If this is old news here please forgive me, I havent been on two wheels for awhile now.

With that said I am very active in the Corral Canyon development and maintence. Richard Tull is just about finished laying out the single track that runs the full length of the park. With that said he will be looking for help in cutting the trail as well as maintaining it. Being a single track trail I thought I would let you know that it is going to need an adopt a trail sign on it also, Thinking SDAR would a natural fit, and it would be cool? The trail will weave through the park and leading passed a group of rock out croppings for use by the trials guys... Kinda cool. There is talk about allowing Enduro races in the park again, as it was years back. Also Jan McGarvie has been working on a grant from Yamaha to build the Tot Lot motorcycle area in the park. It will be located just north of the lower camp ground between the access road and the camp ground. It will be a enclosed area with a large sun shade area for supervisors. It will make the camp grounds and roads much safer for the little guys not having to compete with cars for their riding areas.

We Have applications pending approval in Sacramento for a non profit org. Called Corral Canyon Conservancy DBA Friends of Corral Canyon. We hope to have everything up and operational by the first of the year. At that time we can accept donations, funds and grants to purchase items directly for the park. By doing this donated dollars intended for Corral Canyon will not have to go to Washington D.C. never to be seen again. Funds can be used to purchase anything from toilets to signs to asphlt, then donated directly to the park where it will stay and be used. We will be setting up a web site to show exactly how much monies are raised and where it goes. We will basically post up the bank statement monthly to insure total transparency. Anyway, as a non active SDAR member this club still means a great deal to me. Thanks Randy and all the SDAR members for being so active in preserving OUR riding areas. I wanted to bring everyone here up to speed on the latest at our park. There are allot more changes in the works, if interested let me know and I can spue more verbage. Thanks, :scratch_one-s_head: M.T.

UPDATE:

I revieved this Email from Jan McGarvie today... I thought I would pass this on Randy and SDAR to chew on especially this being a bike forum and all... The Young Rider Training Area is for the use for young motorcycle riders instruction and practice. Richard is also in the process of building a closed loop for the big boys to warm up on... We dont want to call it a track, but you get the drift...

Folks,

We need to schedule a work day for the new Young Rider Training Area at Corral Canyon. The following dates are possibilities:

Sunday Sept. 20

Sunday Sept. 27

Saturday Oct. 17

Sunday Oct. 18

We will work from 8 am to noon. A picnic lunch will be provided. As usual, you can bring your toys and play in the afternoon if you like.

Scheduled work includes:

Removing existing old fence that dissects the open area.

Weed clearing where the new fence will be located.

Put in fence posts (time permitting).

We suggest wearing long pants and sturdy shoes. Bring gloves and eye protection. If you prefer using your own weed trimmer you can bring it. Richard says they have 4 or 5 that we can use.

Please let me know which date you or your group prefers. The date with the most responses will be announced soon so you can mark your calendars.

Contact Jan McGarvie at 619.561.3877 or Jan@McGarvie.us.

All great news and the first I'm hearing of it. Thanks for your efforts. I'd be willing to help with the cutting and maintaining when it comes time.

Even though I have yet to ride all the trails there I'm looking forward to a new one.

:scratch_one-s_head:

Thanks for the information. :blink: I'm glad that there will be a new trail at CC, especially in these times of closing everything down. When will the work began? It's awfully hot right now, but I might be up to volunteer some time this Fall when it cools down a little bit. :scratch_one-s_head:

I'd be willing to help with the cutting and maintaining when it comes time.

Even though I have yet to ride all the trails there I'm looking forward to a new one.

Well said and +1

When will the work began? It's awfully hot right now, but I might be up to volunteer some time this Fall when it cools down a little bit. :blink:

Work will begin in September and Richard is hoping to have it complete late October, Heat permitting. I suppose it has to do with is how much help he gets from all of usl? :scratch_one-s_head: SCUFF will be helping out on the Tot Lot and cutting a new extreme 4x4 loop that will be adopted by the TDS jeep group when its complete.

Thanks for the update, even though I don't get down that way to ride much, I usually make it down for our trail maintenance days. I would be willing to help out with a new project also.

I do have one question, when you say single track, is that a trail wide enough for quads?

I don't suppose anyone has a map of the proposed trail that could be posted?

I look forward to the updates on this.

Let me know what needs done, a donation for a sign, or just some brush cutting and boulder moving, I am in!

Thanks, Ken

Meeting notes from the Cleveland National Forest Meeting 2 weeks ago, were posted in the Members Only Forum.

Please check out the notes from Jan McGarvie of SDORC. I try to make these meetings when I can, just haven't been able to in awhile.

SDAR would like to get involved with the new trail and also the Friends of Corral Canyon group.

I do have one question, when you say single track, is that a trail wide enough for quads?

