Strega

What do you carry when you ride?!?

I was asked recently on 2 occasions what I carry with me when I ride. People see the Desert Gestapo look and usually start laughing, which is quite alright. I put together an incomplete list at the time, and I've been working on my website a lot lately and came up with a decent list. I'm sure I missed a few things, but here it is, in all it's miserable glory:

There are a few items that I remove when doing LOCAL riding, but for Dual Sport events or multi day riding, this is what I have:

I just did this for my own site after a buddy requested I send him a list of what I carried. It's on my site HERE.

(Pics)

FRONT / BACK / Worn

Ogio Flight Vest Contents:

Back Center: (Middle)

• 100oz Camel Back Resevoir - 100 US fluid ounces = 0.78125 US gallons = 6.24 lbs.
  • 2' Heavy Duty Zip Ties (x8)

Back Center: (Bottom)

• 30 ft Tow Strap

Back Left:

• Radio (Yaesu VX-170 2M HAM Radio)
  • Radio Backup Power Pack
  • Motion Pro Tire Wrenches
  • Tire Spoon
  • Tire guage
  • Magnet Wand
  • 2 glow sticks
  • 6 AA Batteries

Back Right:

• Zip Tie bundle
  • 4 soft straps
  • Metal Zip Ties
  • 33oz MSR Fuel Bottle (If needed)
  • Space Blanket
  • Flare
  • Waterproof Matches
  • Signal Mirror
  • Extra Water (If not carry'n fuel bottle)

Front Top Right:

• Tweasers
  • Chap Stick
  • Goggle Cleaner Packets
  • Ear Plugs
  • Advil / Vicoden / Percoset
  • Lighter
  • Magnetic Drain Plug

Front Middle Right:

• Camera

Front Bottom Right: (Inside)

• Food (Beef Jerky, Cliff Bars, Craisins)

Front Bottom Right: (Outside Vertical Pockets)

• Knife
  • Multi Tool
  • Sice Cutters
  • Cork Screw (Don't ask)

Front Bottom Left:

• First Aid Kit

Misc:

• 4 black Carabiners
  • Whistle
  • Thermometer (Tiny lil thing on a zipper tab)

On the Bike

Front Fender Bag:

• Light Duty 21" tube and patch kit

Number Plate Bag:

• Light Duty 21" and 18" tubes

Tail Bag:

• JB Weld
  • Motion Pro T Handles (8,10,12mm)
  • Spare Bolts (Tighten up all your bolts before EVERY ride)
  • Windex / Baby Powder
  • 3' Fuel Line
  • Allen Wrench set (1 big one for bars)
  • Hose Clamps
  • Duct Tape
  • Electrical Tape
  • Super Glue
  • Needle Nose Pliers
  • Pliers
  • Vice Grips
  • Spare Goggle Lens
  • Rag
  • 1/2 qt Oil
  • Valve Stem Puller
  • Spare Valve Stem
  • CO2 Cannisters (x6)
  • CO2 Pump
  • Bead Buddy

Other:

• Phone
  • Wallet
  • Cash
  • Credit Card
  • AAA Membership

Looking to get:

• Spot Tracker

I'm afraid to weigh it all...

Which explains why I only carry this when I ride with Strega.......he has the rest.....

visa.jpg

You're the last person in the world I thought wouldn't know this comes in STEALTH :party:

I took a sharpie to mine...and got mine for $70, I didn't wanna pay another $50 for all black...

Very well equipped

A question, what's a magnet wand?

You might want to add toliet paper for comfort (I've used my shop rag, not good) :party:

REI has a 12-hour hand heat warmer. Works good. I've used it several times, especially if your gloves get wet.

Also REI has a whistle, signal mirror, compass & match holder combo that I carry in my pack. It's quite durable, compact and keeps the matches dry. It also comes with a 2-3 foot polypropylene lanyard/rope.

Happy trails, Steve...

