Beezzz

Dirt Bike Tire Changing

Bridgestone Tire Representative

Doug Schopinsky

LInk: #1

Link: #2

Link: #3

The Bead Buddy is a gem.

I liked the Bead Buddy. I usually use a third tire iron, but that little gem is a lot less awkward to use. I think I'll get me one. :lol:

I liked the Bead Buddy. I usually use a third tire iron, but that little gem is a lot less awkward to use. I think I'll get me one. :blink:

The "little gem" is one of the few new tools I have adopted. I found that two works even better than one on a real stiff rear tire. They keep the bead down in the groove with little hassle.

I used to fight my tires, then I saw those videos and it was a piece of cake. The bead buddy really helped. Now I have only changed smaller tires so far, like 100/100-18 and 80/100-21 on the vintage bikes in the drive way. I cheated and use the tire machine on the new tires for the KTM. I have yet ridden long enough offroad DS type rides to have the great experience of a flat on the trail, Oh I can hardly wait for that.

I generally don't get flats, but if I did, I would want a bead buddy.

New tires are a pain to install the first time and it would help in the garage

My "trail" bead buddy goes like this..."Hey, buddy! Get me a beer and hold this bead"

I generally don't get flats, but if I did, I would want a bead buddy.

:blink::oB):) :) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back to reality.

My bead buddy is actually kind of heavy and bulky to carry in my bike took kit. I use it in the shop because I am usually doing tires by myself. But out on the trail there is always someone there to hold the 3rd iron for you.

My bead buddy is actually kind of heavy and bulky to carry in my bike took kit. I use it in the shop because I am usually doing tires by myself. But out on the trail there is always someone there to hold the 3rd iron for you.

I saw a trail version on Rocky Mountain MC's website. :blink:

I watched these videos again today. Good refresher before tackling a tire swap.

Two new Dunlops on the beastie. In a few more days it'll be ready to ride.

I watched these video again today. Good refresher before tackling a tire swap.

Two new Dunlops on the beastie. In a few more days it'll be ready to ride.

Hi Jon

I put a couple of D606's on a few weeks ago up in Page and used two of the bead buddies on the rear. I usually used two "C" clamps on the rear to keep a stiff oposite bead down in the groove (like back in the Tereflex dirt bike days) but using two bead buddies on the D606's seemed to work pretty well also.

Don

The best advice on these videos, "if what your doing is difficult, you're doing something wrong".

Don, The bead buddy is a true friend.

Th irony of the thread starter and his recent endeavours with tire changing :angry::)

The best advice on these videos, "if what your doing is difficult, you're doing something wrong".

and plenty of lube

and plenty of lube

+1

so i fought with getting my old tires off for like 30 min and remembered this post and watched the videos and had the tires off and new 606's on in like 45 min, and no punctured tubes,thanks for the post!!!

I've seen both those videos before, and dont struggle too bad changing tires actually, (I'm down to 1 beer and a light sweat) but I think those guys are putting 19" tires on 18" rims,,, or something,,, because I've never had a tire fall on the rim like that!

haha... I consider myself pretty good at changing tires, and it is NEVER as easy as they make it look!

to me; the big thing is: lube...warm rubber... WAIT... this isn't coming out right; start over

Let the tire warm up first; in a garage, a heated car, or the sun

use lots of windex or soapy water

get the opposite bead DOWN in the notch in the rim, and KEEP it there; it tries to lift out

SMALL sections of tire at a time; don't get all ham-fisted and grab a big chunk; you'll end up pinching a tube, and have to start all over; keep reaching in, and making sure the tube is not in your way

I swap out the Scorp's and TKC's regularly, and haven't paid for a tire change and balance for a while. The new rear's on the 990 (150/70 18) are a bit tight when they are new, but I use a little diluted dish soap and water to moisten the beads, a bit of baby powder, and the K&L rim protectors on black rims so they stay oh so pretty. After awhile, you won't need the tire stand (although it is nice), and you can remove tires, true-up rims, remount, and balance, in just a couple of beers. I also have three sets of tire irons, two in the shop, and one for the road (motion pro w/ axel nut wrenches on the end), good spoons are a must.

We used the first three videos to change tires this weekend, it was very helpful. I wish I had seen the second series and how easy it was to get the rim off. They make it look so easy.

I used to be quite good at changing tires 20 yrs ago, doing front and rear in 10 minute work period was routinely practised so could be done in race conditions, and that was without any tire stands which did not exist then. The dunlop videos are much better way but I also agree that if you find it difficult you are doing it wrong. Heat in tire is good tip, if possible I normally remove tires after warming bike up on short ride to drop oil then while that is draining pop the tires off, much easier. You should not need lube or bead buddy, if you do technique is wrong, lube is most useful to enable bead to come out with less pressure but after a few miles bead should be out anyway.

For those of you have tried different bikes most european bikes tend to be set up for easier tire changing. Really I hear you say, how? Well KTM and most other European bikes have rim lock next to valve and this makes it much easier as bead on opposite side can be pulled much deeper into well as you work around so less leverage needed, I used to drill jap bike rims we raced same way to make it easier. Down side is wheel balance is worse but off road is really non issue.

Now I only race with mousse inserts and with these you need lube, a good stand and bead buddy and again a warm tire is big help but using same basic dunlop procedure 2 tires can be done in 10 minutes but I need more practise to be consistent, and bigger/more tire irons. The good thing with mousses you have no valves to mess around with and no need for front rim lock. New mousses and tires can be tight and difficult to get on for sure especially on front and too much lube can hurt as tire can pop back off too easy. Now when I get to change a tire with a tube I cant believe how easy it is compared to a mousse, just technique and practise.

I'd like to see him unmount a tire from a rim with a safety bead that fast. Stupid safety bead make me have to go to the store three times (grumble grumble grumble :angry: ).

What are you guys using for trail lube, in a small tool pack?

The trail is usually slippery enough without lubing it. :coolio: