Tcornett

Some Signals Never Turn Green

Maybe it's just me, but it seems my KLR650 doesnt trigger a lot of the traffic signals... I get pissed off after a few cycles and then generally skip the turn and find a different route. Looking for a fix to the problem I ran across this so called "Green Light Trigger"... anybody ever use one or know if it will even work??

http://www.greenlightstuff.com/trigger.html

I saw where some states allow you to go ahead and turn against the red light, but I dont think California is one of those....

Haven't used one but there's a thread in here somewhere about this topic. I think the general consesus was to use your judgement, be safe & 'splain it to the cop if you get pulled over. Most had okay experiences during the encounter.

If I find the thread, I'll link it.

It happens to me too. After a couple of cycles of not tripping the light, I generally make the turn anyway if there isn't any traffic. We had another thread going on this somewhere a while back. Somebody mentioned slapping a big magnet under the motor or something like that. This is the first time I've seen the product you linked your thread too. Sounds good and not too expensive anyway.

Call the city (or Caltrans if it's their signal). I've had good luck on a couple occasions. The light is malfunctioning and needs to be fixed. It's not your problem - why spend your money on solving it.

I reported metering lights in my town that don't trip to my bike. I filled out an online form on the Caltrans website and received a response within a week on both occasions. My bike trips the lights every time now.

If I know I am coming up on a light with no cars in front or back of me to trigger, I will stop relatively hard to "press" on that strip that I guess is the sensor. It usually works. I often tell other riders not to buy any of the products that say it will trigger for you. In the case of a magnet, your motorcycle already has a hefty magnet (or 2) in the charging/starting system. If I do get stuck, I wait until it is safe to proceed. Ride safe!

Maybe it's just me, but it seems my KLR650 doesnt trigger a lot of the traffic signals... I get pissed off after a few cycles and then generally skip the turn and find a different route. Looking for a fix to the problem I ran across this so called "Green Light Trigger"... anybody ever use one or know if it will even work??

http://www.greenlightstuff.com/trigger.html

I saw where some states allow you to go ahead and turn against the red light, but I dont think California is one of those....

Use your kickstand on the sensor in the road bed. If that does not work, proceed safely as if the interesction is not functioning correctly (which it isn't, because you cant trigger the light) and then report it to the proper authority.

Spyder

This is what I do as well. I've talked to our city's street traffic like person numerous times. He said just leave a message with and name the intersection, direction of travel, and lane you were in when the light did not trigger and he'll adjust the sensitivity, or send a crew out to correct the light. A couple of years ago I had to run every light around my office, but now both myself and the other riders trigger the lights on our bikes.

He also mentioned that the number one people that notify him of malfunctioning lights are motorcycle officers. :rolleyes:

Call the city (or Caltrans if it's their signal). I've had good luck on a couple occasions. The light is malfunctioning and needs to be fixed. It's not your problem - why spend your money on solving it.

I reported metering lights in my town that don't trip to my bike. I filled out an online form on the Caltrans website and received a response within a week on both occasions. My bike trips the lights every time now.

This is what I do as well. I've talked to our city's street traffic like person numerous times. He said just leave a message with and name the intersection, direction of travel, and lane you were in when the light did not trigger and he'll adjust the sensitivity, or send a crew out to correct the light. A couple of years ago I had to run every light around my office, but now both myself and the other riders trigger the lights on our bikes.

He also mentioned that the number one people that notify him of malfunctioning lights are motorcycle officers. :lol:

I usually do it via email and save a copy. If I ever have to fight a ticket for running a light that doesn't trip, I plan on printing out the emails and any responses to show that I tried my best to solve the problem rather than just "run it because I'm impatient". So far, I've gotten responses and fixed lights out of all of them!!! Every time it's been an extremely polite and apologetic response too. I usually send a thank-you followup and let them know it's working. It only takes a few minutes if you can do it online in your city...

If more motorcyclists would report the bad ones, we wouldn't have to run as many!!! Come on guys - call the cities!!!

For CALTRANS, use this link: Caltrans :: Report a Problem

Thanks for all the replys and the link to report problems to caltrans. (Of course today I rode with absolutely no problems ..probably because I was ready to log and report any "malfunctioning" signals...) :lol: