SCHWINN

Can-Am Spyder..A Motorcycle?

FYI, the Trex is classified as a motorcycle.

Lots of companies are using this ploy now. There is no definition of a motorcycle and as such companies are exploiting it.

It might be interesting to see how DMV classifies this vehicle...is a motorcycle endorsement necessary to operate one?

The general shape of it reminds me of a snowmobile. :wacko:

When I saw that commercial a couple months ago I did some research. On their website they have a disclaimer that it may not be a legal motorcycle in your state. In Ca you do not need a motorcycle license to drive it. Cannot be used for the motorcycle test.

Let me get this straight...if you "dab" you fail, but it you have training wheels you're fine?!?!

Classify the thing as an HOV but don't consider it (or the piaggo scooter) a motorcycle...I think it needs to be a singletrack vehicle to be a "cycle"

Not that I'm a bikesnob...but I am

You guys are all haters..... I love my Can-Am. I have the 10th anniversary. Super glide, skull head, screaming Eagle addition. Lots of Chrome and leather hanging from the handgrips. It's totally Badass !!!!!

You guys are all haters..... I love my Can-Am. I have the 10th anniversary. Super glide, skull head, screaming Eagle addition. Lots of Chrome and leather hanging from the handgrips. It's totally Badass !!!!!

10 years??? been out about 3 LOL

Hey good points everyone. like dont need Motorcycle endorsement and other things stated.

How can it be a motorcycle? Isn't more of a backwards tricycle? :coolio:

We had a kid show up at a TD with one. Obviously we did not let him ride it, but I asked im I could take it out (CR privilage) ... The thing is a death mobile on a closed course. It handles like a snowmobile and when cornering agressively the front wheel lifts and as soon as the ECU senses that it retards ignition. You would think that a good thing but it retards the ignition until you go to zero throttle (not neutral, zero) befire you can get power and thus control to the rear wheel. Granted this was a few years back, I wonder if the ECU has had an update?

We had a kid show up at a TD with one. Obviously we did not let him ride it, but I asked im I could take it out (CR privilage) ... The thing is a death mobile on a closed course. It handles like a snowmobile and when cornering agressively the front wheel lifts and as soon as the ECU senses that it retards ignition. You would think that a good thing but it retards the ignition until you go to zero throttle (not neutral, zero) befire you can get power and thus control to the rear wheel. Granted this was a few years back, I wonder if the ECU has had an update?

Can you speak English... What is TD & CR?

Can you speak English... What is TD & CR?

Ha! Glad I wasn't the only one. I finely figured out that TD must mean track day. I haven't figured out CR yet but I'm guessing SR (SteelRain) was some sort of TD official that day.

I'm guessing "TD" is track day, and "CR" ... not sure yet

CR = Control Rider .. Basically the correct way for TDorgs to save themselve from a lawsuit if one of their riders crashes into a participant; Really we are Coaches or Instructors.

If I am not mistaken California is one of states that DOES NOT require a motorcycle license. If you ride a street bike and your really good, this thing is not marketed for you. If you never rode a motorcycle, but kinda want that experience, this is who it is marketed for. This is something I would consider for my wife so she could "ride" with me. Nothing I would own, but I think it is right for some people.

Finally.......a bike(? :wacko: ) you folks rank below my beloved "Girl Bike" :lol:

My very first bike just over 2 years ago was a 2008 CRF 230L, everyone said it was a girl bike. I actually want another "girl" bike for singletrack. Being really short "Girl bikes" are just easier to deal with. I rode a 2005 XT 225 yesterday and that is a real option for the future. The fact I can touch with both feet and it feels super light makes it a winner in my book. As far as the Spyder goes, if I ain't paying for it who cares.

- I have no "issues" with the Can-Am...in fact; I hope it does really well and they start making motorcycles

I just don't think it should be ok to take a motorcycle endorsement test, when one of the prime directives is "don't dab"...

I wouldn't want to ride something with 3 wheels either, due to the THREE...count'em ...THREE "tracks" going down the lane...two wheels to avoid the potholes and the other tracking down an oil-filled track...

Plus- one of the funnest things about the old 3 wheelers was getting up on two wheel- now some safety-crat decides you can do THAT

When the spyder riders start grouping up in 30 member gangs, attaching ridiculous quantities of mirrors, start wearing orange pants, drinking Monster drinks at gas stations, and doing donuts in the parking lot...NOW I'm really pissed

I rode one, then i went and bought a KLR, and i still cant fit in anywhere :)

Can you take the MC test on it? Checking the can-Am site you only need a drivers license in California and it CAN NOT be uised to take the MC test. I believe the only vehicle you should use to take an MC test is a 2-wheeled manual tranny bike. I know the have a scooter license too, that makes sense. One thing Camp Pendleton does is if you ride a Sports Bike you must go through a sports bike course to ride it on base. Since it was free to me I have went through two courses on Pendleton (I'm retired), smartest thing I ever did as far as bikes go. Cool thing is you are required to ride your bike. Some courses you must ride the course bikes, which are usually 250cc Rebels or the like. You get your license and bam, you hop on your 1000cc 200hp super bike. This is what most young guys will do. My being older (and smarter I hope), I bought a new CRF 230L and rode it for 18 months, then bought a big dual sport. I know how I was as a young man (glad I waited to ride), I would have been the dumbass passing the test on a 250 and thinking I could ride anything. That is why I want a little bike for single track and use my 625SXC for open adventure type not very technical riding. My Katoom is a blast but way too much bike for me in technical stuff. I think you should have to test on what you own and a cc limit up to 18 years old and a special test for sport bikes. Let's face it if you own a sports bike you will see how fast you can go. Heck, I have opened my KTM to see how fast it would go on the freeway on a long straightaway.

Maybe it's a roadster? I'm sure it requires a helmet in CA.

Well it's too wide where I want to go, but it looks like more fun than a power mower at least. :torch:

Street quad ride. I loved it. 1000 cc. engine, wheels. What is not to like? They should make a dual sport version.