It's a telescoping magnet. It looks like a thick pen, extends about 2.5 feet, and great for finding dropped metal in the sand/dirt. Came in VERY handy one time.

Hand Warmers are a GREAT idea.

Do you wear all that when you're just doing a 6 hour day ride? Or is this only for Desert Dash, Primm Ect.

I carry a tool pouch, camel back with tire tools, water (obviously), energy bars, spare jacket/gloves/socks (depends on what I'm riding), On me I carry pocket knife, lighter, ipod and a cell phone. I should probably carry more...Opinions?

Only if you want to be independent. Personally, I'm big on first aid stuff. When I consider what's more important to repair, my (or my buddy's) bike or body, I think body first.

But it's unlikely you'll need it.

Riiight.

Never a Boy Scout?

Haha, No. I didn't feel like getting beat up at school :party:

Yeah, I should add some first aid stuff. I would carry some more tools, but I wouldn't know how to use them if I did. My tool set has saved me several times though!

Dang Roger I thought I carried a lot but you make me look unprepared. Thanks for the list I will be using it as a guide to add to mine.

I admit it...my first aid kit is THE SAME as:

My tool kit...tire irons and duct tape- splint

Superglue- stitches

Lighter/magnesium bar- cauterizing

More duct tape- for whatever

Baby wipes- monkey butt prevention, clean wounds, use as bandaging (along with aforementioned duct tape)

Aside from that: ride with fake name and strega as often as they've have me

Note to self, DO NOT let bob apply first aid to open wounds. Cauterizing with Magnesium? No thank you.

Dang Roger I thought I carried a lot but you make me look unprepared. Thanks for the list I will be using it as a guide to add to mine.

The first time I saw him wearing his Ogio Vest I thought he might be a suicide bomber! :party:

What's a wrest?

And you don't do "dual sport" rides. You can't really get out in the middle of no where on a KTM race bike with a 5mpg tank :party: So you probably carry more than enough. Maybe a tow rope.

What's a wrest?

And you don't do "dual sport" rides. You can't really get out in the middle of no where on a KTM race bike with a 5mpg tank :party: So you probably carry more than enough. Maybe a tow rope.

If you are broken down 15 miles away from camp in an area without much traffic, it's the middle of nowhere. Trust me.

True. Lucky for him he stays on the main roads usually. Unless he's following me. Then we get a whole new definition of lost. You know, that point right after "Where the **** are we?", and right before, "Is this mexico?".

Eddie- hat's the point of his post...through years of riding, and hanging out with other riders, and reading forum posts, Strega has decided on what he should carry. Its great to ride with others, and hope they have what you need, but you should try to be sele-sufficient

I actually carry quite a bit with me (ask Rex) in my O'gio vest, and a lot of it is from trial and error...you should read the list and start adding to your pack

Its just a matter of time before you will need some of the tools Roger listed. Next time we ride, I'll let you carry my vest...its no picnic (actually, it kind of is...food and drinks) but it could save your life. Not trying to get too dramatic, but its true. A 5 mile hike, in riding gear, is pretty brutal... Search Evan Tanner

A couple links of chain and a couple of master links. Chain tool. Led Miners headlight.

Yup. I carry most of what Strega does plus a master link for my chain and a sparkplug.

A couple links of chain and a couple of master links. Chain tool. Led Miners headlight.

How much is this? I've been looking for a source of light to use on my YZ426 and on my MTBs for when I get a little too lost after dark...

How much is this? I've been looking for a source of light to use on my YZ426 and on my MTBs for when I get a little too lost after dark...

I got mine at REI for less than $40. I got it 2 years ago and the original batteries are just strating to fade. :lol: One of the most awesome camping/everything pieces of equipment I've ever bought. I use it to BBQ at night, for reading when my wife wants to sleep (it has three brightness levels and flashes SOS) and for extra light when I've been out too late on the bike.

It's like THIS one, but doesn't have the red light option.