2WheelDan

Good Dual sport trails in San Diego Mountains

Hi all,

I'm trying to find some good fire roads that would be fitting for a BMW R1200GS ADV. I just got back from a ride in the Anza Borrego area and have decided that sand is not friendly to a 600 pound beast. I need to find some simple, not too technical fire roads that lead to cool vistas etc. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance...

--Dan

Nate Harrison Grade goes up the West side of Palomar Mountain. Blackcat Canyon Road heads north from Ramona to Mesa Grande. Boulder Creek Road (just rode today for first time - thanks Gene!) goes north from Descanso to Julian. I think these three would be very do-able on a big bike, I've ridden them on my KLR which isn't exactly a lightweight.

You need a map of Cleveland National Forest also. There's Pine Creek, Deer Park, and Thing Valley in the Laguna Mountain Area. Sometimes you have to deal with locked gates though.

I will plan some rides after the Desert Dash to show some of you the area, if you haven't been to some of these places. As soon as my foot heals up.

Boulder Creek Road and Viejas Grade road would probably be good. There's a couple of ride write ups on Boulder Creek Road in the ride write up section. Between the two write ups and an online map, you should be able to find your way.

Thanks guys! I would love some company. Not many folks I know have bikes like this. I need to find some folks with similar bad habits. :unsure: I'll continue to frequent this site and look foward to meeting some of you!

--Dan