JohnnyAirtime

Helmet Lighting - I'm amazed, at the cheap priced Cyclops LED

I have to say... I'm not much of a "helmet light" user or wearer.

I simply have never really needed one due to the lighting on my CRF, which is the Airtime-HID system (go figure!). That headlight puts out amazing dual HID light! Never do you really need much more. (ya ya... shameless plug)

HOWEVER...

I've used the NiteRider HID helmet light, mostly during races of long destination rides. And mostly as not a riding light, but a work light for when I step off the bike or need light in an emergency. In fact, I'm selling my HID nite rider... because I bought a new LED type, and because the HID on my NiteRider took a dump on me. Even when the NiteRider worked, I wasn't so impressed with it's very blue output. It almost made it harder for me to see, so it was rarely used even as a true backup. So why this post?? Read on...

Buying a new helmet light, and opting for an LED; I was skeptical about the cheap cost being listed on another website forum, and skeptical because of the claims of such a (cheap costing) light. Why so skeptical?? Well, I know what LEDs put out in lumens, and I know how many manufacturers lie about the total output and it's effectiveness. It's a world thats not too tightly regulated, so you have to go with others reviews in most cases... and even then those people could be used to nothing, or not have had much experience or much to compare to. You just never know these days. Hence I take it all with a grain of salt, and usually have to try it out for myself. And that, I did.

I BOUGHT a Cyclops Adventure LED (as posted here)

... I've yet to take it out and use it on the trail, but I will tell you... I'm thoroughly impressed with it's TINY size, and whopping output!! It also helps that the 4+hr battery is tiny, and very compact (looks to be 4 18650s wrapped tightly in a rubber material). And all for just over $100. Now, I've also used the Baja Designs Stryker Helmet Light and can say that thing is HUGE and a tiny bit more output. But it's also TWICE as much. Not too optimal for MY needs, but it might be for you if you rode solely with a helmet light. But who does that these days?! And shoot... you can buy two Cyclops for that price, and have great coverage if your to solely use helmet lights for night riding (which is just nuts unless your a mtn biker or ride at a snails pace).

So far, my experience of this light is great. From the call I received post purchase to make sure all-is-well, to the box it came in. But more importantly, I plan on mounting this light on my helmet (and maybe even the battery for less wires to my Ogio Vest) and using it for my next desert or dual sport adventure. And when I do... I'll be sure to update this posting. I'm sure it'll be two-thumbs up!!

... If your not the type who loves night rides... then you must have poor lighting! :ph34r: Upgrade now, and it'll open your eyes to a whole new adventure!! I LOVE IT!! (and no, that's not a plug... it's the truth!)

I love LED lights. I am hoping someday soon a manufacturer will make a replacement (powerful) headlight. An LED headlight wouldnt require the purchase of a more powerfull stator. Any chance you can show us a pic of how you mounted the light to your helmet ?

After having the light for a few days, Johnny, do you have any photos of its light output? Does your battery get warm (or hot more exactly) during usage or when charging?? I have been looking at a similar light called "magicshine" from a company in AZ. and wondered if you really like the Cyclops.

Thanks for the tip. I'm gonna have to grab one for the next Big Bear ride. I really enjoy that night ride. Who knows, maybe I'll do more of it in general.

I love LED lights. I am hoping someday soon a manufacturer will make a replacement (powerful) headlight. An LED headlight wouldnt require the purchase of a more powerfull stator. Any chance you can show us a pic of how you mounted the light to your helmet ?

I've not mounted it yet... but, I will do so next week and post up a picture.

...and there are people making aftermarket LED headlights that direct bolt into some of the OEM plastics. They work "okay" thus far, but still are a LONG shot to good HID.

After having the light for a few days, Johnny, do you have any photos of its light output? Does your battery get warm (or hot more exactly) during usage or when charging?? I have been looking at a similar light called "magicshine" from a company in AZ. and wondered if you really like the Cyclops.

Haven't used it on the bike yet... just around the house, and on my mtn bike 'for fun' when taking the dog around the block for a run.

Hot battery? Naa, not enough to be concerned with. The battery is neatly tucked into a nice soft case that you can strap to you or stuff in a jacket or vest pocket. It's small, and tidy.

