Hello everyone,

I am new to the group, and just wanted to check in, and say Hello.

I rode as a kid, then haven't riden much for years. My kids expressed an interest so I found a BMW 650 xchallenge that was just such a blast to ride. A couple of friends have similar bikes, all plated and we meet up at the Pine Valley exit off 8 a couple times a month. I think we're talking about doing a ride by a taco stand on the way to the back side of Otay before too long. I broke the clutch lever so I'm out of commission until it comes in.

I guess I'll take the chance to ask a question: What do you think are the first 5 things to buy for protection, after the helmet of course, for off road dual sport riding? I got boots the other day and am looking at a Rallye or tourtech type jacket with armor. I have decent gloves, so after the jacket, I guess pants? Some pics have guys with knee pads, other pics I can't tell.

Anyway, your suggestions are welcomed. I don't want to weigh more than needed, but I don't want to tweak or break something either.

Thanks, and looking forward to meeting up!

Welcome to the site ;)

As far as gear goes, most of us live by the same principle, ATGATT. (All The Gear, All The Time)

Boots, Knee/Shin guards, Chest Protector, Elbow Guards, Helmet. Some guys wear a kidney belt and some wear the LEATT neck brace. You can't go wrong with wearing ALL the gear, it will save ya some skin or maybe a broken bone or 7 sometime. Most of the protective gear these days is VERY light, and you'll hardly notice you're even wearing it after a while.

Once again, welcome to the site, and check the informal rides section and join up with us sometime!

Welcome!

A piece of gear I depend on is my Dianese Safety Jacket. It has the chest protector, elbow,shoulder and very importantly, back protector in one net-connected garment. Other manufacturers make similar versions. I fall a lot, and this has been extremely valuable- in addition to boots, gloves, helmet, etc.

fn

Welcome to the group. I think that almost everybody wears knee protection, some over their pants and others under theirs. I guess it's what is most convenient or comfortable for you. Definitely cover your knees and upper shins with some kind of protection. ;)

I also ride the Xchallenge; first thing i did was to install a bottom plate to protect the sump pump. This is a MUST have on that bike. The rear rack is also nice for carrying some gear.

Welcome to the group! ;)

After the helmet and a really good pair of boots, knee pads, Elbow pads, a good enduro jacket, riding pants and jersey ( I just use motocross stuff).

MSR has some decent jackets at reasonable prices. Oh and Moose has good offroad stuff.

M.U. welcome to the group. I will have to second what Christi said about the boots. I almost had a cow when I paid what I thought was a kings ransom for my boots. My Sidis have saved my feet, ankles and lower legs time and time again and have been worth every penny and then some.

I would not consider riding without my pressure suit. I wear one made by Rockgarden and have extensively field tested it :lol: . One particular ride, I probably would have been airlifted, had I not been wearing it. I have a paded jacket for riding fire roads and street, but off road it is the pressure suit with an underarmor shirt under it.

I tore my MCL and miniscus in my left knee before I started wearing my hinged knee guards, I don't think I would have done that damage to my knee had I been wearing them at the time.

See you on a ride sometime soon. ;) Ken

Welcome.. I ride by at least once a month. I have been up in the hills searching for mines. Found lots of old trails that are overgrown and fun.

Welcome mostly upright ;)

in addition to what everyone else said: training

and thanks for the plug Mr. 'slutto

I like the AXO hinged knee guards, but I currently have the Alpinestar brand. If you're real serious about not tearing up a knee, the hinged braces are the way to go.

I also like my EVS ballistic jersey. Cool in the summer and plenty of armor (with the intergrated kidney belt).

You also can't beat the Ogio riding vest. I pack mine with water, snacks, med kit, maps, and still have room for a couple of tools - very handy piece of gear.

Hope to ride with you soon!

Welcome to the site. I recommend a pressure suit. Back, elbow, chest protector in one with a kidney belt too! I have the EVS. Lots of opinions on Knee Pads vs Hinged supports. I have EVS Hinged supports that I almost never wear - they are not very comfortable. Here are a couple links to look at on this.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archive/i...p/t-221730.html

http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.p...;hl=knee+braces

Welcome mostly upright :lol:

in addition to what everyone else said: training

and thanks for the plug Mr. 'slutto

I like the AXO hinged knee guards, but I currently have the Alpinestar brand. If you're real serious about not tearing up a knee, the hinged braces are the way to go.

I also like my EVS ballistic jersey. Cool in the summer and plenty of armor (with the intergrated kidney belt).

You also can't beat the Ogio riding vest. I pack mine with water, snacks, med kit, maps, and still have room for a couple of tools - very handy piece of gear.

Hope to ride with you soon!

welcome back MOD! Have a nice vacation?

re: OGIO vest... I think when hot weather rolls around again, I am going back to a chest protector and fanny/fender packs... my O'GIO vest is pretty warm... for cold weather, it's great.