KTMrad

Phoenix Truck Driver Charged in Moto Tragedy

April 7, 2010

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

To share this story, share this link: http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/news/story.asp?id=1878

Sanitation truck driver charged in Phoenix motorcycle tragedy

PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- The sanitation truck driver who ran into the back of a group of motorcyclists stopped at a stoplight in Phoenix on March 25 -- killing four of them and injuring five others -- has been arrested on suspicion of being under the influence of methamphetamine at the time of the crash, the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) reports.

Police arrested truck driver Michael Jakscht, 46, on April 6 and booked him on four counts of manslaughter, five counts of aggravated assault and seven counts of endangerment.

Initial toxicology tests on blood drawn from Jakscht on the day of the crash show he had the illegal drug methamphetamine in his system, according to police. He could face an additional charge of impaired driving, police said.

Motorcyclists who died as a result of the crash were Daniel Butler, 35; Clyde Nachand, 67; Stephen Punch, 52; and Dale Downs-Totonchi, 47. Another motorcyclist, Phoenix Fire Capt. Ernie Lizarraga, 52, remains hospitalized suffering from injuries sustained in the crash.

"We commend the Phoenix Police Department for its diligence in pursuing this case, and for getting the initial toxicology results as quickly as possible," said Ed Moreland, AMA vice president for government relations. "We understand that toxicology results normally take about six weeks to process, and the police were able to get initial results in this case in just two weeks.

"We again express our condolences on behalf of the AMA and its members to the families of those killed, and hope for a full recovery for those injured," Moreland said. "We will continue to watch this case closely."

About the American Motorcyclist Association

Since 1924, the AMA has protected the future of motorcycling and promoted the motorcycle lifestyle. AMA members come from all walks of life, and they navigate many different routes on their journey to the same destination: freedom on two wheels. As the world's largest motorcycling rights organization, the AMA advocates for motorcyclists' interests in the halls of local, state and federal government, the committees of international governing organizations, and the court of public opinion. Through member clubs, promoters and partners, the AMA sanctions more motorsports competition and motorcycle recreational events than any other organization in the world. AMA members receive money-saving discounts from dozens of well-known suppliers of motorcycle services, gear and apparel, bike rental, transport, hotel stays and more. Through its Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum, the AMA preserves the heritage of motorcycling for future generations.

thanx for the update RAD...the accident was bad enough but now to find out he was on drugs really is aggrevating...

if i may put a different spin on things though....

some thing i noticed in that report was the large age variation of the riders..35-67 and everywhere in between. that is one thing i love about motorcycles....if you love riding...you love riding..no matter your age, no matter your situation. we all enjoy doing and our differences go away when we are on our bikes.

in my faith i am surrounded by fellow worshipers from little kids to old folks and we all have a bond of our faith that makes us all close and dear friends. we have a deep love for each other and we all learn from each other whether young or old. our lives are enriched by our association with different people of all age and races and back rounds.....

motorcycles offer some of the same kind of enrichment {not spiritually so much, but socially} of being around different people of different ages and back rounds but still sharing a common passion...we can all be appreciative of the chances we have to learn from each other and grow as human beings from our mutual love of things like riding....

life can be short, enjoy, share, love, everychance we can :unsure:

Initial toxicology tests on blood drawn from Jakscht on the day of the crash show he had the illegal drug methamphetamine in his system, according to police. He could face an additional charge of impaired driving, police said.

In a sense, this helps a little to know that the driver was DUI. It restores belief in common people's motor skills and that people in their right mind do not go around running over motorcycles and other people.

Zee: Sorry, but I disagree.

People who are not on drugs and presumably in their "right mind" also kill motorcyclists while behind the wheel.

I have no faith in the day-to-day drivers NOT being intoxicated. ...or that I may be lucky not to encounter one.

Unfortunately, it (a life being taken) happens every day. I ride a M/C on the street every day and I see the potential every day.

Face it... Most motorists are distracted to some extent and I don't care if you ride, or drive, you're a potential victim.

RIP to the riders.

Police arrested truck driver Michael Jakscht, ...

It doesn't take too vivid an imagination to "see" the letters missing from this guy's last name. His surname might also begin with "Dumb" ...