Output - No, no photos. I don't think photos would do it justice. In fact, I don't have much to compare it to when I'd take photos. And we all know, photos are a horrible way to "qualify" a light's output as the stray light isn't captured in a picture and if you don't know how to use a camera efficiently (me!!), it's a null point anyway. If I posted a photo... it could deter or provoke you to buy, and either way I don't think it's fair to the manufacturer (since I'm so lousy at taking night shots).

... any of you are more than welcome to come over and check it out at night. Strap it on (excuse the commentary! :ph34r: ) and take it for a ride :unsure: ... around the block on my mtn bike. Let yourself be the judge IN PERSON, rather than take my word for it... or the lack of photos at this point.

... If your not the type who loves night rides... then you must have poor lighting! :ph34r: Upgrade now, and it'll open your eyes to a whole new adventure!! I LOVE IT!! (and no, that's not a plug... it's the truth!)

I agree with your lighting philosophy. I have had good luck purchasing LED lights from Geomangear.com U.S distribution and great customer service. They have the original magicshine and a few other options. Geoman has recalled and stopped using the older style battery packs that came with magicshine lights :coolio: and has a new and supposedly much better battery now.

I like their new model the bikerayIII:

BRRayIIILH1.jpg

Magicshine:

MJ808LHwatermark.jpg

Most of these are geared toward the mtn bike crew so moto helmet mounting might be a challenge. I am in no way affiliated with Geomangear, just sharing my positive experiences I have had dealing with them.

a good thing about the bicycle lights is: they are usually really light, and stick anywhere with good velcro... use zip ties as a safety strap SHOULD they fall off

when I had good lights for mountain biking, my biggest issue was always proper placemtn... where it didn't shine up all of the dust; or create weird shadows; etc.

LEDs are approximately the same efficiency as HID but can be dimmed to any desired level. The issue currently is that they do not make a single LED bulb that has the same output as a single, high power, HID but they are getting close quickly and a few LED dies will get you to a very nice system (if proper optics can be found for the beam pattern you desire). You see racers with huge lenses on HID's and that is how they can have so much throw, something currently not done for LED at least to my knowledge.

The most promising LEDs currently are 10watts per bulb.

Some I made up for mtn biking. These two lights were brighter than the other guys with $600 HID mtn bike systems when I made them a few years ago. ~17 Watts ~1100 Lumens together

As BS noted these can be velcroed onto a helmet (Moto or mtn bike) or onto a mount on my handlebars.

DSC00944.jpg

The main thing I do not like about the lights show here is that the seem to have a limited range of voltage input... Some of them have max of 9 volts. It would be really nice to find ones which could use the batteries or plug into the bikes electrical system.

Or maybe a regulator can be found which drops 12-16v to what is required by these lights.

LEDs are approximately the same efficiency as HID but can be dimmed to any desired level. The issue currently is that they do not make a single LED bulb that has the same output as a single, high power, HID but they are getting close quickly and a few LED dies will get you to a very nice system (if proper optics can be found for the beam pattern you desire). You see racers with huge lenses on HID's and that is how they can have so much throw, something currently not done for LED at least to my knowledge.

The most promising LEDs currently are 10watts per bulb.

Some I made up for mtn biking. These two lights were brighter than the other guys with $600 HID mtn bike systems when I made them a few years ago. ~17 Watts ~1100 Lumens together ........

I'm not in agreeance just yet with LED being "same efficiency" nor "same output" nor "similar cost" just yet... but they are getting closer and closer each year.

... I state that simply because a single 35W 3amp HID in a small 4x6 reflector still puts out 3500lumens. Sure, you go big optics/reflectors to FOCUS the beam and get optimum throw... but, it's not necessary. Even when you combine multiple LEDs into one 4x6 headlight, you don't get that much more output. Meaning, it's not a 1 to 1 ratio. 2 1000lumen LEDs, don't make a visual 2000lumen output. Same as 2 3500lumen HIDs, don't give you a visual 7000lumen output. All it gives you is a bit brighter, in a more broad field of vision. As my example, aim two flashlights in the same circle... does it get twice as bright?? Not exactly, but it is brighter.... (thats my super-scientific-highly-calibrated-NASA-observation) :coolio:

In my experience, the high output LEDs are burning VERY hot, and still aren't 1 for 1 the output of HID. NOR, can you focus them as easily as you can an HID (most LED setups stil lack throw and are more a flood pattern, no matter the amount of LEDs used). I'm not saying that there won't be a day they are better than HID, just not yet. If they were, more and more manufacturers (other than Audi) would be putting them in production vehicles. I've also noticed to get the same or similar output of HID (in lumens), the current draw goes way up. Of course, thats due to having to use many (rather than one) LED (no matter it's type) to get that kind of output. And then here comes the heat again, when trying to reach high lumen output. If your going for maximum output, why would you want the ability to dim? (unless your on batteries and worried about draw, then you shouldn't be going for maximum output in the first place. Right?). I know there's a happy medium. And still, you don't get the perfect focal point or throw that you can with HID in a single xenon arc.

Part of my point; I've modified so many hand held spotlights and flashlights with HID and LED, that still to this day... the HID is the most simple, and effective. When it comes to compact, and useful... LEDs are a great resource when used in limited space. Like this LED Cyclops. It'll work JUST for what I bought it for. My HIDs, are still far superior for my needs in my headlights.

But that's not the point of this review of the Cyclops LED light. And I'd rather stay on topic instead of debate HID over LED (because it could go on and on, with no relevance to topic). ;)

... so where were we? :heh:

I agree with your lighting philosophy. I have had good luck purchasing LED lights from Geomangear.com U.S distribution and great customer service. They have the original magicshine and a few other options. .........................................

Magicshine:

MJ808LHwatermark.jpg

Most of these are geared toward the mtn bike crew so moto helmet mounting might be a challenge. I am in no way affiliated with Geomangear, just sharing my positive experiences I have had dealing with them.

WOW... that light, and that package (with battery) and mount... looks, JUST LIKE the Cyclops. However, there isn't a crown style guard on the (Cyclops) light and the cooling fins are the opposite direction compared the magicshine you pictured. Looks like, they may be made abroad (duh)... with slight or subtle changes being made per seller/request.

Still, a great package in a small LED light. Especially for occasional use. I don't think I'd ride solely with a light like this... unless it was an emergency. I'm too used to my dual Xenon HID headlight, that puts out some serious light. However, if it ever failed... I'd have a light to get me out of trouble for the first 4hrs.

same efficiency is simply saying LED produces the same Lumens per watt as HID, nothing more.

Simply stuffing LED's into the same housing is the issue you are encountering. You need a reflector made specifically for the LED's and is something I had mentioned.

Everything else you say about multiple LEDS not being the same as a single high output HID is the same thing as I was saying.

You mention pointing two lights at the same location... in that case you do have double the photons coming back to your eye what is happening is that you eye is not linear to light input. From my memory it is a logarithmic relation, quadruple light entering eye gives the appearance of doubling the brightness. But this is no different than a single light with double the output and the same beam pattern.

As for dimming it is a very good thing to have when on batteries... going slow, dial it back. Going fast, put on full. This is how one can have a 17 watt system on a mountain bike and last for many hours on a small battery.

But yes... back on topic.

I wonder if these are of similar quality?

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mj-808-ha-iii-ssc-p7-c-sxo-3-mode-900-lumen-led-bike-light-set-44459

You mention pointing two lights at the same location... in that case you do have double the photons coming back to your eye what is happening is that you eye is not linear to light input. From my memory it is a logarithmic relation, quadruple light entering eye gives the appearance of doubling the brightness. But this is no different than a single light with double the output and the same beam pattern.

As for dimming it is a very good thing to have when on batteries... going slow, dial it back. Going fast, put on full. This is how one can have a 17 watt system on a mountain bike and last for many hours on a small battery.

But yes... back on topic.

I wonder if these are of similar quality?

http://www.dealextre...light-set-44459

So it takes 4 lights, to give the idea of twice the brightness?! Right?!

... ahhh shucks. When LEDs are dialed in to the output (no matter how you slice it or dice it) of HID, and cost same or less... I'm buying. :)

And those dealextreme lights look pretty much identical to some offered as <insert brand here>, don't they?! I mean... down to the plugs, mounts...etc. No surprise.

And, btw... I love dealextreme and bestofferbuy for my LED flashlights (Cree, P4...etc) ... a great resource. Just have to take the good with the bad. Once I ordered 45 LED flashlights for a 'destination ride' to give out as gifts to the riders and support crew. About 10 of them came defunct, and never did I get replacements or a resolution to the issue. Customer Service was NULL.