Sign in to follow this  
Moto Toad

Google Earth Upgrade

This might be old news, if so i guess i'm slow at more then just riding a Moto:)

You can now upgrade your Google Earth to version 5.0, which offers many of the features that previously were only available in GE Plus, which was a fee based program. If you already have GE, just upgrade via the Help Tool; real simple.

I don't know what version I have, but I can't get it to show the names of towns and cities are on the screen. :blink:

I don't know what version I have, but I can't get it to show the names of towns and cities are on the screen. :blink:

Make sure you are viewing Layers, this expands or collapses by clicking the "Layers" Text Heading on the left of the screen

Cities are displayed via the "Borders and Labels" layer

Check it and they'll show. They also show based on zoom level. If you're zoomed way out, you may only see major cities. As you zoom in, more city labels will appear.

I don't know what version I have, but I can't get it to show the names of towns and cities are on the screen. :)

Make sure you are viewing Layers, this expands or collapses by clicking the "Layers" Text Heading on the left of the screen

Cities are displayed via the "Borders and Labels" layer

Check it and they'll show. They also show based on zoom level. If you're zoomed way out, you may only see major cities. As you zoom in, more city labels will appear.

It is checked, but all I get are red dots, no text, no matter how close I zoom in. I find this odd because, before the upgrades, I got all the text and towns that there were. :blink:

Dame;

anytime i have challenges with software, if all else fails, simply uninstall the current version and install new. This process seems to solve many problems; not sure why.

Dame;

anytime i have challenges with software, if all else fails, simply uninstall the current version and install new. This process seems to solve many problems; not sure why.

Okay, I did that. Still just have dots and no text. I give up.....

Try this: in GE go to Tools | Options, click the "3D View" tab, change from "OpenGL" to "DirectX".

Provided you're using Windows XP, much of the configuration settings for a given application are stored in your user profile. So, uninstalling and reinstalling software won't fix your issue. The profile data isn't usually deleted when something gets uninstalled. When you reinstall, the fresh install pulls its configuration info from your existing profile and the problem follows you. Want to prove this? Create a new user account on your system, login as that user and launch GE. Voila! The problem is probably gone. A good route, provided you can't figure the issue out, is to delete your profile info. Google Earth gives you the ability to clear cache, or you can go to the files on your hard drive and delete your profile manually. This is "sorta kinda" advanced, but not a huge deal. Try the instructions above first.