I'll let others fill in the details, but it was a fun, solid ride without major injuries and minor bike damage. Here's two images:

pinnacleshill.jpg

sluttire.jpg

Is that another DRZ flat? :lol:

Thanks to Digdug and Micky for leading us on some great trails today. A lot of fun and good practice for anyone doing the Big Bear DuelSport ride this Summer. The hard sections suck but the rest of the trails make all the work worth it.

It was good riding with you all and a special thanks to Schwinn for bringing out the Brown Bag Sandwhiches and Brownies.

Wayne

I guess it was a COMPLETE FLUKE that Slutto didn't get a flat when we rode a few weeks ago ;):lol::lol::lol:

Wish I could've joined you guys.......I'm sure it was a blast.....

bikeslut with another flat what a shock

I was railing along this trail, and there was this ONE rock right in the middle of the trail, that I centerpunched and got a snakebite... Or it might've been one of the other million rocks (white mountain?)

I rode the rest of that trail with a flat, which sucked... But not as bad as devils hole... All in all, though a very good day... Except for shock; he can provide details

Nice to meet the new guys (don Johnson, S&Mdave and...?)

Thanks to dug and mickey for the tour, and to all the helpers through the water

All in all, though a very good day... Except for shock; he can provide details

wtf, you can't do that to us :lol: spill it...

All in all, though a very good day... Except for shock; he can provide details

wtf, you can't do that to us :lol: spill it...

he'll be along shortly... I will say he didn't get to the water crossing. Which was colder, deeper and slimier than last time.

Nice hill...is he coming down or going up?.......is that the one Just North of Devile Hole?....I've viewed but never riden that particular one....

Nice hill...is he coming down or going up?.......is that the one Just North of Devile Hole?....I've viewed but never riden that particular one....

That hill is the back side of Redondo Ridge. In the picture I was going up, and stalled it and am in the process of turning around so I can go back down.

Epic ride. About 1/4 mile in, my GPS flew off but I caught up with the rest of the group and rode fireroads, water crossings, and some really technical areas thrown in. Then the groups split in two. The hardway was Redonda Ridge Trail, which was not only very technical and rocky with tight switchbacks and steep climbs, but it was neverending (8 miles?). The most fun was trailing Schwinn and watching him wheely over boulders on his adventure bike. I got through it with some bulldogging, stalling, and tipping until the last uphill. The last hill wasn't super technical, but I don't think my mind was ready for another climb. On my third attempt, my bike flipped over and broke off my master cylinder and clutch. The ASV "unbreakable" clutch is still not broke though. Digdug rode it up that hill and I rode it back. Then I split off with the main group, but ended up taking trails back to the staging area. I was offroad all day and actually went through about six water crossings (one was big) on the way back. Pre-running is great because now I know what to expect. Mishaps and broken parts were the price to pay for pushing limits and learning new technical trails. I look forward to attacking that terrain again. Once you lose momentum, the trouble starts and you expend a lot of energy. Unless I knew the trails well, I would not tackle more than one Redonda Ridge Trail in one day. It was a good day overall. Temperatures were perfect (60s) and windy. Thanks for putting together a good ride and for the support along the way.

Click "HQ" for High Quality in bottom right of screen

DigDug Up Hill (11 seconds)

Stalled on Redonda Ridge Trail (31 seconds)

Redonda Hill (39 seconds)

Shock Up Redonda Hill (59 seconds)

Don Up Hill (33 seconds)

DigDug Up Hill (29 seconds)

Good report so far....more pics coming I'm sure. Thanks for the video Shock...sounded a little windy.....?

Makes me wish I didn't have a relaxing weekend in Palm Springs.... :lol:

Doug got some pics and video I think...

A couple other observations; smdave rode great all day... It stands for San Marcos not sumo.

Side by side Rhino type things SUCK!!! SIX people in one, no safety gear, with locked up wheels coming down steep switchbacks.

It was perfect weather, and a good mix of speeds. Mickey found a water crossing and must have gone through it 10 times; faster each time... Just plowing through, then nailing a huge wheelie coming out... Wish I had video; it was awesome

Yamaha is getting there ass sued off by ownersof the side by sides...

Yamaha is getting there ass sued off by ownersof the side by sides...

