weekend was the De Luz/Tenaja Truck Trail, that was entertaining, but I'm sure there are many more......

The Cleveland National Forest websites maintain a webpage that shows the conditions of all the truck trails. I'd still call to confirm however. Once I drove up to ride with a couple friends from work no North Main Divide, which was listed as open on the website, but the gate was locked.

Here's the link: Cleveland Nationa Forest - Current Conditions

Do a google search for "cleveland national forest road closures" and you'll get that link. Other forests do a similar thing.

Great replies folks, I'll dig through and see if I can develop a list, and then post it, hopefully with links, maybe that'll help someone else too.

Well since you asked:....

Sorry for the long winded rant but the subject just brought back a lot of bad memories and I thought maybe someone might be interested in the real story of why there are no maps. With socal being such a green area I don't think there will ever be one.

This is nothing new, and I'm not terribly surprised. I was with SDORC back in the eighties, did the political thing, wore the orange t-shirt and hat at the meetings, and we got shot down all the time in favor of the greens. Then there was Bilbray....yah. Anyway, nothing new that our activities aren't supported, just like folks that want to find open areas for shooting, that's not really supported either. Up to us to develop our own maps, connections, etc, that'll enable us to ride legally without being hassled. It'd be great to figure out some big loop dirt rides that don't mean you have to slab a hundred miles to get to them.

IAC, I'll get a list going and sum in a later post.

dirt rides that don't mean you have to slab a hundred miles to get to them.

Awww but isn't that half the fun? :torch:

I do enjoy that part too, but I agree. Less slab is always better for sure. And when it comes to loops, bigger=better. Putting together a list is a great idea. If there's something I can do to help let me know.

Kewl, sure, the more the merrier. Input always good. (then again...GIGO).

I'll start a new thread with this, once I get a list worked up, then everyone can add in, or subtract. Would be nice to have our own version of the cleveland forest "what's open, and what's not" list in an easily accessible, and easily updateable format...

dirt rides that don't mean you have to slab a hundred miles to get to them.

Awww but isn't that half the fun? :torch:

I do enjoy that part too, but I agree. Less slab is always better for sure.

Less slab is always better for your engine if you have trail gearing...and for your tires too. I am always wearing my tires out all "street funny" when I do many pavement miles. <_<

Up to us to develop our own maps, connections, etc, that'll enable us to ride legally without being hassled. It'd be great to figure out some big loop dirt rides that don't mean you have to slab a hundred miles to get to them.

IAC, I'll get a list going and sum in a later post.

Yep, that is what is going to take. Sounds like you got a good little project in the making. This will be great if it works out. I wish you the best of luck.

One of the biggest obstacles we found when doing our initial research was that there are a MANY public access dirt roads around the county that used to be open now had lock gates on them. Many times there was no legitimate reason for them being locked. The conclusion was that one or two land owners off the dirt roads just did it for their own privacy even though it was illegal for them to do it. I guess they were protecting their private pot farms, meth labs or whatever? It's too bad the general public gets shut out from a lot of wonderful opportunities to visit some beautiful areas because of the will of a few selfish idiots.

I'll start a new thread with this, once I get a list worked up, then everyone can add in, or subtract. Would be nice to have our own version of the cleveland forest "what's open, and what's not" list in an easily accessible, and easily updateable format...

One thought would be google docs. Then people can easily collaborate.

Here is a rough idea:

link moved to members only area

One thought would be google docs. Then people can easily collaborate.

Rough, hell! That seems like just the thing!