BSon2or4

2019 New California Motor Vehicle Law

Welcome everybody to 2019 in California, and all of the new laws.  Trying to stay legal and out of trouble I was doing my research for all of the new laws that came into effect as of the beginning of the year and ran across a couple of rant videos on Youtube about a new noise compliance law for vehicles that included motorcycles.  It would appear that the state has, in an effort to crack down on street racing, passed a law limiting the noise level of on road motor vehicles to 95 db, getting rid of the fix it ticket warning system and paving the way for a $1,000.00 fine, and here's the kicker, a mandatory visit to a Bureau of Automotive Repair Referee for a compliance inspection where they can go through your vehicle with a microscope looking for non-C.A.R.B. compliant parts to enforce compliance.  I haven't looked up all of the details as I wasn't looking up those law changes in particular but felt compelled to share this with the group as a means of allowing everybody to get ahead of it.  Sounds like another ill conceived means to an unachievable end to me, but then again this is California so it wasn't really shocking.  Let the games begin!

I myself don't care for loud noises or being disturbed while at home. However, with that said, I also do not like AB1824. It is not necessary. As much as I don't like the loud noises, I would rather have the loud noises then this law.

I fear that we have become a society that is limiting freedom, personal accountability and independence at an alarming rate. It has very much gotten to where if anyone doesn't like what someone else is doing, they can try to get a law passed to make it illegal. I don't think we need hundreds of new laws signed into the books every year, but hey, that is just me.

As a veteran law enforcement officer, and traffic enforcement (motor officer), I have plenty of direct experience with this subject. I'm also a conservative on the spectrum and believe in minimal government intrusion in our lives, including the enactment of new laws. With that said, motor vehicle noise ordinances are needed for the betterment of society as a whole. Traffic complaints are the number 1 complaint most PD's receive. And among those, most are loud vehicle complaints . It is a significant problem in many areas.

When I write citations (up until now) for these violations, the drivers merely would smile, sign the ticket, and go about their day. They do that because like Jdawg said, they know all they have to do is go home, reinstall their stock exhaust, and get the ticket signed off on....$25 court admin fee and they are back to annoying peaceful people everywhere. The law was practically useless the way it was written.

Loud exhaust serve no purpose at all. They are annoying as hell. And they do have a negative impact on the lives of free Americans. And when we consider new laws, we have to weigh the loss of freedom to an individual with the benefit to society as a whole. 

• Like 2

Comments redacted

I have a sound pressure meter and would be happy to test anyone's bike as per the AMA testing guidelines for their sanctioned events. However, you can download an app for your phone and get a pretty accurate measurement from your driveway without an actual test meter.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PastaPilot said:

Comments redacted

I have a sound pressure meter and would be happy to test anyone's bike as per the AMA testing guidelines for their sanctioned events. However, you can download an app for your phone and get a pretty accurate measurement from your driveway without an actual test meter.

Looks like a large chunk of the thread has been deleted?

The sound app only goes to 87 db, I think on my phone. Each phone is different because each phone has a different microphone.

Like I say: "Loud is out" and yes there is more I don't like on some Biker habits.

On 1/11/2019 at 10:29 AM, Oracle said:

Loud exhaust serve no purpose at all. They are annoying as hell. And they do have a negative impact on the lives of free Americans. And when we consider new laws, we have to weigh the loss of freedom to an individual with the benefit to society as a whole. 

Thanks Oracle - You the Man, Literally.       

"Your freedom stops when you impact my quality of life."  Bagstr    😎

P.S.  Is there a restriction against the barking dogs across my fence that I have lived with for 3 decades?

I live, as the crow flies, about one mile directly uphill (a clear shot) from Interstate 5, one of the major highways of the world. Big trucks, tractor-trailers, supercars 24/7. And we live directly northeast of the airport (on the hill above GP Cycles).

90% of the loud noises I hear are motorcycles. The rest are relatively quiet.

Think about that- one ahole with a GSXR100000 and a Jerker pipe can disturb thousands of people at home all along their route of travel. That's a lot of people that a single ahole disturbs. And as much as I also dislike boom-toobed Harleys on the residential streets, the freeway offenders are "sport bikes"- high RPM.

The International Airport is quieter than the motorcycles on the freeway.

I understand and personally embrace the small-government ethos- except for loud pipes and smoking in public places.

Being in Escondido I experience more cars as opposed to motorcycles, but there is a serious problem with street racing in Escondido.  A ton of import tuners and muscle car enthusiasts with the occasional bike note coming through.  I can hear both the 78, the 15 , and El Norte Parkway from my house, all of which have had fatality accidents from street racing.  I personally like the regulation and understand the door it opens.  It doesn't effect me as all of my vehicles are stock and won't produce that level of note as such.  Unlike the mustang that passed me doing in excess of 80 on the South 15  freeway the other night that I could still hear but not see 5 minutes later.

Bags, as for the dogs, check the local CC&R's if you live in an association type of community or local noise and animal control ordinances if you don't.  I've had a friend lose his dogs legally for barking complaints, so it is possible, I just don't know the whole back story that led up to it.

Barking dogs...the second most prolific law enforcement call, of which cops can do very little and most departments don't even respond to them anymore.

Best bet, contact the department of animal service. They will send someone out to talk to your neighbor and do an "investigation".

Second, document the situation extensively and contact the National Conflict Resolution Center at (619) 238-2400.

2 minutes ago, Oracle said:

the National Conflict Resolution Center at (619) 238-2400.

Hey!

Spent lots of time training and working with NCRC, MrsBowers has been on the board there for 12+ years. 

Great organization. 

I live along Rancho Sante Fe Rd in North County.  One of my driveways is right off the road and one edge of my property runs along the road.  We have just under a couple of acres so our house is removed a ways from the road and up on a bit of a hill.  But there are some really loud cars and bikes that rip along the road from time to time.

Would like better enforcement of the noise limitations but don't really like the CARB bit thrown in with the law.  Should be mandatory impound for Harleys with straight pipes.

As time moves on, I suspect the noise volume will drop a bit as more people switch to electric cars.  But even with electric cars we'll still have a fair bit of tire and wind noise left.

On 1/13/2019 at 6:53 AM, erik_26 said:

Looks like a large chunk of the thread has been deleted?

The sound app only goes to 87 db, I think on my phone. Each phone is different because each phone has a different microphone.

If I ever get out and ride again and we happen to be out in the same day I'd be glad to bring the sound tester. 

On 1/13/2019 at 9:25 AM, Bagstr said:

Thanks Oracle - You the Man, Literally.       

"Your freedom stops when you impact my quality of life."  Bagstr    😎

P.S.  Is there a restriction against the barking dogs across my fence that I have lived with for 3 decades?

I manufacture "ultrasonic dog cannons" that will work on your neighborhood canines... 70$ PM me

10 hours ago, Reximus said:

I manufacture "ultrasonic dog cannons" that will work on your neighborhood canines... 70$ PM me

Hi Reximus, what is the frequency or decibels of sound that your cannons emit? What is the "kilohertz" being used? What is the affective distance range from the unit? Any testing made for potential affects to any other animals in the area? Thanks...

20 khz+ cycles. Can tune it above human audibility. It would annoy anything that can hear it. Range, 100 ft? PM me and I can send you plans, or swing by and i can build you one.

1 hour ago, Reximus said:

20 khz+ cycles. Can tune it above human audibility. It would annoy anything that can hear it. Range, 100 ft? PM me and I can send you plans, or swing by and i can build you one.

Thank you. I'll think on this a bit. I appreciate it.