I had an epic first day back here on Long -* Island (Bong Island as it was nicknamed years ago).

First, I saw some friends that I hadn't seen in 12 years (last time I was here), then I went to my friend Pat's and he had his brother's KTM 525 waiting for me to ride. He took me on his local dirt loops, which were powerlines and single track through the woods. He is the guy who came out with 5 of his friends from NY for our Desert Dash dualsport ride this past February out in the desert.

The forecast was heavy rain for the evening (Long Island's been having abnormal amounts of rain since April). It rained on and off for most of the day but not too bad, then when we were heading back, it started pouring. We didn't care, we were havin' a blast and were already wet from the mud puddles. Terrain and traction conditions were.....let's just say "excellent" !!

Here, we're gettin' ready to leave his house.

572521985_ztTBM-L.jpg

One of the powerline trails...

570780295_W9SNL-L.jpg

My friend on his KTM.......

570780236_fxXSB-L.jpg

570780122_cBaz9-L.jpg

Some singletrack trails through the trees............

570780062_9ufQQ-L.jpg

570780091_CYZKn-L.jpg

Yours Truly.......

570780163_TUX6b-L.jpg

570780266_dKyGo-L.jpg

570780317_2VUZs-L.jpg

570780529_Zfi4n-L.jpg

570780575_EKE57-L.jpg

570780603_PhDSb-L.jpg

570780452_FSMA2-L.jpg

570780474_gvJNG-L.jpg

570780506_Kh3cN-L.jpg

The helmet cam man...........

570780421_kvbGb-L.jpg

All wet, back at the house........

570780621_2esqP-L.jpg

570780657_AdmTb-L.jpg

After the ride, he and his wife invited me to stay for dinner. I hadn't seen his wife since I went to their wedding in Vegas 9 years ago. I also met they're kids for the first time......future dirt riders in the making ! ;)

We rode about 40 miles (mainly dirt) in 4 hours. What a great ride, I haven't done tight single track like that in a long time. Sometimes I was bouncing the front tire off the trees in the corners and in many places our barkbusters were bouncing off the trees as we passed between them.......great fun !!

Got back to my father's house after midnight, feeling some soreness from maneuvering the bike between the trees on the miles of awesome singletrack !

I have many videos to post since Patrick was running a helmet cam...........stay tuned.

Sure....rub it in. You get to do really great riding in cool, wet terrain while we're stuck here in our crumbly, dusty stuff. :lol::lol: Good stuff, great pics! ;)

Bong Island Trail Riding......click on links.....

- Patrick the Wheelie Monster.....

More to come...................

More..........

Stay tuned........got some more single track videos.........

I have about 8 more videos to post, a lot of singletrack trails.......must download the to YouTube tonight.

Thx Randy! Reminds me of some of the areas I rode growing up. Ton o' fun :)

Randy where is this???? I am from bong island and i am just curious what part of town you ridin in????? mighty green back there i must say.

Randy where is this???? I am from bong island and i am just curious what part of town you ridin in????? mighty green back there i must say.

I'll send you a PM with locations.......double secret trails.

The Island has had so much rain lately, this June they've had over 7.5 inches already, and it's the second most rainy June in recorded history here.

The Island has had so much rain lately, this June they've had over 7.5 inches already, and it's the second most rainy June in recorded history here.

That's more rain than we get here in a year, usually. :)

When I think of Long -$ Island, dirt riding isn't the first thing that pops into my mind.

All I can say is there are lots of trails out there cut by dirt riders in the 70's and 80's......and that's all I can say :):o

Here's a pic from one of the singletrack trail tipovers............OOPS ! :)

Front tire hit a wet root and sent me down.

post-2-1245727758_thumb.jpg

Motocross is still alive on LI with 1 track.

It's located in the town of Yaphank

http://www.islandmotocross.com/

There's also an Long Island Off-Road vehicle association. You might want to read the struggles LI has faced regarding off-road use. The battle was lost.

http://www.liorv.org/

Prior to 1993 the LI Pine Barrens was open to legal riding. Then the NY State's Long Island Pine Barrens Protection Act defined the region (100,000+ acres) and it was lost. It's now a protected wilderness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Island_C...al_Pine_Barrens

The same is happening to California.

Here's some more Singletrack Trail videos from Bong Island............the longer videos are usually better.........

- 2 minutes 42 seconds

- 56 seconds

- 3 minutes 32 seconds

- 56 seconds

- 56 seconds

- 3 minutes 50 seconds

- 31 seconds

Very nice post, old stomping ground memories from a Huntington LI, kid . who rode single track "all over" Eastern LI in the mid eighties on an '84 KDX200,,,,,where???

"if we told ya we'd have ta kill ya." R

Awesome videos - felt like I was there or in Return of the Jedi waiting for an Ewok to pop up. Sup w/ the camera guy dodging the water? Always refreshing to see the "green" the rest of the country has to offer.

Very nice post, old stomping ground memories from a Huntington LI, kid . who rode single track "all over" Eastern LI in the mid eighties on an '84 KDX200,,,,,where???

"if we told ya we'd have ta kill ya." R

Same here mid-eighties LI rider.

Southhampton, Manorhaven, Pilgrim State Hospital, Kings Park Hospital, Commack road, many local sand pits off of the LIE or Sunrise Highway and many winery areas on the north fork.

Bikes:

Honda XL250, '74

Yamaha IT175, I think it was an '81

Yamaha TT600, '82

Husqvarna MX430, Maybe an '86(Was special in that it was the last pure-Swedish built bikes before being sold to Cagiva)

Husqvarna WR250, '92

Does any one know if Thomston Dam in Connecticut or the NJ Pine Barrens are still open?

Randy, thanks for sharing. It must have been strange to ride on wet dirt and not have it sticking to your tires!

Pat's camera work was great. He sure had it pointed properly. I'll be surprised if it lasts a year riding through the trees, though. Maybe he should mount a clear plastic shield in front of it.

Steve

Totally cool!! Thanks for sharing Randy. You bud's got the wheelie touch, eh?

Totally cool!! Thanks for sharing Randy. You bud's got the wheelie touch, eh?

Yeah, he got some great footage.........he's been riding with the cam mounted on the helmet for awhile now, he's aware of it sticking off the side of his head, so he ducks whenever there are branches, trees, etc.

YAH, he's got the wheelie touch bigtime ! :rolleyes: