dirtdiva

Help - What bike to buy?

Hi all,

First let me say that I'm new to the forum and am fumbling my way around so if I do something ridiculous - sorry in advance :) I have been riding dirt bikes for about 6 years - off road only, and my ride is a modified Honda CRF250X with a severly shaved seat - laugh if you must (and most guys do) but it's the only way I can touch the ground without altering the suspension. So now I'm looking to start riding dual sport to broaden my trail horizons but I don't know which bike I should get - I'm looking for something that I will fit on and still have all the power I want and am used to. I am 5'4" tall and 120 lbs. I love the light weight and nimbleness of my 250 and want a dual sport that behaves similar. I have looked at the Kawasaki 250 and my toes barely touch the ground and it feels light enough, but I don't know how it handles. Also, I'm wondering if there are other options out there for me to consider as well (and by the way, money is definitely an object so used would be good) - without practically rebuilding the bike to fit me..... Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated.... Looking forward to meeting you all out there very soon!!!!!!

Diane

you may want to look at the yamaha wr250. I have been told it is the perfect bike for girls.

You might want to look at a European 450. They will have way better power than the Kawi 250 and actually weigh less. You can still have them lowered.

Welcome to the club.thumbsup.gif

you may want to look at the yamaha wr250. I have been told it is the perfect bike for girls.

:lol:

I think that is somewhat true.

but... I don't think it will feel as light or powerful as your CRF... it'll be hard to do that without going KTM or Husky if you ask me. Somebody was recently selling a bored out KTM 250 on this site (I think)

I think you will find all of the true DS to feel underpowered and heavy compared to your Honda... most will feel tall, also

Good luck

First let me say welcome to the group. I also have a 250X. I did lower my suspension internally on that one so as to not mess up the ergos. I use this as my desert race and baja bike. I am also 5'4"

As far as dualsport goes, there's not much out there now, unless you can find a plated 250X or WR250F (not x/r). All the good power is on the really tall bikes. My KTM is huge! But I guess you can lower most anything.

KLX250 maybe? Not light, but low.

I look forward to riding with you sometime.

Most bikes you can get a lowering link for, and you can shave a seat (Ask dsfox, she's got that Turkey Carving technique down to a science).

The WR250R, although being called a 'girl bike' is only done so in terms of engine size. That bike is 298 lbs factory wet...that's no REAL girl bike in my opinion. I think there is an XT225 for sale on the forum, that might be a good idea. Even with the smaller bikes you can pipe and jet them and get a lil more umph outa them. Some of them even have a big bore kit.

On a side note, if all your riding gear is black, you'll ride better, faster, and be able to ride wheelies from San Diego to Vegas no problem. :)

Best of luck in your search, and welcome to the club!!

You might want to look at a European 450. They will have way better power than the Kawi 250 and actually weigh less. You can still have them lowered.

That was my thought too, but she did say money WAS an issue. Fact is, when cost matters, you generally pic Japanese.... later on, when you decide your time is worth more than your money, you upgrade to something like a KTM or a Husky

I would really like to have a Euro 450ish too, but find it hard to justify the cost with how little I ride, how badly I ride, and how much my family could care less about either... they sure care about my money, though

I would really like to have a Euro 450ish too, but find it hard to justify the cost with how little I ride, how badly I ride

If I had to use that for my justification, I guess I wouldn't have any bikes at all....but I love motorcycles. :wub: If I had all the money that I've spent over the years on motorcycles....I'd just spend it on motorcycles.

If I had all the money that I've spent over the years on motorcycles....I'd just spend it on motorcycles.

Mind if I quote you on that ? * LOL *

That was my thought too, but she did say money WAS an issue. Fact is, when cost matters, you generally pic Japanese.... later on, when you decide your time is worth more than your money, you upgrade to something like a KTM or a Husky

I would really like to have a Euro 450ish too, but find it hard to justify the cost with how little I ride, how badly I ride, and how much my family could care less about either... they sure care about my money, though

Hi Bob

My experience is that once you get over your prime (somewhere in my mid 40's for me) I found myself settling in for my nostalgia bikes and what was really comfortable for ME to ride. My friend Gawin a Honda dealer in Page is my age also and his personal ride is a mid 90's XR400 which he converted to electric start. He could ride any bike in his showroom but this is his favorite ride. Mine is the 84 XL350r the bike which became the XR400 when the EPA restrictions made the Gutzy 4 valve dual carb XL350r noncompliant. I still have my 350's and ride them on most SDAR rides. Over time cost becomes a non issue when you start accumulating bikes that are no longer "au courant". At my age you no longer care what the current generation thinks is "cool". I know what I know and could care less what others think of my bikes.

