BattleJesus

New Rider in Lakeside

Hello all! I recently delved into ADV riding, and I'm excited to join the group! I picked up a 2002 KTM 640 Adventure, and hope to join you guys once I get some more seat time. Does anyone have any tips, or advice on riding off road? I haven't been in the dirt since I was 17, and this is a whole different type of bike than what Im used to. Maybe one of you will be willing to go with me and hit some trails while I learn, and provide me with tips on how to improve? I'm very excited to start riding ADV.

Thank you, all! 

IMG_20190103_182215.jpg

Ohhhh pretty bike, your'e going to scratch it. I don,t think those tires will serve well off road, but none the less the bike will do anything you ask of it. join up with any ride, otay mountain, or ride from Pine Valley to julian, join any ride you want , P.M. me if you have questions about ride or group suitability.

Welcome.

That's a sweet looking KTM.   Yeah, get some better tires for some of the more serious stuff.  

Welcome to the group, see ya on the trail.

Welcome to the forum!  Look for NOOB rides posted here from time to time.

7 minutes ago, BattleJesus said:

Do you have any tire recommendations?

Now you opened up a can of worms (I have opened the same can before!) :)

Nice bike; welcome to the page!

Welcome, see ya on the trail 👍

Motoventures up near Anza does classes. 

This guy is really good 

14 hours ago, BattleJesus said:

Do you have any tire recommendations?

I recommend the round ones!  

• Like 1

Welcome! Yeah, another windscreened 600!

I think I saw that bike on craigslist... I'm guessing you scored with that one, congratulations!

Seems getting comfortable standing and just having more ride time is the best thing you can do at this point. To start, I'd suggest linking as many "fire roads" together as you can. Boulder Creek Road, Black Canyon etc. Your tires will do fine on anything other than mud, sand, steep climbs/descents (perfect for fire roads), by the time you wear that rear out you'll have a better idea of the type of riding you want to be doing and tire that would be ideal for you at that time. Heading straight to sand or mud with that beauty might be regrettable.

Almost all the big bike tips are applicable. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWh6PvzNVeOmEU065h-8kUw

More advanced content.  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJAvmhgP0h1AEKY8vTEJPJg

Basics 

Hope to see you on a ride.

Cheers!

ps my favorite local fire road tire... 😍

k73_1606017_1.jpg

13254893_10204967822073670_7441213152737:thumbsup_anim:

• Like 1