Fargoin

Sentri Pass and crossing with bikes

Anyone here have experience with Sentri/Global Entry?

I recently received my Sentri pass.  When I spoke with the Customs Border Protection agent that issued it he told me transporting bikes in the truck bed was fine, but he was unsure if a receiver hitch bike carrier would be ok.  His concern was the license plate might be blocked, but that would be an easy fix.  Anyone have any experience with this?

FYI, no trailers in the Sentri lane.

Guest Jdawg

When I got my Global Entry Pass i asked something similar ( I was inquiring about sentri) and I was told if it is not registered under your four allowed vehicles you will be denied entry and be pushed to the normal cattle call lanes (non-sentri).  I would personally be surprised if they allowed it, at least without a minimum of “it will be permited this one time, but don’t do it again kind of warning.”  Then again, if you have them both registered under the program it might be legit.   I say give it a whirl Earl and report back.

Also, be advised that no non-sentri persons are allowed in your vehicle when crossing in the sentri lane.  Your pass can be quickly revoked for violations at the discretion of the CBP.

Thanks JDawg.  I will probably wait until I get pulled in secondary for the initial inspection and ask the officer doing the inspection.  

4 hours ago, Jdawg said:

I was told if it is not registered under your four allowed vehicles you will be denied entry and be pushed to the normal cattle call lanes (non-sentri). 

This was my understanding as well, along with the warning they can and WILL pull SENTRI passes for violations.

16 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

This was my understanding as well, along with the warning they can and WILL pull SENTRI passes for violations.

I will ask when I go through. The example the border agent gave me was that he would transport quads his the back of his truck and cross the border using his Sentri pass.  But of course he is an agent, so he may have received preferential treatment.

Guest Jdawg

I looked on the CBP website, and nothing directly addresses your question/concern. I would say your plan to ask in secondary is a good path to take.  

Do fill us in how it all works out.

It also could depend on whether or not the bike is plated or OHV. If it's plated and not enrolled in SENTRI it could be construed as using non-SENTRI vehicle in SENTRI lane.   

A few months ago we crossed thru SENTRI with 2 OHV bikes and 1 plated (non-SENTRI) bike in bed of truck with no issues.....just saying