KTMrad

Replying to Posts - Forum Etiquette

OK, time to post some forum etiquette on replying to a post. When you hit the "quote" and "reply" buttons, you will copy the entire post you are replying to. If the previous post is a page long and you're only replying to a sentence or 2, just highlight the part of the post within the qoutes, and delete the rest, so people know what you're actually replying to within the quotes.

Here is an example of the quote and reply buttons used the way they should be....you can see exactly what's being replied to.

Here is an example of what we don't want to see

If you're the first reply and your post is directly below what you're replying to, then you may not even have to use the quotes. This goes for photos also.

You can hit just the reply button, if you don't want to have anything in quotes.

We're just trying to keep the forums running smoothly, and also to use as little storage space on the FREE server that Uncle Cameron has supplied for our site. Everything I post regarding forum etiquette, rules, whatever.....is for your benefit and for the benefit of people & visitors reading the posts.

Thanks for reading this, let me know if any questions.

You can hit just the reply button, if you don't want to have anything in quotes.

Yes, yes, yes ... Thanks so much Rad for the help with this. I think that when anyone replies we really DO want others to know exactly what it is we're replying to.

Two more tips:

1) When you hit "Reply" below a post, the "Quote" button's default is on. You need to click the "Quote" button to change it from + to - if you do not wish to quote part of the previous post. Otherwise, use the "Add Reply" button at the very bottom of the page & no quote will be included.

2) When cutting out the part of the post you don't want quoted, sometime it's difficult to know if we left the proper starting and ending quote markers in the right place. Use the "Preview Post" option to view your post before submitting to ensure the quote is in the white box, rather that just starting and ending with the word "quote".

Brett

Thought I'd give this topic a bump.......would be nice if some people could review and learn how to reply with quotes, to make it easier for others to read their replies. :lol::ph34r:

Does anyone else find it slightly annoying when people reply to a post and the same photo and quotes are shown multiple times ??

Just for all your info, everytime someone replies to another post and quotes with the same photo and remarks from previous posts when all the photos and remarks are not always necessary, it uses valuable webspace.

So, please take the time to review how to reply to posts using the quotes properly.

Thanks for your time and cooperation :lol:

How do you reply (quote) to 2 different posts with one post of your own. I have not figured that one out yet.

How do you reply (quote) to 2 different posts with one post of your own. I have not figured that one out yet.

You can highlight whatever you want to respond to from any or multiple posts, then copy it to your post when you're typing it, then highlight it again, and hit the little button above your window where you're typing..........it says "wrap in quote tags", then you can do that multiple times and respond to each quote tag. This button is second from the right on the buttons above your window when you are typing a message.

Does that make sense ?

Actually, I just realized this is the best way to respond to just a small part of a large post without hitting the Reply button which will copy their entire post........

For example, I just want to respond to this statement "Does that make sense ?" from my previous post........so I highlight it and copy it here.........

Statement copied from previous post:

Does that make sense ?

Then I highlight that, and hit the button above that says "wrap in quote tags",

and this is what it should look like when done:

Does that make sense ?

Hope that clears it up......I think people will see it's a lot easier to read people's responses and looks a lot cleaner if they can try doing this the proper way......

Thanks,

You can highlight whatever you want to respond to from any or multiple posts, then copy it to your post when you're typing it, then highlight it again, and hit the little button above your window where you're typing..........it says "wrap in quote tags"

I think I may get it.

Did the thread that started this thread involve a wagon train and a luddite?

Sweet :ph34r:

Looks like I am going to be forced to learn a few new things.

Explanation helped.

Looks like I am going to be forced to learn a few new things.

Explanation helped.

Does anyone else find it slightly annoying when people reply to a post and the same photo and quotes are shown multiple times ??

Does that make sense ?

I'm betting this didn't work...

Explanation helped.

well at least it helped somebody... damn I'm stupid

Bumping this old thread on etiquette.

Also, when posting a write up to a ride that was originally posted in Upcoming Rides or Who's Going Riding...please post your report / write up in the appropriate ride reports section....not in the original thread about an Upcoming Ride and/or Who's Going Riding...please keep the ride report separate.

It's just a minor thing, but people wanting to read reports aren't necessarily going to go to a section about an upcoming ride, when that ride is now in the past.

Make sense ?

Bumping this again....Please read.

There is no reason to hit the "quote" button when replying to a post, unless you actually wsnt to quote something they said.

Too many people are quoting instead of just replying...when you quote and it copies an entire post, it just clogs up the forum.

Hope y'all get it.

Thanks.

16 hours ago, KTMrad said:

Hope y'all get it.

Hey that's pretty cool.  Thanks for learning' me sompthin new.