cardiffchris

Pay Check Bounces-

What would you do if your employer bounced a paycheck to you?http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/style_images/1/folder_post_icons/icon7.gif

What if it happened more than once?

When i got my paycheck on tuesday it contained a note from the boss that said, "please wait until friday to cash your check"

Is that even legal?

I've been to the bank several times since, and the check keeps bouncing.

What would a persons options be if they wanted to continue working for the company?

What should a person do if they were ready to walk away?

Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.

Don't ask me! I'm in the same boat and would walk away yesterday if I could only find another job. The problem is of course that there is no other job to find. God only knows how many jobs I've applied for in the last year. :unsure: Meanwhile, I will go to the bank on Friday with mine. :rolleyes:

You can take the company to court so that if they go under you get your money. Some people at a game studio out of state had to do that recently because they werent getting paid. Line up a new job if you can. I mean if the company is not going to pull out of it anyway you should do your best to move on

Jason; chris' and mimi know "a better" job would be preferred... Not sure they have the luxury of taking another job.

Chris; eventually it clears right? Wait til it clears... Then cash it... Try to find a better job in the meantime

Jason; chris' and mimi know "a better" job would be preferred... Not sure they have the luxury of taking another job.

Chris; eventually it clears right? Wait til it clears... Then cash it... Try to find a better job in the meantime

Obviously, but you told him to try to find a better job too. My point is don't wait around for them to get better or to fix it, keep trying to cash the check while also looking out for more options. There are not a lot of options these days so you have to try and be creative =/

You go to your boss or HR and you tell them to pay you.

This is a cash flow problem for your company. What it means to you is that they are paying other people or companies instead of you. This means they have their priorities wrong. You need to alert them to this fact. It also means the way they do their accounting or their accountant is crap. They knew how much money was in the bank when they wrote those checks, and then willing wrote checks over that amount. That's just downright dishonest.

In the mean time stop working. You're not getting paid so there is no contractual obligation to provide more work for them. At this point you are a volunteer. Hell, You've probably been a volunteer for weeks. Tell them this.

Now at this point they will either agree with you and let you take "unpaid leave" until the mess gets straightened out, or they will try to convince you to keep working full time and they will promise to cover all hours. Its up to you to figure out if that's a risk you should take.

Also note that if your paycheck is bouncing, they also may not be paying into your retirement plan or your insurance thus leaving you triple fuct.

Finally, you might want try asking Google what your actual legal options are. But the first thing I'd do in the morning is go knock on some doors and let people know I can't afford to work for free. I would not be satisfied with words. I'd want some cash or a gander at the accounting (for what its worth) to keep me there working.

Hello! Mr Unpopular here (or about to be on this subject)

While I agree with all that has been typed paraphrasing:

Shouldn't happen, ever.

Not legal.

Not cool.

Poor accounting.

Insulting.

Danger sign.

This as all true. And I'd be angry.

That typed, it would depend on my relationship with my employer, and the value I place on my job with that company.

If I'm easily employable with plenty of offers on my desk from other people begging me to work for them for greater pay and benefits, I'd politely tender my resignation and move on.

But, if this is a small company who's struggling, who has a short-term cash flow problem (maybe a large vendor didn't pay, etc) I'd try to work with them.

As a two-company family, my wife and I have seen good times and , frankly, otherwise. Neither of us ever bounced a paycheck, but there have been times where drastic action has been taken to keep our companies alive.

The employer in this case did the wrong thing- no excuse. He/she should have had a conversation way in advance of payday with employees- like months ago- to let them know the company is struggling. But. People are getting laid off everywhere, and if I were employed right now, I'd do my best to stay that way, even if it meant negotiating with my current employer a deferred compensation package or some other way of getting through a rough patch.

And suing? Pursuing legal action? Best of luck- if the company can't pay a paycheck, they will certainly be unable to pay a judgment.

Be calm, work it out this time, ask what's going on (you deserve an explanation) so you'll know if it's a serious crisis or a short-term issue. YES, ask if your retirement/401k/health insurance is being fully funded. I'd also ask if your employer got HIS paycheck.

Also note that if your paycheck is bouncing, they also may not be paying into your retirement plan or your insurance

No worries there. There is no retirement plan, no insurance, no holiday, sick day or vacation pay. Also no overtime or hourly pay. You provide your own vehicle, your own fuel, your own equipment. They provide a radio phone and a name badge.

