Have an old steel gas tank with a lot of rust on inside. Is there somewhere local for dipping/cleaning/......suggestions?

Thx

Edit: Don't care about the paint...it needs to be redone anyway.

Maybe Tree would have a contact through his Powder Coating biz?

There used to be a kit by Creme that you could buy that had a stripping agent, a cleaner and a sealant solution. I don't know if they still make the stuff, what with all the enviromental safety laws and such. I used it on my old DKW. Otherwise, I suppose that you could use that jelly stuff that removes rust and a tank full of steel shot to get everything out.

yeah TH here it is. i have used it before and it works good. i have a kit sitting right now on my shelf for my 1965 yamaha ym1 im rebuilding.

you need to use the whole kit with the sealer as well as the stripper/cleaner. if you just strip it inside it will rust again so get the kit and seal it when you are done. it is not JUST a sealer for leaks it is a rust PREVENTER for the future

http://www.kreemproducts.net/p-16-kreem-tank-prep.aspx

Used to use Naval Jelly for stripping rust.....

Only place that I can think of to start the rust removal process by way of a "dip" would be a radiator shop or a plating / chroming shop........

Dip is not only what I am.....it's also a guess.... :unsure:

Thx for the product links!

Ive cleaned and sealed allot of gas tanks in the past. The local radiator shops can boil them out for ya for about $50.00. They make a fuel tank sealer that you slosh around the inside of the tank and it seals the rust pits up real well. you can get it at Old Cars and Parts on Prospect in Santee. But just for cleaning, CLR works pretty good. Check out this link on a hot rod forum. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthr...hlight=clr+rust

Good Luck.

Ive cleaned and sealed allot of gas tanks in the past. The local radiator shops can boil them out for ya for about $50.00. They make a fuel tank sealer that you slosh around the inside of the tank and it seals the rust pits up real well. you can get it at Old Cars and Parts on Prospect in Santee. But just for cleaning, CLR works pretty good. Check out this link on a hot rod forum. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthr...hlight=clr+rust

Good Luck.

methanol and potassium hydroxide ...(KOH)... LYE KLEAN LIKE a white tornado... varnish , rust...ect...

then use the tank sealer..stuff...:)

MIX 1 gl of methanol& 1 lb of potassium hydroxide ...(KOH)... LYE .. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL..!!!

IT GET 150 DEGREES.. and has a " WILL KILL YOU ODER "...!!!!!!!!!

a respirator,...rubber gloves and eye protection , ARE A MUST...!!!

if you like your eyes hands and breathing...lol

ALSO....

" ONLY ADD THE LYE TO THE METHANOL.. NEVER ADD METHANOL TO LYE...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use the chemicals for making bio- diesel ..

and i cleaned out a older motor home fuel tank... that was killed ,with rust and varnish that looked like tar..

.... and turned it back into a working furl tank.... in 2 treatments..

....."" WARNING USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.."""