I just returned from the Big Bear Run, and fell down a few times, so I am licking my wounds (slightly strained left wrist and groin). I have to fix/order a broken right handlebar protector screw (goes in the throttle area), but I should have my bike and my bod ready for the weekend after the 4th.

I am on for the Utah trip, but have to clear it with my boss for the time off. What did I miss from the meeting?

Randy

University City

Anybody up for a shakedown pre-ride? Next weekend is the 4th, so I am thinking the weekend after. I am free on Saturday. It would be a good time to finalize our plans for times, food, etc. for the trip too. I know I didn't give enough warning for the meeting, so hopefully I did this time. I am thinking Corral? 8 am?

Anybody up for a shakedown pre-ride? Next weekend is the 4th, so I am thinking the weekend after. I am free on Saturday. It would be a good time to finalize our plans for times, food, etc. for the trip too. I know I didn't give enough warning for the meeting, so hopefully I did this time. I am thinking Corral? 8 am?

I think this is a great idea. Especially for the noobs. You should get your bike all ready before the Utah trip for the shakedown ride. This will give you a chance to make sure everything works and stays in place and you can do any adjustments before hitting the trails in Utah. This also gives everyone a chance to meet each other and make sure we can all get along together. Usually not a problem but better to find out now rather than 500 miles down the road.

If you have any questions let us know and we will help you out.

See you on the 10th at Corral.

I am still trying to get in on the big part of the ride. Where at Corral are we meeting? Four Corners or Kearnan Crossing?

I'm down to do the shakedown ride at Corral Canyon. I've never been there before...where specifically would we be meeting? I want to make sure I'll be able to find everyone...

I am still trying to get in on the big part of the ride. Where at Corral are we meeting? Four Corners or Kearnan Crossing?

I'm down to do the shakedown ride at Corral Canyon. I've never been there before...where specifically would we be meeting? I want to make sure I'll be able to find everyone...

Here is how I do it.

If you are near me we could meet and carpool.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source...111322&z=14

I also found a REALLY FUN way to do it on a bike y accident once, true DSing and legal, but not easy to get into Four Corners.

Not sure if I will be at my house in Page on those dates yet but I would like to join you for one or two of those days. It would be about a two hour drive from my house in Page to that part of Hwy 89. I will let you know in a couple of weeks. I may have to entertain relatives around that time. At this point count me a POSSIBLE.

I didn't read the entire post but I hope you guys know about Pioneer Days on July 24. Utah goes nuts that weekend.

I didn't read the entire post but I hope you guys know about Pioneer Days on July 24. Utah goes nuts that weekend.

Very good point!!! I was in Wyoming some years ago on that weekend, and they had booked everything in Wyoming also. When I asked what was going on, they looked at me like I was an idiot (and they didn't even know me). Most Utahns' have a four day weekend during Pioneer days.

Paiute trail is great riding, wish I could join you.

I did know about it, I talked to the lady at the campground, and she didn't seem to think it would affect us much. She said the campground was only half full, as most people only come for the day. I'm hoping we will be on the trail before the crowds show up and we won't even know the difference. I am just relying on someone who would like to sell me a couple sites in the campground though. Does anyone think it's a mistake to go that weekend?

I also wanted to make sure that everyone knew the shakedown ride isn't until NEXT weekend(July 10). I would love to ride this weekend too, but I've got a ton of stuff to do before the 4th. I probably could have worded that post better, sorry if I confused anyone. I was thinking four corners would be a good meeting place, but the Pine Valley Exit is way easier to find, we could meet there instead. (8 east to pine valley rd., turn right and park in the cul-de-sac)

Pioneer Days wont be a problem. If anything it could mean a free lunch in whatever town we're. :) It happened to us once and was a great experience. All the towns do a big celebration in the town park with food, games and everything. Good old home town hospitality and friendly people. Worst part is we might have to take part in the three legged race. :unsure:

I like meeting at Pine Valley for the shakedown ride. 8 am on Saturday, July 10.

Info for the noobs:(sorry if this is redundant to anyone)

Have your machines ready and full riding gear you will wear on the rides in Utah. We shouldn't need jackets/rain gear for the shakedown ride but I recommend having some for the Utah ride. Minimum riding gear is full coverage MX style boots, helmet, gloves, googles or glasses, riding gear or some other sturdy NON COTTON clothes, back pack with personal essentials :o , water and protien/energy snacks. You might not get wet in Utah but you need to plan like you will because you easily can. All the extra protection gear you can get is recommended.

Info for the noobs:(sorry if this is redundant to anyone)

Have your machines ready and full riding gear you will wear on the rides in Utah. We shouldn't need jackets/rain gear for the shakedown ride but I recommend having some for the Utah ride. Minimum riding gear is full coverage MX style boots, helmet, gloves, googles or glasses, riding gear or some other sturdy NON COTTON clothes, back pack with personal essentials :unsure: , water and protien/energy snacks. You might not get wet in Utah but you need to plan like you will because you easily can. All the extra protection gear you can get is recommended.

