Guest Hammerin Hammon

Rider shot, in Baja. Surfing Carlsbad is looking better

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthrea...ighlight=mexico

Over 130 people killed in a month or two???? I wouldn't go across the border myself but to each his/her own. Granted, most are in a drug war but the cross fire isn't worth the risk. It's a desparate place in my humble opinion.

I just returned from a conference which in one presentation highlighted those in law enforcement south of the border who helped us up here on cases. 3 killed in the last year. Should speak volumes.

I love riding and need to get back in the water but will do it here at Home.

I guess ill watch the baja on tv again this year my trip is off. safe huh? i love the comments on the ut sight.

and the shouldnt ride in bfe comments i guess he deserved it cuz he was off trail. and the hunter idea is funny too, cuz at 75 yards my one eyed grandma could tell a dirt bike rider....safe huh bummer X

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Today, 12:05 AM #16 (permalink)

123BigcoopDawg576

TT Gold Member

This is how the article from what really happened should read:

Shooting Occurs During SCORE Baja 1000 Prerun Opening Weekend

Dirt Bike Moto Rider Steve Martz SHOT by a Mexican near Jamau, Baja California

Ensenada, Baja California — (November 2, 2008) 4:45PM UPDATE: The rider and shooting victim has been identified as Steve Martz, who finished the 2007 SCORE Baja 1000 in 5th position in Class 22, Open Pro Motorcycles. Martz was riding with teammate/driver of record, Dan Walsh along with Aaron Cooper near Mike's Sky Rancho on Sunday heading home from pre running in Northern Baja.

Sometime in the middle of the night, their chase crew driving a pickup truck left for Mexicali seemingly abandoning the three riders at Mikes Sky Rancho. Chris Haines Motorcycle Tours also spent the night at Mikes Sky Rancho and agreed to tote the riders gear bags to Ensenada while the three riders rode North to Ojos to catch the course up to RM120 and finally on home.

The riders ventured into the dirt at the turn off to Jamau and headed north and came across a fence line covered in brush where the shooting took place. As Steve road towards the gate, I (Aaron Cooper) was about 40 feet behind Steve when I saw him fall over as if he had went to put his foot down but the ground was not there. As I looked up and to the right I saw a man with a gun on the other side of the fence about 100 feet out behind a large bush. He was aiming a gun at in our direction. Before I could get to Steve I was off the bike running to get out of the man’s line of sight. I was screaming at Dan to stop as he was coming up behind me.

Martz was struck in the sternum by what was described to DIRTnewz as a small caliber bullet. With Martz on the ground, Cooper scrambled for cover. Dan Walsh arrived and thought that Martz and Cooper were joking around when in fact Martz had been shot in the chest. Walsh attempted to start Martz' moto kicking it some 10-15 times but it wouldn't start. Aaron ran over and pushed the bike out of the line of site and tried to start the bike with no luck. They abandoned Martz' bike and put Martz on the back of Walsh' motorcycle and headed for Highway 3. Enroute they discovered that the shooting victim Martz could not hold on the back of Walsh while riding. They stopped 1.5 miles from the shooting and began to make emergency calls. Aaron’s first call was to Binational Emergency were no one answered. Aaron’s second call was to his Dad. After getting the call for help out, we placed Steve on Walsh bike and let Martz ride solo to the highway. Once at the highway, Dan and Aaron waved any and every vehicle done for help.

Desert Assassin's Trophy Truck driver, Cameron Steele and his wife, Heidi Steele, were prerunning near Borrego when they decided to head to Ojos and prerun RM 40-120. While traveling through Valle Trinidad one of the Desert Assassin's crew members saw Dan Walsh in the back of a military Hummer and Cameron and his crew went to investigate what was going on.

Afterwards when approaching Mexicali in his chase vehicles, Cam Steele told DIRTnewz over the phone the story that unfolded.

"One of my guys said Dan was in the back of a military Hummer and I thought that was strange so we headed into Trinidad to see what was up. We found Walsh and Martz at the medical clinic in Trinidad and helped them with the process of a Med-A-Vac. The chopper finally arrived from Tijuana and it was so small I first thought this could not be the chopper. The pilot jumped out and began refueling the chopper with a 15 gallon gas container he brought with him inside the chopper. While he was syphoning the Jet A fuel, the medical paramedic was strapping in Martz on a backboard, but his legs from the knees down were hanging out the chopper. We wrapped up his legs with a blanket and heavy on the duct tape and they strapped him down with some straps similar to motorcycle straps and then the paramedic was kneeling above Martz as they flew away. It was truly incredible but it got the job done. Last I heard from Oscar Ramos, the SCORE Attorney, was that Martz was in surgery in Tijuana."

Walsh and Cooper were being transported individually by Cam Steele's chase crews, one to Tecate with the Desert Assassins scheduled to cross the border before 10pm Sunday evening.

(quote)TT.

My Take:

After sitting back and going over what happened, it was clear that the shooter WAS NOT a rancher. I believe that Dan, Steve and I rode up on a drug farm. If you read the article you will notice that the gate was covered with branches to almost make it "blend in" with the surroundings. Also the shooter was dress in clothes that seemed to "blend in" as well. Once at the highway, I gave directions to the Police and the Military to where the bike was and neither agency went looking for it. I wonder why?

For those who have never had a gun pointed at your let me say that is terrifying. It was scary to know that the guy your looking at from 100 feet away has already shot one of your friends.

I must say that Steve is THE MAN as he rode 10 miles back to the high way (against his will! )

At two separate times, Dan and I prayed over Steve lifting him up to the Lord. This whole thing has been a miracle from God.

From the locals helping us get Steve to VTD and Cameron's crew helping out things happened.

I am all for a 100% boycott of everything SCORE Baja related until the Mexican government can get their people and their police under control. I will not even look for updates on TV or the web. This is bullshit. The agency that sanctions the Dakar Rally pulled out this year because of too much tension in certain countries. I think it's time for SCORE to do the same. We put way too much money into the local economies there to let this type of ---- go on year after year.

Edit: I can type bullshit but ---- alone doesn't come up. How peculiar...

I am all for a 100% boycott of everything SCORE Baja related until the Mexican government can get their people and their police under control. I will not even look for updates on TV or the web. This is bullshit. The agency that sanctions the Dakar Rally pulled out this year because of too much tension in certain countries. I think it's time for SCORE to do the same. We put way too much money into the local economies there to let this type of ---- go on year after year.

Edit: I can type bullshit but ---- alone doesn't come up. How peculiar...

I SECOND THAT!

I guess ill watch the baja on tv again this year my trip is off. safe huh? i love the comments on the ut sight.

and the shouldnt ride in bfe comments i guess he deserved it cuz he was off trail. and the hunter idea is funny too, cuz at 75 yards my one eyed grandma could tell a dirt bike rider....safe huh bummer X

That U-T article quotes Oscar Ramos, a SCORE attorney. It looks like SCORE doesn't want the real story, that Martz was shot by someone guarding a pot farm, to get out. That would mean less people participating in their Baja races and less money for them.

Link to U-T Article if anyone's interested: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/mexico/...yclistshot.html

I agree with HondaPilot's post.

It'll be interesting to see where this specific event goes on the law enforcement front. There is an exact location of the shooting, friends of the rider were able to recover the bike. This seems to be an exception. Much of the crime on Americans is by mobile attackers. This appears to be by someone that had something to protect. No doubt the "something" is close to the shooting scene. If the Mexican law enforcement agencies have any ability, they should be able to figure this one out. Maybe not exactly who did it, but at the very least uncover the reason an armed gunman is patrolling a remote area of Baja.

There's enough assumed risk with riding dirtbikes in Baja without the added, very real, possibility of becoming one of the growing crime statistics down there.

you have more faith in mexican authority than i do. maybe the police should get their sling shots and go find this place... wait! it was probly a police with a slingshot who shot him, protecting his little cash crop

I have been on the phone with Joe Derosier of Joe Hauler products this morning, we are old friends and he sponsors our Desert dash. He told me the same story about steve being shot on purpose coming up on some camo covered gate near Keeley wash ? spelling? The bullit ricocheyed around in his chest . He has holes in his stomach and they removed his spleen. Joe and steve have raced together and on opposite teams for years.

This is why people should have the right to carry firearms. If you are law abiding, you should have the right to protect yourself from criminal assholes that have no regard for others lives. It would be nice to see some :D vigilanties go down and clean house!

you have more faith in mexican authority than i do. maybe the police should get their sling shots and go find this place... wait! it was probly a police with a slingshot who shot him, protecting his little cash crop

I actually have zero faith. The stance from Mexico is that they're doing their best to rid the area of crime. Well, here you go, a scenario that is setup for an investigation. My interest is seeing what the authorities actually wind up doing with it.

HUNTER?!!! OMG! What a crock!

Well, I am officially scared now.

All the violence I had heard about prior to this was near the border or just booby traps during the races. I had no qualms about riding there...until NOW.

It's hard to believe this happened in Valle T! I go through Valle T everytime I ride Baja!

It's a very sad time. :D

This sucks, I was hoping to go to Baja at least once this winter, even for a day, but now.........NOT !! :angry:

One thing to keep in mind is that this was not really BFE (for Mexico anyway). It appears from the GPS tracks I saw posted on thumpertalk or somewhere that this actually happened right on the road from Ramonas to the Goat trail (about 10 miles above the goat trail). This does seem to be the middle of nowhere when you ride it, but it gets a decent amount of traffic. A lot of it from off roaders.

That is what surprises me, if this happened it places motorcycles don't frequent I would understand. But, this was relatively heavily traveled. Anyway, i was down there the week before (right there) and there was nothing funny going on...but I guess things change in a week.

I always have wanted to go to Baja, but every time I think about it lately, somebody else has just gotten robbed or shot or something. I think that I won't think about it anymore. :angry:

That is quite an account. If you haven't read the referenced word document from the TT post, take some time to check it out.

Just got a call about this from a riding buddy who missed this trip- his shock had been incorrectly repaired and he couldn't go.

fn

Folks...

Ran across this thread, when searching something... 
And, as some know... Steve's a good friend, and race partner.

You can get shot anywhere...
The point is, when shot in Baja... dialing 911 isn't available.

When riding down there, keep your head on a swivel... know where you are at all times, and keep a list of available clinics. Have a working phone (Cellular or Satellite), and if possible... utilize a chase vehicle. I know it's not manly to have a chase vehicle, but... it's SMART.  

If you need some lists of good viable clinics, let me know and I'd be glad to share.
... there's news as of late, that some clinics are known to be corrupt to US Citizens. A local hospital put out a news bulletin to their staff, of which places to try and avoid. Of course, in an emergency the nearest is the solution... but it's good to know their history.

Didn't want to open a can of worms, just thought it'd be an important reminder...  Ride safe, and know help is not always a phone call away.

I also noticed the incident so old, that a lot of links are gone or not working.

Here's the story, from Dan Walsh's writing;
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2x3mu0gddk02u43/Martz_Baja_Shooting.pdf?dl=0

And the overlay, of the area where he was shot, and the phone call made to BiNational;
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fi6vobblrzd6b9d/shooting%20overlay.jpg?dl=0

J-

(photos by me)

Steve's number plate, after he got home - done by Dan Walsh
1924281_1069950035740_8380_n.jpg

Group photo - Steve's Dad, SteveM, DanW, and myself1924281_1069950155743_9132_n.jpg

I was contemplating going on a trip over the 4th weekend. I think ill pass for sure now. I think ill head north?

5 minutes ago, 1NaAdv said:

I was contemplating going on a trip over the 4th weekend. I think ill pass for sure now. I think ill head north?

No reason to not go...

It's no safer today, then 20+yrs ago.  BUT, if your prepared and knowledgeable of your trip... it's helpful. Hence the reason for me to post in the first place.  I mean... I used to go down there, flip flops in a backpack and riding at speed. No comms, no chase... just me and a couple amigos. Not anymore. I plan for the worse, and hope for the best. Usually, ending with a few bumps/bruises but the better, HUGE smiles!

SteveM, his friends, and myself... still ride down there on occasion.
... now, we're even more prepared. Ride in big groups (4 or more), and carry lots of communication (SPOT, Sat phone, etc). As well, have a chase truck waiting in the next town for us (usually, for fuel and snacks). Chase truck also has a Sat phone, and SPOT tracking it's location.    ....costly, and a pain-in-the-ass...  but if it's there, and not needed... at least it's there!

You know the old saying; Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

Not worth the risk for me. I was on the fence . Too many places to ride here. 

9 minutes ago, 1NaAdv said:

Not worth the risk for me. I was on the fence . Too many places to ride here. 

I understand...

Baja isn't for everyone. Whether travelling, riding, etc.  

Just don't want this post to again (as it has on other forums) be a "baja bashing" as that's not it's intent.  It is/was to inform.