I enjoy my bikes because they are beautiful machines and have always served me well.

Good hunting Slut. Here's hoping you find your permanent 2 wheel mate one of these days.

Like in music-new in bikes is not always better.

Don

dirt diva...welcome to the site, you will love it...much more personal and cordial than some of those world wide sites....

as to which bike to ride...that is proverbial million dollar question

there are not really any 250cc street legal bikes that will feel like your crf250 on power or handling..

if you go with a euro 450 it will handle well and be fast but it will feel like a beast compared to your 250x.

if you go with an asian 250, it will be sluggish on both handling and power...no offense wrr riders.

the yami wr250r is a fantastic motorcycle, but they are tall...you would HAVE to alter your suspension to ride it comfortably since the seat doesnt have alot of room to shave it down.

the klx 250 is also a great bike in general, but it is quite heavy and somewhat under powered compared to you current ride.

even in euro bikes only husky makes a street legal 250. and that bike is quite pricey...but you would probably love that TE250 husky...a little tall but i dont think as tall as the wrr

sorry for the lack of positive help...probably your best option would be to find someone with a ktm 250xc that was plated a couple years ago.

there was one for sale on here that had a 350 kit in it and it was plated, very nice and seemed like a fair price

there was one for sale on here that had a 350 kit in it and it was plated, very nice and seemed like a fair price

it sold

Zenosan- I know, I know... but she wants a bike to ride like her crf250, but with a plate... with money as a factor... light, fast, cheap... pick any TWO... not going to get all 3, unless you really luck out

I think dirdames suggestion to look for a Euro 450 is a good one. Yeah; it will feel a bit like a beast, but practice can turn that power to your advantage. (in my limited experience)

as cool as the old school bikes are, they really are nothing like a CRF (for good or bad)... don't forget; I have a XR250 in my stable too. I am glad it works for you and your buddy, but I think she may be disappointed in one... IF I ever mature, I may very well go back to an old school bike and scoff at "the young kids today and their new fangled electric bikes with helium assist jumping, and gyroscopic anti-crashing devices... why... in my day, we KICK STARTED gasoLINE powered motorsickles, and made a bunch of noise... why we scared the wimmins and chillin with our noise... and we all had scars, cuz that's just how we did it back then!"... man! I think I may like this old curmudgeon gig!

diva (are you at thumpertalk too? name is familiar)- good luck on your hunt

you take the crf250x to Arizona with a baja designs kit, register it and claim over 7000 miles or whatever the title exchange limit into California is and transfer it to a CA and vuala!! a dual sport that is similer in weight, hight, power and handling as your off road only crf250x.

troublesome, and risky... uh, that idea, not you starpal

first- need somebody with an addy etc. in arizona

buy the baja designs kit

hope it can get registered in Cali

hope the plate doesn't get pulled

I actually like Christi's idea of finding a plated dirtbike... get a plated WRF or YZF, and you might find you don't need the CRF any more...

it sold

Zenosan- I know, I know... but she wants a bike to ride like her crf250, but with a plate... with money as a factor... light, fast, cheap... pick any TWO... not going to get all 3, unless you really luck out

I think dirdames suggestion to look for a Euro 450 is a good one. Yeah; it will feel a bit like a beast, but practice can turn that power to your advantage. (in my limited experience)

as cool as the old school bikes are, they really are nothing like a CRF (for good or bad)... don't forget; I have a XR250 in my stable too. I am glad it works for you and your buddy, but I think she may be disappointed in one... IF I ever mature, I may very well go back to an old school bike and scoff at "the young kids today and their new fangled electric bikes with helium assist jumping, and gyroscopic anti-crashing devices... why... in my day, we KICK STARTED gasoLINE powered motorsickles, and made a bunch of noise... why we scared the wimmins and chillin with our noise... and we all had scars, cuz that's just how we did it back then!"... man! I think I may like this old curmudgeon gig!

diva (are you at thumpertalk too? name is familiar)- good luck on your hunt

Bikeslut

I know you know better but as a professor of Logic and Critical Thinking I feel compelled to say it anyway!

Argumentum Ad Hominem

CRF 250 - 226 Lbs

Fast - Yup

Cheap - Nope

79 Husky 250OR - 230 Lbs

Fast - Yup

Cheap - Nope (One of the most expensive bikes in it's day)

hey diane, deb here...also 5'4" so I feel your pain....i'm afraid you won't find something light and nimble like your honda unless you find an older one plated before the dmv made it close to impossible to do that.....You have the advantage of riding dirt for 6 years, I started cold 2 years ago with nothing but quad experience...:blush: but I'm loving my bikes soooo much, i haven't touched the quad since....

I have an 09klx250s, which I bought new for all the reasons mentioned, mostly the only bike I could touch the ground on, that was a "decent" dirt bike, non "play-bike" ride.....I shaved 2 inches off the seat, and yes, I'd be happy to help you with that...being short, I've done it to all my bikes and gotten pretty good at it...You are also welcome to ride mine....let's plan a ride...before you buy it, good to take it out.....Are you motorcylce permitted yet?......

GOOD POINTS: reliable bike, plenty of power (IF you pipe and rejet...kind of a must since the factory chokes the poor things down soooo much)...so about $500 there....

this bike will cruise up just about anything like a tractor....always starts, good gas mileage (up to 50 mpg after rejet...they say 70+ before rejet)....

Can get seat down to about 32-22" without messing with the handling.....

Inexpensive..a buddy of mine back east just got a BRAND NEW ONE...for under $4k......

BAD POINTS: It weighs over 300 lbs, which for us is pushing the "big bike" over double your body weight category....even though it's only a 250......the weight IS carried relatively low however, so it's only an issue when you drop the bike and have to pick it up......which sucks....

I then purchased a Plated 01kdx220 bored out to 250+....2 stroke, very light weight, nimble....peppy......but short fuel range even with a desert tank on it..., which can be an issue for dual sporting, and it has no engine breaking for the most part down hill....which on some trails, I wish i had.......and you carry premix...no big deal at all....

so I recently upgraded to a ktm450exc....awesome amazing bike, which I love..30+ lbs lighter than the klx with double the horsepower....very nice ride.......still learning it's particular quirks...these are for sure more expensive to buy, more and higher cost maintenance..and they are tall, mine is older 03' and a little shorter than the newer ones with seat heights around 37-38".....tough for a 29" inseam.......but can be lowered through adding a spacer in the suspension and dropping front forks a bit..(ask kkug, he did this to his bike).....this is expensive though, like $600...because they don't have regular links.....many non ktm bikes you can buy "kouba links" for and drop them up to 3"...for less than $200......apparently you do loose some of the handling with this though........because I now have 2 WHOLE years....(and I say this sarcastically, because I'm still a newb)......I'm pretty much able to handle the ktm, a tad too tall but I manage..get in trouble on more technical terrain, but for the most part....awesome.......just rode it in mammoth for 3 days and loved it, except it overheats (no fan)....I guess ktm's are famous for this...but honestly, it was only an issue when climbing rocky terrain or on tighter technical trails....so you rest and take in the scenery and let the bike cool off....an easy thing to do in mammoth for sure...the batteries are weak on these, so I'm considering a higher cranking amp battery and a new stator....few hundred bucks I think....stock seats are like rock, so I got a new soft foam and installed that...much better.......

I've considered the wr250's..(crawdaddy's newest favorite bike)......more bike than the klx, but same weight, 1-2" taller and carries the weight a little higher....BUT , those can be lowered easily....also a bit more expensive...

Anyway....that's my $20 instead of .02...send me a "personal conversation", or call me (number in members only)....and you can come over and try them all....might help you decide.....take care, debie

hey diane, deb here...also 5'4" so I feel your pain....i'm afraid you won't find something light and nimble like your honda unless you find an older one plated before the dmv made it close to impossible to do that.....You have the advantage of riding dirt for 6 years, I started cold 2 years ago with nothing but quad experience...:blush: but I'm loving my bikes soooo much, i haven't touched the quad since....

I have an 09klx250s, which I bought new for all the reasons mentioned, mostly the only bike I could touch the ground on, that was a "decent" dirt bike, non "play-bike" ride.....I shaved 2 inches off the seat, and yes, I'd be happy to help you with that...being short, I've done it to all my bikes and gotten pretty good at it...You are also welcome to ride mine....let's plan a ride...before you buy it, good to take it out.....Are you motorcylce permitted yet?......