Do we need to be on a plated bike for Utah or will a Green Sticker with Sparky do?

Will we have a support vehicle/base camp?

Do we need to be on a plated bike for Utah or will a Green Sticker with Sparky do?

Will we have a support vehicle/base camp?

Green sticker with spark arrestor is OK. Jeep chase vehicle and base camp at Marysvale. Will most likely be day rides out of base camp. Possibility of on over night stay possibly in Salina but probably not. Jeff and I talked about it and we can cover a lot, most of the main 01 loop and lots of side trails on day rides. We can make the final decision when we are there.

Bumpitty.........so who's in for this Sat.? I haven't got to ride the Ranger trail yet, everyone up for it?

Bumpitty.........so who's in for this Sat.? I haven't got to ride the Ranger trail yet, everyone up for it?

Yep, I'm in! If you want to do Ranger I suggest we move the staging area to Corral. I don't recommend Ranger for anyone less than a good rider. Especially on dual sport bikes. We can do a bunch of easier stuff first then those wanting to do Ranger can go for it.

Yep, I'm in! If you want to do Ranger I suggest we move the staging area to Corral. I don't recommend Ranger for anyone less than a good rider. Especially on dual sport bikes. We can do a bunch of easier stuff first then those wanting to do Ranger can go for it.

That's probably me, (less than a good rider) but I would like to give a shot anyhow. :lol: So back to Corral it is. Bobcat Campground at 8 o'clock sound good?

I am in for the Utah trip. My carb is being modified, so I won't be able to ride July 10th, but I may meet you guys at the start to discuss the trip, etc.

Randy

That's probably me, (less than a good rider) but I would like to give a shot anyhow. :lol: So back to Corral it is. Four corners at 8 o'clock sound good?

How about Bobcat Campground (go left at Four Corners as you drive up) at 8 am? I may spend the day there and would like to have the shade.

Rode the "Ranger Trail" on Sunday with DigDoug. Tougher trail than I expected. It took all my energy and half my coolant. Constant over heating on the KTM 520. You have to clutch the entire trail at very slow speeds. A great trials bike trail. Skilled riders only. Tight turns with lots and lots and lots of rocks. I am not sure how a mountain biker thought this route up.

Changed my previous post for new meeting place. Bobcat sounds good. Is it just me, mctrails, and Beezzz?

Hey,

Sorry I missed the ride. I wanted to at least meet you guys at Bobcat, but I website was down yesterday. I should be able to ride next weekend once I get my carb back later next week.

Randy

Ended up having to miss also.

Got a call Friday afternoon from a group of my ADV ride guys who had two injuries and two unridable bikes. Went in after them with Tow lines and camping gear.... didn't get home until 0430 THIS MORNING

David- we demand pics and a story!

Once I get pics I will gladly share. I pulled a bikeslut and forgot my camera... or my memory card... or my battery.... Really I just forgot to use my camera. The trails were not much mofr difficult that Trail 1 at Corral but much more overgorwn (Can you believe that there is a practically unknown and legal area just outside Santa Barbara?)

The blown bikes were a F650gs and a KLR 650... I took a wheelset from more dirt prepped GS (he took his DRZ) and my other rescue ranger took his KLR. We got to the crash site, set camp and medivac'd the injured (nothing major but we found out Sunday one had fractures in the arm he "hurt"). Then the towning began. Most of the technical stuff was not photoed to my knowledge. When we got the damaged bikes to the trucks we sat and waited for the DRZ that was out tail end, without radios we had no idea where he went. After and hour we went looking and found him kicking his bike.

Apearantly the "Inner Case Cover" (Suzuki Term, not mine) on the right side split open. We decided that since we had hiked in (we had all changed out of riding gear) we would just push out.... bad idea... it was all up hill. Eventually Mark went and grabbed his KLR, but was unable to get his nerves around towing; I can dig it he is a newer rider. So I KNOW there is some cutesy video or me towing with NO gear on (I know, this is NOT my standard belief)... and once we cleard the last hill some video of Mark on the back of his KLR and Jeremy coasting down the hill on his broken DRZ. DUed was interviewing me while we were riding... I had no clue his camera was running...

At one point we are putt-putting in first gear behind the dead DRZ and I say, it is really hard to go this slow (You can laugh now Bob) then I almost tuck the front in some sand. Mark insistes we should make a video and that be the opening line.

Anyway, I will stop whoring this thread and post a real report with photos when I get them.

I am still tired and VERY sore from the ride, the rescue, and pushing a DRZ way farther than I expected/needed to.

Also, for anyone who is about to chastize me for rolling no gear please realize it is NOT my norm (a first EVERY actually; I gear up at the race track to ride a pitbike to the bathroom) but my passenger (on the KLR after I hiked) and the towee deserved the gear more. If I hurt myself it is one thing, to hurt a passenger is another.