KTMrad

Future Work on New Single Track Trail at Corral Canyon

Any of you who attended the volunteer work day at Corral Canyon on Saturday, January 9th, 2010.......you are all eligible to continue working on the trail without supervision.

You all know what's going on now. So, if you want to go work on the trail, we just need to let Richard Tull know in advance. We also must get all the volunteer contact forms/service agreements filled out and to Richard, if you did not fill one out on Saturday (they ran out). I wil try to get the forms e-mailed to me from Richard.

So if you did work on the trail on Saturday, you can be considered a "Team Leader" and can take others out with you to work on it. Suggestion is also to start riding the trail, this will "blaze it in" or whatever you want to call it. Only people who work on it should be riding it before it is completed.

Please DO NOT advertise this trail to others, do not give out the location, until we have completed the trail and have put in the necessary water bars, etc. or whatever the Forest Service may require.

Please do not tell other riders at Corral about the trail until we have it blessed by the Forest Service. If people find out about it and start riding it, then they will wander off and make their own path.

Thanks for your cooperation, help and involvement in this important project !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm also adding this here, so nobody misses this important info.........

Brought to our attention Richard Tull and Joliet posted this...........PLEASE don't ride across the moss, and direct the trail away from these moss areas.

Richard told us to avoid the moss areas. He said that even though it just looks like dried up dead moss or lichen, it is actually just dormant, waiting for moisture to bring it back. It is still living and some of it is thousands of years old. He even wants to put an information placard on the trail telling about it.

So when laying out the trails try to avoid as much of it as possible, and please be vigilant walking and riding up there before the trail is established so as not to disturb much of it.

Thanks Randy,

Wish I could have gone out there but had family plans this weekend.

I'd like to hook up with one of the folks who did make it, and help out in the future.

Racerbill and I are going up there tomorrow to try and get the brush trimmed back to a point where we can start riding it. That is really the only thing that needs to be done right now. It is an offroad motorcycle trail so other than trimming the brush back to the width of a motorcycle that is all we need to start with. Trail riding means following the natural contour of the terrain and existing obstacles presented (rocks & roots, etc.) It should already be routed properly to take advantage of the natural terrain. We may need to do a little work on some of the drainage crossings but will need to monitor them after it rains to see the extent of what is needed. Shouldn't be too much since we are just crossing them. Hill sections will also need help to route the water off during heavy rains but we can do that as needed too.

Alan, I agree with what you said, but one section comes to mind, that may need some work.....you know roughly where we turned around, the hillside is slippery and off-camber....don't know if we'll have to do some work there, or just riding it will take care of itself. I do think we need more ribbon on the trail, it's hard to follow even after riding it a couple times. When you guys go out, perhaps take some ribbon with you ?

I don't know what the other side of the trail is like, where it crosses trail 11 and goes down Bronco Peak, that's not completely ribboned yet. We'll see how much work that section needs after they ribbon it.

When you guys go out, perhaps take some ribbon with you ?

I don't know what the other side of the trail is like, where it crosses trail 11 and goes down Bronco Peak, that's not completely ribboned yet. We'll see how much work that section needs after they ribbon it.

Yes, I will take some ribbon and add as needed. The trail does not cross 11 but ties into it and needs lots of trimming on that end. It goes into the unburned area and has very thick brush. Also there are a lot of rocks in the trail through there but I think we should leave them. I'll have a better idea tomorrow and can report on it at the meeting if you want.

Yes, I will take some ribbon and add as needed. The trail does not cross 11 but ties into it and needs lots of trimming on that end. It goes into the unburned area and has very thick brush. Also there are a lot of rocks in the trail through there but I think we should leave them. I'll have a better idea tomorrow and can report on it at the meeting if you want.

Sounds good.

Not really going to be a "crew" there but we are meeting at 4 corners at 8am and riding into the trail on motorcycles from the end we started on Saturday. We plan to ride through and cut brush as needed to open it up.

I could not make it at the weekend due to work but was planning to get up to 4 corners by about 10am tuesday unless anything comes up by morning, so if there is anything I can help with let me know, will be on 530 KTM pottering around if you see me flag me down.

Dai