I would have never dreamed that this would be the only mismatched job I would be able to get. with my skills and talents. Every day that I go to work at this job, I feel unemployed, even when the paychecks don't bounce. And I look for work every day, just as I have every day since I lost my chosen profession job a little over a year ago.

As far as why they can't get the paychecks covered, they claim that it's because their clients aren't paying them on time.

CArdiff; my $.02 for what it's worth.

As an employer now for almost 25yrs i empathize with any business owner in this current climate. Countless friends who are also owners have depleted their personal savings; had their credit lines reduced or eliminated and are also challenged with A/R collections, all in the face of diminishing business activity.

My counsel, not discounting the wisdom already shared; if you believe in the company and/or owner; i'd ask them what their plan is mitigate this situation; where is the cash coming from to get over the hump? If they have a plan that seems acceptable, then perhaps you figure out how to weather the storm with them? If they don't, or if it doesn't seem plausible, then i'd agree with others, probably need a new job.

The days like the movie "Its a Wonderful Life" with Jimmy Stewart are unfortunately all but gone.

Job market sucks. Stay employed. Fakey & Moto seem to have some good advice. I might suggest registering with the temp agencies if you don't get a good explanation from your employer. If you get a temp call, take that for the day/week...?

If the business is sole owner or a partnership (not Inc.), a small claim action and/or lien against personal property (house) of the owner may be warranted.

Approach it professionally, get an explanation & proposed length of rough spot....I'm repeating FN....

Best of luck....for all in this time of hope & change.... :rolleyes:

This is what I'd do

scarface.jpg

Just kidding, please don't take my advice. Take everybody elses.

Wait did I just give you advice? I did, umm my advice is to take these other guy's advice.

I hope you and your employer can work something out, this is a really tough time. I wish you the best.

talk to your boss and let em know you might be willing to sit down and talk about a pay cut during this hard time.

If you are willing to do so, and if the company makes it through these rough times, you will or should be remembered

as a person who was willing to take a hit for the company.

Your check should never bounce and if it happens, you should walk into your bosses office and ask him to cash it for you.

Ask him to take him to the bank and have the monies removed from his saving account, you have a family to provide for.

Talk to him/her with respect, letting them know you understand the hardship we all are going through.

If they dont understand that your willing to help out, screw em and wait it out and bail.

you might have to take 2 jobs to make ends meet, but its not forever

BTW what line of work are you in?

I must be missing something. Did they give you a check and ask you to hold it until Friday (meaning there was not sufficient funds in the account), and you went down and tried to deposit it a couple of times before Friday and are surprised it bounced?

I don't know the situation, but I don't think it could have hurt to talk to them about it when you got the note. I think what I would do would depend on the situation. If they were taking out a mortgage out on their house to make payroll, and it was not going to finalize until Thursday, I think I would cut them some slack. If they just remodeled their house in Barbados with company money and can't make payroll, that is a different story.

How do they treat their employee's when times are good? Do you enjoy what you do? What is your gut telling you? If the company isn't going to survive the economy, it makes no difference, you need to seek alternate employment. I can tell you that there are a lot of folks looking for work now, it is a pretty competitive work market.

Communication with your employer is the key to your best course of action, good luck, I hope everything works out for the best. Ken

My mom deals with this every other week. but she tells "at least i have job and son that pays my bills"

The company i work for canceled all bonuses and raise this year.

Killed my bottom line, o well.

Getting depressed, leaving thread.

I was able to cash my check at a branch of their bank in Mira Mesa at noon, today. I NEVER deposit one of their checks into my account. I always go to their bank, cash it and then deposit that into my bank. I've never worked for a company where I had to do that before. :huh: Four days late is better than never, but it can be really tough on people who absolutely live pay check to pay check.

I was able to cash my check at a branch of their bank in Mira Mesa at noon, today. I NEVER deposit one of their checks into my account. I always go to their bank, cash it and then deposit that into my bank. I've never worked for a company where I had to do that before. :blink: Four days late is better than never, but it can be really tough on people who absolutely live pay check to pay check.

mimi; I know where you're coming from... Hopefully things will improve soon

I can hardly wait for the next boom...