Hey Ken, the single track im sure will start out being motorcycle width, They tend to grow in width quickly though. I think it will be for quads as well... anything larger and it will be off limits. No rhinos, Suzuki Sami's, or jeep sized rigs.

The trail is just about 90% laid out and flagged. No maps yet. Even though new maps should be posted on the four corners parking area soon, They may not show the new trails yet. Along those Lines a restroom for the four corners area is on hold due to Handicap issues... We need to install a hard surface parking area etc.

Thanks Randy... Im sorry I didnt see Jan's notes posted :scratch_one-s_head:

No Worries, Bob........just letting everyone know they can check out the notes also in the MO Forum.

Thanks for posting this here to let everyone know what's going on.

Hey Ken, the single track im sure will start out being motorcycle width, They tend to grow in width quickly though. I think it will be for quads as well... any thing larger and it will be off limits. No rhinos, Suzuki Sami's, or jeep sized rigs.

The trail is just about 90% laid out and flagged. No maps yet. Even though new maps should be posted on the four corners parking area soon, They may not show the new trails yet. Along those Lines a restroom for the four corners area is on hold due to Handicap issues... We need to install a hard surface parking area ect.

Hey, Twister, Thanks for the update. I saw a SCUFF camp at Corral on Saturday when we did our night ride. As far as the definition of single track trail that means motorcycle ONLY (NO quads) so I'm not sure how that will be handled. I'll come out and help with the trail cutting when it gets down to it.

I would like to suggest to Richard Tull and the National Forest that they make this trail a MOTORCYCLE ONLY trail, since there are no motorcycle only (at least I don't think there are) at Corral. It's time for one to be single track and remain single track.

I would like to suggest to Richard Tull and the National Forest that they make this trail a MOTORCYCLE ONLY trail, since there are no motorcycle only (at least I don't think there are) at Corral. It's time for one to be single track and remain single track.

Trail 4 is single track and the phantom trail from Four Corners to Bobcat is single track. But hey, I'm with you Randy, I think this new one should be single track only also.

Yeah we had our SCUFF meet and greet out at C.C. on Sunday. If you guys ever get in a bind with the bikes in the out back, dont hesitate to flag us down. We are cheaper than helicopters and we will be more than happy to give a hand.

I quite honestly dont know how you could enforce a motorcycle trail only? Once it gets widened by one quad its game over. Maybe make sure the only way to and from the trail has some natural obstacles that a quad just cant get through. Then reinforce it with some narrow steel pipes for width restrictions?

I'm in for maintenance. It'd be nice to be involved with creating a new trail. What a novelty, haven't heard of that lately.

I quite honestly dont know how you could enforce a motorcycle trail only? Once it gets widened by one quad its game over. Maybe make sure the only way to and from the trail has some natural obstacles that a quad just cant get through. Then reinforce it with some narrow steel pipes for width restrictions?

Make the trail traversing a steep hillside, squeeze through natural boulder barriers, between trees etc. :scratch_one-s_head:

...squeeze through natural boulder barriers, between trees etc. :blink:

Trail 4 is single track and the phantom trail from Four Corners to Bobcat is single track. But hey, I'm with you Randy, I think this new one should be single track only also.

According to THIS MAP, Trail 4 is OHV, but I agree - it's true singletrack. Trail 9 is also singletrack - I don't see quads going down that one anytime soon (rocks, sidehills, etc). Trail 7 is also singletrack - It's far too narrow and has some pretty tight turns for a quad.

Wasn't Kernan North (from the paved road up to the dirt road) singletrack at one time? I know it's the freaking I-8 freeway now after the "trail maintenance" that was performed on it...

Count me in on the maintenance days!!!

Thanks for the info MT!!!

Finally some good news :scratch_one-s_head:

The way budgets, Grants, and donations are being cut the only good news we will be hearing for a while is news that we make! Stay involved and active in anything that promotes the saving our lands for our use. Even, and especially temporary closures... they have away of staying closed forever. Ie. Coyote Canyon. Devils Canyon, and so on. SDAR adopt a trail program is a huge deal... Stay involved and volunteer.

Wasn't Kernan North (from the paved road up to the dirt road) singletrack at one time? I know it's the freaking I-8 freeway now after the "trail maintenance" that was performed on it...

I remember it as being fairly wide, but a lot less worn and more rocky back in the 80s. It also used to follow a slightly different route and came out on Long Valley Loop road further to the west. I think that the land was re-surveyed and the trail was found to be on private property (Corte Madera ranch?). In those days, you just didn't see too many quads out in that area.

They have other trails, designating vehicles 40 inches wide or less, some dissuading horses from access, and some places have singletrack (one set of wheels) designations

Bob- if I could make one other suggestion (and I did last time I saw Rich out there) was to make some one-way trails...

I also agree with Mimi, IF they are open to a bike only trail; let nature keep the bigger vehicles out...that being said...non balancers still have the same OHV frustrations we do....fewer trails, a surplus of cash, and no place to ride