dirtdiva

OW to Lake Havasu

Looking to ride from Ocotillo Wells (or maybe even Escondido) to Lake Havasu via the Bradshaw Trail. Anyone have GPS tracks for the Bradshaw Trail and anything from the end of the trail to get up to Havasu, via as much dirt as possible??

Looking to ride from Ocotillo Wells (or maybe even Escondido) to Lake Havasu via the Bradshaw Trail. Anyone have GPS tracks for the Bradshaw Trail and anything from the end of the trail to get up to Havasu, via as much dirt as possible??

Did you get my Bradshaw track and did it work ?

DualSportMaps.com - Bradshaw Trail by: Strega

[Did you get my Bradshaw track and did it work ?

Yes, I got it as well as a couple others. Thanks so much to you guys who sent them. I used the OW and Bradshaw trail portion, but deleted the section south to the Opal mines, and just continued the track along the Bradshaw Trail all the way out to the end - so we could gas up in Blythe. Then, using the Topo map in Mapsource and a backup book map, continued the track north through the mountains, via what look like dirt roads and power line roads, to Parker. Then cross the dam and head north to Havasu via the frontage road and whatever trails we decide to venture out onto to make our way into Havasu city. The track looks good in Mapsource and is about 250 miles. Tonight we will view it in Google Earth to try to see what this terrain through the mountains looks like. Planning to take the trip this weekend, riding out there on Friday, spending the day with family on the lake on Saturday and then riding back with some extra exploration on Sunday. The big challenge will be not the riding or terrain but whether or not I created a track that we can follow :heh: .....

The big challenge will be not the riding or terrain but whether or not I created a track that we can follow :heh: .....

Contact "HotRod82" on DSM for Track suggestions......he rode Bradshaw to Parker at the end of January and may have some helpful tips

Trip Report: http://www.dualsportmoto.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=1646#p1646

Diva --wow thats going to be a long day--but fun. Are you riding from Esc . or Ow ?

Diva --wow thats going to be a long day--but fun. Are you riding from Esc . or Ow ?

Yes it will be a long day so we decided to start from OW - more so for the ride back on Sunday. I think, at that point, by the time I hit Ocotillo I will be DONE and looking for the car :wacko: Being as this was a spur of the moment idea (Bruce always cringes when I get these - and I get them often :heh: ) we are revising the plans daily. Now we are going to end the ride in Parker on Friday and do the exporing from Parker to Havasu on Saturday on the way to the lake in the morning and on the way back from the lake in the late afternoon (best times of the day for riding out there). Then we are that much closer to start the ride back on Sunday and will have more time to explore some of the mountain areas along the Bradshaw trail. All sounds good in theory so we will see how it goes........

Sorry Diane .... that I can't directly help ya out with tracks. BUT... I can offer some suggestions if your willing to explore.

I ride around the SOUTH side of Salton Sea, and head towards Bradshaw trail. I don't ride ON the trail, but merely cross over it.

There's a road off of Bradshaw that'll take you North. "Augustine Pass" is what's on my GPS map. That road links up with Graham Pass. It'll take you to I-10 and then you can bust the pole line road into Blythe (or get on asphalt and take Chuckwalla Valley Rd into Blythe)

Assuming your riding the pole line out of Blythe, going due North to Vidal;

Jump off the pole line towards Vidal, and you'll get an awesome ride through some dunes and scenic areas where you can look all over the valley. The "turn" I'm talking about is at; N33.92945 W114.68063

If your not riding the pole line, you can always go through Quartzsite and then North to Parker. Another VERY COOL area to explore.

By my Calcs and experiences... that day is a long one if your riding mostly dirt. If 200 miles is a long day for you, then I suggest staying off my suggestions and on your trails that you've mapped out. My day is 265 miles from Ocotillo to Parker. So that'd be 225 from OWells (give or take).

I'm doing a little weekend DS ride withsome AZ KLR riders in March (23/24). At least one other SDAR KLR rider isjoining me, Here's the ride info if you're onKLR650.NET: http://www.klr650.ne...200#post1197200

I want to stay off the slab as much as possible.

Looking around this site, and DS Maps (thanks, Strega), Isee that a few of ourriders may have tackled the 70 miles of dirt roads between Niland and the I-10 west of Blythe. Looks like The Kug, Dirt Diva, Johnny Airtime and HotRod82 have done it.

There's one thing I can't verify: Is thetrail blocked part of the way near the Chocolate Mountain aerial bombing range? Even if so, there are ways around that. HR82 did it in2011, and I haven't seen any reports since then.

I'm using part of Strega's BradshawTrail track and want to do this:

• Leaving SD, I want to pass through Niland;
  • ride Graham Pass Road;
  • ride part of the Bradshaw Trail (junction of the two at 33°25.421'N by 115°10.347' W);
  • and exit on Wiley's Well Road 16 miles west of Blythe.
  • OR about 21 miles west of Blythe at the Ford Dry Lake exit (at 33°36.444' N and 114°59.402' W).

Can anyone shed some light on this area?

IF I go thru the bombing range and IF I locate some unexploded munitions and IFmy heavy KLR isn't tough enough to make it to the other side, you"may" receive an emergency SPOT message.

Thanks,

Dan

All apologies for the atrocious fortmating. What is up with THAT?

nice, that's quite a trip. the link in you posted got messed up, is it this one?

What's your itinerary from SD to Niland? and your way back?

There's a road off of Bradshaw that'll take you North. "Augustine Pass" is what's on my GPS map.

I've ridden this section, and highly recommend.

I did it solo, but don't suggest it.

nice, that's quite a trip. the link in you posted got messed up, is it this one?

What's your itinerary from SD to Niland? and your way back?

Yup, that's the ride. Really looking forward to it.

Just going to shoot down the 8 to EC, then turn left and run up to Niland.

I've gotta make Chino Valley/Prescott by dark and I'm unsure how the Bradshaw/Graham Pass will go.

Paul Bowers has done it...but doesn't recommend doing it solo!

Bradshaw is fine solo (in my opinion, do not rely on that as a safety endorsement, please contact legal assistance when making decisions, you experience may vary, not legal in all states) but careful on the Augustine offshoot.

10-4, will do.

I'll have my SPOT with me and will convert my route to tracks when I return.

Here's my SPOT link: DD SPOT link

that will be 1000+ miles in just a few days right? I don't think I'm conditioned for such a trip

I'm doing a little weekend DS ride withsome AZ KLR riders in March (23/24). At least one other SDAR KLR rider isjoining me, Here's the ride info if you're onKLR650.NET: http://www.klr650.ne...200#post1197200

I want to stay off the slab as much as possible.

Looking around this site, and DS Maps (thanks, Strega), Isee that a few of ourriders may have tackled the 70 miles of dirt roads between Niland and the I-10 west of Blythe. Looks like The Kug, Dirt Diva, Johnny Airtime and HotRod82 have done it. There's one thing I can't verify: Is thetrail blocked part of the way near the Chocolate Mountain aerial bombing range? Even if so, there are ways around that. HR82 did it in2011, and I haven't seen any reports since then.

I'm using part of Strega's BradshawTrail track and want to do this:

• Leaving SD, I want to pass through Niland;
  • ride Graham Pass Road;
  • ride part of the Bradshaw Trail (junction of the two at 33°25.421'N by 115°10.347' W);
  • and exit on Wiley's Well Road 16 miles west of Blythe.
  • OR about 21 miles west of Blythe at the Ford Dry Lake exit (at 33°36.444' N and 114°59.402' W).

Can anyone shed some light on this area?

IF I go thru the bombing range and IF I locate some unexploded munitions and IFmy heavy KLR isn't tough enough to make it to the other side, you"may" receive an emergency SPOT message.

Thanks,

Dan

All apologies for the atrocious fortmating. What is up with THAT?

Dan....

Sorry... just saw this post, and can shed light on your trip... but, I think you should've made it already (last weekend)??

To answer your question... yes, you can make it through the gunnery range without being blown to bits. I've done it several... (about 20) times to date. But stay on specific trails, or you can ride a small pole line road that you can pick up just due West of Niland (on the map) and just after crossing over the canal.

By looking at your SPOT track... I see waypoint #5 that you went around the gunnery range. WAY out of your way. Better safe then sorry I guess. unsure.gif

... I hope the ride went well!

Next time... if you need some GPS info for a specific area, PM me... and I'll see what I got.

JAT -

Ever had any encounters with the military po-po on the range? I know it is heavily patrolled as they have a huge problem with people retrieving scrap metal off the range. I had an encounter with two Humvee's and four mp's while camping at Summit. They rolled into our camp at 11:00PM lights out and armed with M16's. They wanted to look inside my trailer to see if we had any scrap metal. We didn't and once they verified that all was cool but there were some tense moments. This was well outside the range boundary and on BLM land. In retrospect I don't think they had any right to look in the trailer without a warrant but I really didn't want to argue the point.

JAT -

Ever had any encounters with the military po-po on the range? I know it is heavily patrolled as they have a huge problem with people retrieving scrap metal off the range. I had an encounter with two Humvee's and four mp's while camping at Summit. They rolled into our camp at 11:00PM lights out and armed with M16's. They wanted to look inside my trailer to see if we had any scrap metal. We didn't and once they verified that all was cool but there were some tense moments. This was well outside the range boundary and on BLM land. In retrospect I don't think they had any right to look in the trailer without a warrant but I really didn't want to argue the point.

No sir... never any MP types.

We've been strafed by two Helos during their operations. All they really did was make another loop around and fly RIGHT over the tops of us.... I mean, scary low. I could see the guy in the open bay's smile... as he waved at us. I think it was more a "Hey... how ya doin?!" kind of fly-by, then a "hey... get the heck outa' here" type. Lots of waving going on, from us to them! (I have it on helmet cam too I think! - I'm looking for it now)

I'd have let'em in too, as you did. Why not? Your not hiding anything... and if you don't have kids sleeping, or they aren't intruding... no big deal. Not everyone thinks the way I do, or may have a reason to NOT allow them. So... I understand either way.

One of our very first rides through the area (looking for a way around the base or main walled in area)... I also was stopped by another dirt bike rider. A guy, riding solo... who was near the Coachella Canal road and off base. His chest protector was on backwards, and he was on a red stickered bike (450R). His first question to me when we stopped was; "hey... you guys with MMACS?" (or something like that). He was from Seal Team 3.... After more conversation, we found he was referring to a Seal Team running drills. I guess they run operations out there in UTVs (or some kind of buggy) too... and, he was military just out having a good time on a bike. It was kind of comical... all of it, on helmet cam too. biggrin.gif

I wouldn't call any of the "roads" we ride in that area to be legal, or legal to the public. In fact, I don't give out the GPS files of the roads we ride for that reason. However, we ride through at a good pace and never stop to mill around in their business. Only once or twice (in the umpteen times) did we stop and snap some pictures or record helmet cam of our surroundings. In one area, they have silhouette targets of people setup... as if it's a troop or team coming through the bush. Just passed that, there's some old tanks setup (about 6 of them) ... with large spent munitions laying around. I've only taken that path twice... and we route around it these days. Don't want to piss'em off or get caught with our pants down!

EDIT: I found the video, and am putting together a clip of the ordnance area, lone biker, and helicopters (with me getting stuck in some pole guide wire). Here's the (new) link to the u-tube video; http://youtu.be/guJbfG5v41U