GOOD POINTS: reliable bike, plenty of power (IF you pipe and rejet...kind of a must since the factory chokes the poor things down soooo much)...so about $500 there....

this bike will cruise up just about anything like a tractor....always starts, good gas mileage (up to 50 mpg after rejet...they say 70+ before rejet)....

Can get seat down to about 32-22" without messing with the handling.....

Inexpensive..a buddy of mine back east just got a BRAND NEW ONE...for under $4k......

BAD POINTS: It weighs over 300 lbs, which for us is pushing the "big bike" over double your body weight category....even though it's only a 250......the weight IS carried relatively low however, so it's only an issue when you drop the bike and have to pick it up......which sucks....

I then purchased a Plated 01kdx220 bored out to 250+....2 stroke, very light weight, nimble....peppy......but short fuel range even with a desert tank on it..., which can be an issue for dual sporting, and it has no engine breaking for the most part down hill....which on some trails, I wish i had.......and you carry premix...no big deal at all....

so I recently upgraded to a ktm450exc....awesome amazing bike, which I love..30+ lbs lighter than the klx with double the horsepower....very nice ride.......still learning it's particular quirks...these are for sure more expensive to buy, more and higher cost maintenance..and they are tall, mine is older 03' and a little shorter than the newer ones with seat heights around 37-38".....tough for a 29" inseam.......but can be lowered through adding a spacer in the suspension and dropping front forks a bit..(ask kkug, he did this to his bike).....this is expensive though, like $600...because they don't have regular links.....many non ktm bikes you can buy "kouba links" for and drop them up to 3"...for less than $200......apparently you do loose some of the handling with this though........because I now have 2 WHOLE years....(and I say this sarcastically, because I'm still a newb)......I'm pretty much able to handle the ktm, a tad too tall but I manage..get in trouble on more technical terrain, but for the most part....awesome.......just rode it in mammoth for 3 days and loved it, except it overheats (no fan)....I guess ktm's are famous for this...but honestly, it was only an issue when climbing rocky terrain or on tighter technical trails....so you rest and take in the scenery and let the bike cool off....an easy thing to do in mammoth for sure...the batteries are weak on these, so I'm considering a higher cranking amp battery and a new stator....few hundred bucks I think....stock seats are like rock, so I got a new soft foam and installed that...much better.......

I've considered the wr250's..(crawdaddy's newest favorite bike)......more bike than the klx, but same weight, 1-2" taller and carries the weight a little higher....BUT , those can be lowered easily....also a bit more expensive...

Anyway....that's my $20 instead of .02...send me a "personal conversation", or call me (number in members only)....and you can come over and try them all....might help you decide.....take care, debie

Deb,

WOW - That is all great info - Thanks so much!!! I will definitely take you up on your offer to come check out your bikes. It's one thing to sit on one in the show room but quite another to evaluate it with a ride. I do have my M/C permit and am taking the safety course this weekend to finalize the M/C license. Funny - I can maneuver rock gardens, sand dunes and the motocross track - curious to see how that skill translates to pot holes and moving vehicles. Thanks again and you will hear from me soon!!!! I am just itchin to get a bike and ride!!!!

I just want to say a HUGE THANKS to everyone who responded to my "cry for help". I'm not sure if I feel more informed or more confused - LOL - Actually both. You all have given me so many good points to consider and I am processing it all. Have to say you have changed my mind regarding KTM and Husky and I am now considering them both. Decided $$$ should not be the deciding factor (especially since I spent more on my mountain bike than most people spend on their motorcycle - but shhhhh that's our secret) because I ride ALOT. And really - what are the chances that all 3 of my kids will actually need a college fund - HAHA. Can't wait to find the right bike and ride with you all!!!!

Diane

I've considered the wr250's..(crawdaddy's newest favorite bike)......more bike than the klx, but same weight, 1-2" taller and carries the weight a little higher....BUT , those can be lowered easily....also a bit more expensive..

The WR250R can be lowered via a stock adjustment and through the use of a lowering link

Go here: http://rickramsey.net/WR250Rmods.htm#lower

It's a bit of a pig, but it's NOT top heavy in my opinion.....and they're becoming much cheaper in the used market now that they've been out a couple of years.....Fred just picked one up for $3K....

The CRF230F that Tom is selling might be a good bike to consider......it won't have the performance of the 250X but it's low/light/cheap......my daughter likes her 230F.....