At the risk of hijack, yamaha is not to blame... You play in the dirt, you're gonna get hurt. A side by side is more dangerous than a dirt bike, but people are shocked the thing tipped over!!! Really?!?! I guess all the off road training they didn't do had something to do with it.. Or the fact that they can't judge trail conditions...

Back on topic; while struggling through devils hole, we were saying "we're crazy to spend money to do this to ourselves" would I even consider suing a bike manufacturer because they are unsafe??? No... Now if a bike blew up the first time I turned the key, I might consider litigation... But "it rolled over and my leg fell out and now its broken"... Welcome to the dirt; betcha don't ride that tough of a trail again

I sound callous, but I'm not... People need to evaluate their skill before trying anything adventurous, and adventure isn't safe...

Sorry we missed the fun, but Jr. was really spinnin' from the drive up and I couldn't go on without my riding partner. Next time I'll make him drive up...

The good news is that we were able to get a good part of our secondary mission accomplished. We looked at quite a few properties in Green Valley :) but discovered that the snowboarding lift had burned down last year and will not be re-built any time soon :(

Back on topic:

Slutto - can you post a post-ride pic of the MT43? I really like the way mine was grabbing (albiet a SHORT test), how did yours hold-up?

FILM OF DEVIL'S HOLE PLEASE!!!

This ride was posted as a Intermediate + level ride. People should pay attention to the post and level of riding that will be expected of each individual. I had a blast and my 690 did well, I thought the rocks would never stop :) . As a group I think 1 flat is pretty good. Mickey is a animal, I thought I was chasing him but never really caught him, when I got to redondo he was coming down it to do it again. I made it up and he came up behind me and then ran down the hill to help shock. Dig dugs kid entertained us all day with high speed water crossings and enthusiastic riding. Alot of really fast and skilled riders showed up. Thanks for showing me the way Dig dug and Mickey. Alot of fun.

mt43; the looser it was, the less I liked it... Realize, I do tend to get flats, so I run higher pressure than most... I had 20 in the front that I pinched!!

Wear on the tire was minimal, but we only rode about 50 miles, and it is a DOT tire so it should last a while...

Devils hole; nobody cleaned it, and maybe two people didn't have to dismount. Schwinn did pretty good; his talent and lack of seat height helped a lot...

That pic of Joliet on the back side of redonda was really loose and nasty; with the mt43, I was looking for rocks to ride on, even if the were off camber and ugly... But fake names terra-flex and rekluse combo wasn't doing much better... Don't get me wrong, we were all making progress , but weren't flying up it. Smdave was at the top, so we figgered everybody else would be along shortly... Um... Nope... A reminder to radio rides; check in once in a while... We had no idea shock was incapacitated, and we were all sitting around shootin' the sh!t while doug was up on redonda helping him out

That's a Motoz, not a terra. But yes, in that stuff, nothing's really going to hook up. It's a little like riding in water (did that too!) and trying to generate forward motion using a paddlewheel.

So true, when climbing stuff that loose and steep I would trade you 3 tractions for 1 momentum any day. Or 5 tractions for 1 momentum and any line other than the one I picked :( :( :) . Ken

steeeeep, nice shot. post more fotos so I can armchair the ride. will watch the vids later. thanks for the post. R

Sorry I'm late guys!!!

I still haven't downloaded the pictures yet (I don't think I got any video, but did get a few pictures), but just wanted to jump in and thank everyone for tagging along. We had a good group of guys and everyone had a great attitude!

Thanks to SCHWINN for lunch... That sammich hit the spot!

Good ride on an awesome day in the mountains!!!

Did I miss something.......did someone get hurt ?

That's a Motoz, not a terra. But yes, in that stuff, nothing's really going to hook up. It's a little like riding in water (did that too!) and trying to generate forward motion using a paddlewheel.

of course, you are right... I think Joliet has the terra-flex... And he dug in too. Momentum is definitely the trick, there... Once you hesitate, you're screwed... I hesitated when I saw Joliet on that hill, and it cost me

I hesitated in devils hole too... When that rock grabbed my frame and wouldn't let go... Stupid nature. Thanks for the spot Mickey!

Did I miss something.......did someone get hurt ?

Nope; bumps and bruises but no injuries to speak of... Shock trashed his clutch master on redonda, so he had a short day.